Where to hunt BIG Cape buffalo free range?

50by50

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
S. Africa and Namibia
Hey guys-

I’m looking at doing a Cape buffalo/ plains game hunt next. I’m attracted to the free ranging herds and am getting very confused on all the options so wanted to see what the opinions are out there.

Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, South Africa (are there truly wild and free roaming Cape buffalo hunts there?), Tanzania (too expensive?), botswama

I’m a trophy hunter and am looking for a country and area with a 40” plus potential.

thanks guys!

Hey guys-

I’m looking at doing a Cape buffalo/ plains game hunt next. I’m attracted to the free ranging herds and am getting very confused on all the options so wanted to see what the opinions are out there.

Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia, South Africa (are there truly wild and free roaming Cape buffalo hunts there?), Tanzania (too expensive?), botswama

I’m a trophy hunter and am looking for a country and area with a 40” plus potential.

thanks guys!

Sir, I've sent you a PM.

Hello 50x50, i am sure there is true free range in Mozambique, Zimbabwe and Tanzania. I don't know enough about Zambia and South Africa to comment. What I am certain of is that the Zimbabwean Zambezi valley areas are truly wild and unfenced and I have seen very large buff there. The Save Valley Conservancy also holds huge buff, and although partially fenced it is massive, hundreds of thousands of acres. The swamp lands in the Mozambique Coutadas are vast and wild and hold massive buff, but you must be willing to wade through swamp with all the discomforts, which I am not.

From what I have hunted I would suggest the following in no particular order:
1) Botswana: if it’s a buffalo hunt in Bots it’s wild!
2) Zambezi valley in Zim
3) Upper Luangwa valley in Zambia
4) Save conservancy in Zim
I have hunted all of these areas and can assure you that they are wild. There is no other option in these areas so you can rest comfortable that you won’t have a nasty surprise on that account. As Kevin mentioned, there are perimeter fences on the Save but it is massive and truly wild.

There are many other areas, these are just some that I have personal experience with. Best of luck!

If price is an issue, zimbabwe is hard to beat. And the hunt is wild for sure. I shot a +40 buffalo in the Zambezi valley in 2014. If price is not a problem, then Tanzania is the way to go. I cannot talk about other countries.

Also looking at this very hard. Seems to be a lot of good reports from the Luangwa valley. Will follow this closely.

I took a buffalo in a free range area against Kruger, buffalo was 46”. They were fully wild and open with the park but the hunt was missing the wilderness factor I’ve experienced in other countries. They also come with a high price tag. I think I would go with a properly managed high fence area if I hunt buffalo in South Africa again.
For my next buffalo hunt, I booked a trip to the Zambezi valley in Zimbabwe because I wanted that wilderness factor and to really have to work hard for the buffalo, but I don’t have an expectation to get a 40” buffalo there.

I've hunted buff in Zim, TZ and Zambia. My biggest buff (in my profile pic) was taken in the Luangwa. No idea how many inches but I was extremely happy with it and you'd be hard pressed to find a more wild area, our charter pilot got lost trying to find the airstrip!

I took a buffalo in a free range area against Kruger, buffalo was 46”. They were fully wild and open with the park but the hunt was missing the wilderness factor I’ve experienced in other countries. They also come with a high price tag. I think I would go with a properly managed high fence area if I hunt buffalo in South Africa again.
For my next buffalo hunt, I booked a trip to the Zambezi valley in Zimbabwe because I wanted that wilderness factor and to really have to work hard for the buffalo, but I don’t have an expectation to get a 40” buffalo there.

I shot my biggest buff in one of the Kruger reserves. As you stated, the buff are free range but the area is not a wilderness area which is why I did not list it.

Also looking at this very hard. Seems to be a lot of good reports from the Luangwa valley. Will follow this closely.

The Luangwa valley is amazing and hunt prices, although typically higher than Zim, are not that much higher. What you need to watch is transport costs. Some areas are a reasonable drive in from Lusaka or Mfewe, some require a bush flight, which can significantly increase cost.

I can only attest to the swamp coutadas of Mozambique: They are the real deal for wide bulls, solid dagga boys, and a wild hunt, lowland plains game included.

I have taken buffalo in Namibia's Caprivi (1), Mozambique's Zambezi Delta (2), and South Africa (1). The Caprivi and Mozambique are true wilderness areas. That said, South Africa can offer an exciting hunt, but likely not what you would call true wilderness.

Couple of my reports below:

An important consideration. In a wilderness area, your PH will work his butt off to find you the best bull he can in the time allotted. On a game farm, you may be in a situation where larger bulls carry a premium price tag.

I have taken buffalo in Namibia's Caprivi (1), Mozambique's Zambezi Delta (2), and South Africa (1). The Caprivi and Mozambique are true wilderness areas. That said, South Africa can offer an exciting hunt, but likely not what you would call true wilderness.

Couple of my reports below:

An important consideration. In a wilderness area, your PH will work his butt off to find you the best bull he can in the time allotted. On a game farm, you may be in a situation where larger bulls carry a premium price tag.
I would like to hunt Zambezi delta someday for the experience, but how big were the buffalo you shot there? Most buffalo photos I see from there don’t approach the 40” mark.

Hey guys-

thanks guys!
Can you give us an Idea on what your Budget is, that way can can really rule out Tanzania, unless of course if it falls within your Budget.

I would like to hunt Zambezi delta someday for the experience, but how big were the buffalo you shot there? Most buffalo photos I see from there don’t approach the 40” mark.
The first I took was an ancient but smallish bull. He has a large boss, but is well under forty-inches.
Buffalo

The second was an honest forty.
40 Cotada 14 Bull and PH Boet van Aardt

There are plenty of forty class bulls available in the swamp. The problem is the effort to get in and out to make a hunt. Multiple attempts are hard on everyone, and a mature bull starts to look awfully good regardless of width. That said, it is my favorite place to hunt them.
Carrying out meat and trophies - Coutada 14

Zambezi Delta

The Caprivi bull in my avatar went 42 and easily makes the SCI min of 100. It is also a fabulous wilderness experience.
Buffalo

50x50

Hope all is well. We can offer you a free range Cape buffalo Safari in either Namibia - Caprivi or Tanzania - Selous Game Reserve.
PM sent.

Thank you.
Enjoy your day.

Reactions: AES
Hey guys-

thanks guys!
Tanzania

If price is an issue, zimbabwe is hard to beat. And the hunt is wild for sure. I shot a +40 buffalo in the Zambezi valley in 2014. If price is not a problem, then Tanzania is the way to go. I cannot talk about other countries.
Thanks Rafaellinne- Price is definitely a consideration. Hope to be like many of you someday but for now, my hunting budget is not unlimited.

Appreciate the help man.

50x50

Hope all is well. We can offer you a free range Cape buffalo Safari in either Namibia - Caprivi or Tanzania - Selous Game Reserve.
PM sent.

Thank you.
Enjoy your day.
saw your PM game trackers. Thank you! I will respond asap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.