Whats in your pockets when you hunt?

Leatherman..

Yep, 'tis the season to stuff your pockets with gear!
I got so much junk, I'm out of pocket space. Need to wear two jackets and two pairs of pants and still carry a backpack.
e-laugh.gif

I have been very pleased with the function of this very light victorinox knife sharpener. That goes in my hunting kit. It is lighter than a steel.

I have on very good little pocket knife that I keep extremely sharp, that works for everything.

I don’t carry a GPS. But my phone has that function.
paracord! And 1/2” webbing for dragging.

34AA45FF-CE6F-4B1C-A960-3AFAD088299A.png

I don’t carry a GPS. But my phone has that function.
I am toying with that idea too. I don't have consistent phone service, but it will save me some weight

For Africa, I don't do the pack thing. I-Phone and a surefire are in my pocket. Real camera is in the truck (and frankly, pretty much stays there these days). My belt has ammo and a knife. That is it.

Similar to Red Leg. I have my iPhone in my pocket. My belt has an ammo slide, knife, small pouch and water bottle on it. The pouch has extra laces, moleskin, and a leather man.

On my head an olive colored wide brim hat.

A watch on my wrist.

Around my neck my binoculars.

In the zip pockets of my shirt my passport and a small camera in zip lock bags. If a DG hunt 4 rounds of 470NE in the loops in the left breast pocket (2 rounds for in the rifle when you get out of the vehicle two for reloads. The two in the rifle go back in the pocket before getting into the vehicle.). If plains game a slip on cartridge holder on the rifle butt.

In my cargo pants a bandanna, a bottle of water, chap stick, eye drops, blister tape, thin leather gloves, a cigarette lighter, a roll of toilet paper with no center roll (about 1" in diameter),. and sometimes hard candy. If in really remote/rough areas a small GPS in my cargo pants or on my belt.

On my second belt a lightweight Browning folding knife and spare ammunition.

I have not seen the need for a range finder and none of my PHs have carried one. However,
I check with the PH/tracker to see what they are carrying and may eliminated it from what I am carrying but I still like to carry a bottle of water so I can drink when I want/need to.

Left in the vehicle the soft gun cases, boxed spare ammo, a pull through cleaning kit, pair of socks, a light jacket, a spare pair of glasses, sun blocker (After putting it on my hands, ears, and nose as I always wear long sleeve shirts). and DEET if required.

More ammo, that’s my pockets at least.

Among other things I’ve tried in the past I carried a water bottle and space blanket, first aid walking the hills

Lately as I mostly walk the creek in search of pigs it’s a simple belt, knife, ammo slide. A torch or a headlamp to make it back as I hunt in the evening The phone might have enough reception for a text or it’s doubles as a camera.

I was inspired by a thread or media item Hunting Belt, now I own a Von Gruff knife

When you get to the stage of being able to go on hunts you are probably carrying a nice tyre already, so why add to the strain? I carry precious little besides - a small sheath knife on my belt, mini binos in a hip pouch (They are coming), four spare rounds in hoops on my shirt above the left pocket. Thats it, nothing else at all. The trackers carry water and loo roll. I think it is also important where you put things; anything in pockets on hips seems to have a bigger presence, but stuff in the leg pouches melts away unobtrusively. Anything around the neck or hanging slapping about is a real bind. Travel light, travel far.

In pockets?- nothing. My carry on for flying also used as daypack. In daypack, depending on circumstances and location- small fixed blade sheath knife with diamond rod sharpener, a few rounds extra ammo, cell phone, small light nylon tarp, lighter, water, snacks, small flash light. Not packed full so not heavy nor bulky. I tried my phone in 2018 in Zim and was very surprised the google map tracking was very accurate. Only thing on belt is a loop ammo carrier. Binocs are either on strap slung under left arm or in pack- depending on circumstances.

Depends on where and what we are hunting.....

PG hunt SA not much.....

DG hunt especially elephant....my pack, two means of making fire typically lighter and magnesium flint, head lamp, sharp small flashlight, gps, knife, paracord, water with metal over fitting mug, instant noodles, headache tablets, anti diarrhea tabs, sun block, lip balm, small tarp(bivvy), coffee, sugar, energy bars, insect repellent, rehydrate.

One or more of my trackers, 2 ltr water per person(you can never have too much), more noodles or dehydrated food, another small tarp(bivvy), energy bars, small first aid kit, small dembo or axe, small wood saw, rehydrate, dixie set, pick steel set, client meds if using, hip flask of Brandy and another of whatever the client prefers......

These are pre packed and ready to go....spent more than one occasion sleeping on tracks or not being able to make it back.....

For Africa I don't carry much with me.
Most of it gets left in my day pack on the bakkie.

A few extra cartridges and a knife on my belt.
RF binos across my body and my rifle (loaded).
Maybe a bottle of water in my back pocket.

Mekanix gloves and small headlamp in one pocket. Kuiu guide beenie in the other (great for keeping ears warm riding to and from camp in the dark).
I-Phone
Bandana in hip pocket
Ammo slide and leatherman on belt
Binos

In Africa i always wear a hunting vest that has lots of pockets. Pouch in back for 2 bottles of water, 6 or so extra cartridges. Besides ones on belt in ammo holder, leatherman, toilet paper in zip lock bag or wet wipes. Trick i learned is to wait until toilet paper roll is 75% finished, smash it flat and remove the cardboard insert. Then that tp fits into small ziplock. Keep one in back pack and another with me at all times when touring cities or rural.

In Africa I keep it very simple. My rifle has one of those fanny packs on the butt. I love them, they are great for giving me a nice cheek weld. But also have the ammo holders, and a small zipper for any tools needed to fix a scope etc. Typically around my neck are my binos which have a built in range finder. Always nice to spend the extra money and consolidate into one tool. On my belt would be a knife, and in my pocket my cell phone, which is essentially my camera.

I typically pack a back pack as well and leave it in the truck if we are staying close. And if we are going further I take it with me. All it has is some layers. When I went to SA it was winter so mornings were as cold as -5C and mid day +20C. So having layers was necessary to peel or put on.

More ammo, that’s my pockets at least.

Among other things I’ve tried in the past I carried a water bottle and space blanket, first aid walking the hills

Lately as I mostly walk the creek in search of pigs it’s a simple belt, knife, ammo slide. A torch or a headlamp to make it back as I hunt in the evening The phone might have enough reception for a text or it’s doubles as a camera.

I was inspired by a thread or media item Hunting Belt, now I own a Von Gruff knife
@CBH
Chris I carry my phone, lighter and handkerchief. The last item doubles as a nose rag and bum wiper in emergency. I also carry my Garmin back track. I have a son so he carries the rest like water and knives and first aid kit in a small backpack.
Bob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 7.52.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 7.52.57 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 7.52.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 7.52.58 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 7.53.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-04 at 7.53.00 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 72

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg