AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
I have a fanny pack I "ALWAYS" carry out with me when I hunt. It has a few basic survival items in it on the outside chance I end up needing to spend the night out in the sticks. I won't bore you with the list because most of you can figure out what is in it. I am not accustomed to hunting with a PH and tracker so I don't know if this stuff will be needed or not. Anyone ever have to spend an unexpected night out in the bush. For you veteran hunters out there, what do carry with you besides your gun, ammo, and optics? Is a range finder pretty much standard issue for most PH's also?

the p.h that got me hunting , on the only African trip ive done so far ,never had a range finder ,we were bowhunting ,
pretty much all he took on our stalks was a uhf , his phone, a gps , a camera and a bottle of water .
when we were in the blinds each afternoon , we took we took and esky full of tucker and the same gear .

The PG Hunt I did in 2011 (East Cape) never had us more than about 2 miles from the truck. The longest hike was probably a 5 mile jaunt. The thought of having to spend the night out there never crossed my mind. Cell phones worked out there as did walkie talkies.

Answering the question though?What do I have in my pockets when hunting in Africa": Chapstick, two rounds of ammo (one in each pocket so as not to rattle), small bottle of water, Swiss Army Manager knife. That's it for the pockets.

8859985510430_SAK_0_6365__S1_61354_eps_1.jpg

Of course, I've also got my Bino's (10x32 Zeiss) and belt slide of ammo. Ideally my PH has the Rangefinder.

Now on my Goat Hunt and Sitka Blacktail Hunt in Alaska, that's a different story. Survival there is not to be taken lightly.

Attachments

• 8859985510430_SAK_0_6365__S1_61354_eps_1.jpg
    8859985510430_SAK_0_6365__S1_61354_eps_1.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 121
My bench made is clipped to one and a wind check bottle in the other. Everything else is in or hooked to my pack.

OK I'll admit it- I'm a woos these days. As I get older I don't carry much anymore. Don't have to with the service on all safaris that is available today.
I like the spot and stalk, if we drop something the vehicle comes by with cold water and food while we take pictures and laugh and scratch, then we head back to camp to regroup. Dinner is at least 3 courses with fine wine before and after.
I've done the sleep on the ground for days on end carrying everything in the world on my back. I've skinned and gutted more animals than I can count so I've got stones and sharpeners by the dozen on the shelf, flash lights? a dozen maybe, I've been to where I had to rely only on me but I don't go there anymore. So like I said, I'm a woos these days and the service has been excellent where I've been.
I carry a pocket knife now and that is about all.

Chapstick, pocket knife, wet wipes, (cartrides, camera, rangefinder on the belt), binocular around my neck, always a hat.

In a backpack on the truck (something to drink, more ammo, change in clothing (it can be very cold in the morning)).

Good topic:
I usually have a small backpack or fanny pack. Depends on how long I plan to be gone or how long of a "walk about" I plan on. Always have (besides gun, bullets & bino's), small surefire flashlight, waterproof matches, bic lighter, carmex, compass (I'm old school I guess), black tape, small about of nylon rope, knife, extra ammo (5 rds), gloves with finger tips cut off (I bleed like a stuck pig, this seems to help limit blood loss from various things that stick), bandanna and cap.

A small but strong knife, small folder, 8 rounds of ammo, flashlight, camera, binoculars.

A few things more in my backpack, which stays on the bakkie.

My experience does not include Africa (yet). Give me a couple of months. As for my typical outings, it depends on the day but the basics may be:

Knife (large/ sturdy folder for pocket carry with one side polished for signaling)
A convenient length of paracord(multipurpose and can be used to spin flashlight or chemlight for signaling at night)
Flashlight
Chemlight
Firestarter
Convenient med kit (convenient enough so that you never leave it behind)
Water

In my pockets ? Very little.

A handkerchief in my right hip pocket and a couple of spare rounds in the right breast pocket.

My day pack varies according to where I'm hunting.

In my pockets ? Very little.

A handkerchief in my right hip pocket and a couple of spare rounds in the right breast pocket.

My day pack varies according to where I'm hunting.

MY fault for saying pockets, I guess I meant on your person. I am just trying to get a feel for what one should carry out into the bush on a normal day of hunting. It sounds like the chance of an over-nighter would be slim to none. Like most of us I have a ton of gear that I could bring, but I am trying to whittle down the list a bit to just the essentials. The hunt I am going on will be very similar to the one that the whoos "Cliffy" :happywave: is describing. Don't feel bad Cliffy, there is nothing wrong with being in a position to enjoy some luxury in life. It's what we all busted our rear ends off early in life to earn, so we could play a bit when we get older. I am getting some good ideas for what I will need to be carrying.

"I am getting some good ideas for what I will need to be carrying."

Less...is more! That's why you have Trackers...Skinners...and a PH.

Oh, side note: there's a big difference between a PG hunt and a DG hunt. :) If it's DG (Cape Buff + ) it's a different game. You'll definitely up the game a bit there.

The best advice I can give is to Ask Your Outfitter. They'll tell you exactly what to expect...and what you really should take with you.

Knife, ammo, rangefinder,snack,camara, GPS,water,gloves, lighter,rope/para cord, VOK kit with quick clot, Leatherman, binocs,

On my person, whether hunting in Africa or in Australia, I always carry ( on a hiking stalk/hunt): 8x50 Bresser Bino's, basic first aid kit with peroxide, two blade folding pocket knife with prick and tweezers( for digging out thorns), GPS, digital camera X 2, led torch, ammo in a leather 10 round pouch, spare battery for camera/ torch/GPS, PVC poncho style rain coat with hood, water, an Alaskan Ulu, Uncle Toby's Energy Bars, water, and a roll of toilet paper!

You only come back to camp once with a sock missing or shirt pocket torn off!!!

On my person, whether hunting in Africa or in Australia, I always carry ( on a hiking stalk/hunt): 8x50 Bresser Bino's, basic first aid kit with peroxide, two blade folding pocket knife with prick and tweezers( for digging out thorns), GPS, digital camera X 2, led torch, ammo in a leather 10 round pouch, spare battery for camera/ torch/GPS, PVC poncho style rain coat with hood, water, an Alaskan Ulu, Uncle Toby's Energy Bars, water, and a roll of toilet paper!

You only come back to camp once with a sock missing or shirt pocket torn off!!!

how could ve l forgot the ass wipe.....:beer:

i presume this was aimed at an african hunt? in which case looking at what everyone carries i have been woefully under equipped any time in the last 25 year i have been on a hunt in africa and headed off after all sorts up to elephant. i have gone hitech and have a bushnell backtrack gps now, but apart from a belt with ammo and a knife and leatherman on it, a small 1 cell lithium torch in a holster that clips on to a belt loop and binos, a couple of headache tabs and a couple of plasters/bandaids i think thats about it. the tracker should have the water but in the early days when there werent places to buy decent kit in most countries that wasnt a guaranteed thing.......make sure you drink plenty of water in the morning and just before you set off especially if you are going to follow buff or ele. the ultimate multi purpose tool the landcruiser should have a toilet roll in the glove box in the dashboard. this was all in zambia, tanzania and zim , and i dont see the need at all for carrying all the kit some have suggested on a hunt on a ranch/reserve in sa where you arent going to be too far from the lodge etc. those camel backs look like a good idea on a buff/ele hunt where you could do some proper walking but thats still about as far as i would go, and i know i would never get around to buying one.......so will remain under equipped :eek:

Not on Africa,and I hope that is ok. I am trying to whittle down what I carry this year. I am trying to find a couple of small marshy lakes i ee on Google earth, so I want to be lighter. They are in some dense bush. But, I still get antsy having gotten good and lost once. I find my GPS is really heavy (Garmin Rhino) and I carry a set of extra batteries and compass. Water, small lunch. Big knife, small knife, Leatherman, small steel. Paracord, folding bone saw. Lighter, matches, ferro rod. Rifle and 6 rounds.

Zombie thread back from the dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg