What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

Citizen Eco Drive Divers 300. Worn 24/7, 365. Typically I only take it off if I am sticking my hand somewhere that a band might hang me up. Or when the band breaks (on the 3rd now).
I've worn a watch, on the wrong wrist according to some, since I received a Timex of some sort when I was 8 or 9. Soon after, moved it to my right wrist because the elastic band allowed the watch to bash the back of my hand every time I threw a baseball. Been on the proper hand ever since.
Used to wear cheap digital watches that I didn't care about as I have broken more than a few. But diving taught me the value of the analog hands and a timing bezel. This Citizen has withstood quite a bit of abuse and still keeps perfect time with no battery to worry about.
Always have admired fine watches, but could never bring myself to spend the money on one. Always wanted a Submariner. But first, I have a couple more doubles to acquire.

I wear a timex expedition that I picked up for 40bucks. Has been a good field watch so far.
My wife got me a garmin for xmas, but Im not a techi, so it just sits in a drawer. Maybe one day I will try to figure out how all the functions work. Lol

I only wear digital watches when hunting/shooting. I like mechanical watches and wear them daily but I’m too worried the violent recoil will damage the precision mechanism.
You shouldn't experience a ton of recoil on your wrist. Is especially on your left hand. If you are a right handed shooter. Your right shoulder eats a heavy percentage of that force. Live it up brother. Put that watch on lol. I've worn my Omega while shooting a full day of 50bmg. 40-50 rounds in a day. No issues at all.

The same Rolex Submariner I wear everyday .

5EFE8261-BE4D-46BB-8BD6-47A9763295FA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
At the risk of being repetitious here are a few considerations wearing watches hunting in fourth world countries. I do not wear one that glitters in sharp sunlight, do not wear one without a cover if it glows strongly in darkness. A chap riding in a cab in slow traffic in Bangui with is elbow out the widow had his arm broken and wrist cut when some one tried to rip off his Rolex. Anyway I wear a nondescript cheap one with big numbers, that is reliable, when hunting. Used to take a pocket watch but now that I am an old man I cannot remember were I put the darn thing

... A chap riding in a cab in slow traffic in Bangui with is elbow out the widow had his arm broken and wrist cut when some one tried to rip off his Rolex. ...

I wouldn't take a Rolex for a hunt. That is also why while traveling my nice watch looks like a cheaper watch.

GEtVsTml.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't experience a ton of recoil on your wrist. Is especially on your left hand. If you are a right handed shooter. Your right shoulder eats a heavy percentage of that force. Live it up brother. Put that watch on lol. I've worn my Omega while shooting a full day of 50bmg. 40-50 rounds in a day. No issues at all.
What he said. The standard for mechanical watches is that they should withstand a 1-meter drop onto a hard surface with no damage to operation or accuracy. Rifle recoil is a lot less shock than that.

The other standard is: If your arm can take it, your watch can take it.

My daily watch for the past 30 years has been a G-Shock. The work I do is just too harsh for a luxury mechanical watch. The only modification I've made recently is switching to a NATO strap from BluShark. They are high quality and don't irritate my skin like the resin band used to.
1617534406260.png

I have 3 Omega watches that I will pull out on the weekend or special occasions, but not for hunting. They are all a bit too heavy on the wrist IMO for hunting. Plus, as others have stated, the security risks that are added when others notice what you are wearing on your wrist.

My daily watch for the past 30 years has been a G-Shock. The work I do is just too harsh for a luxury mechanical watch. The only modification I've made recently is switching to a NATO strap from BluShark. They are high quality and don't irritate my skin like the resin band used to.
View attachment 396038
I have 3 Omega watches that I will pull out on the weekend or special occasions, but not for hunting. They are all a bit too heavy on the wrist IMO for hunting. Plus, as others have stated, the security risks that are added when others notice what you are wearing on your wrist.
Those are tough watches. I had one for years, worr it for about everything. Cracked it open working on the racecar. Bought a cheap timex to get me by, but it has also been a good watch also. But will try to get another G shock after this one.

I have a fenix 3, and if you don't run gps it will last two weeks. Obviously having the gps on cuts that down a great deal. I have been happy with it for both everyday wear, along with hiking and run tracking.

You know, there are so many threads about tipping vs not tipping, brake vs no brake, Hornady vs Nosler, Blaser vs everything else LOL.

Here is one I have not seen. Watches.... I am a huge watch lover. I was curious what do all of the AH.com crowd wear when on a hunt? I wore a Suunto Traverse Alpha on my last few hunts. I am so anti digital watches, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to watches. But I thought it would be great as it has a built in breadcrumb view via GPS. This allowed me to leave the GPS at home for my backpack hunts etc. But I quickly learned this watch "specifically designed" for hunting, was crap. When in normal watch mode the battery lasts forever. But in GPS mode which I assume everyone is using if they bought the "hunting" version. The battery hardly lasts 5-6 hours. So I am debating dumping this and going back to a good ole fashioned automatic watch. One where battery won't matter. And bring back my GPS which last for weeks in GPS mode.
I don't wear a watch out hunting because I can tell the time just like Crocodile Dundee. If I was forced to wear one it would have hands so I could use it as a compass.

I don't wear a watch out hunting because I can tell the time just like Crocodile Dundee. If I was forced to wear one it would have hands so I could use it as a compass.
So you would look at Walter's watch and then know what time it is? ;)

Only in Africa....Timex Expedition.... Wal Mart. Bot it in 2014 $25.00
Non descript. Has been on 7 Safaris to SA and Namibia.
Plain and tough. Push the stem and the face lights up at nite. Last thing I want to do is stand out and be noticed while traveling third world countries. JMO

I hate things on me: watches, rings, necklaces. I make a concession for my wedding ring. I do not wear a wristwatch. I wear a pocket watch to work. I don't wear a watch hunting. Here in Alaska the sun determines when I hunt and stop.

I hate things on me: watches, rings, necklaces. I make a concession for my wedding ring. I do not wear a wristwatch. I wear a pocket watch to work. I don't wear a watch hunting. Here in Alaska the sun determines when I hunt and stop.
As you're fiddling with your smart watch, the trophy animal of the century pops up 20m away and you kick yourself for the next 5 years. Or it beeps loudly at the wrong moment and every animal within a couple of kays shout "Watch! let's get outa here !"

I love time pieces of all types. I have ex Navy ships clocks, (wind up), pocket watches, quartz watches, my best being a Bulova Sea King, supremely accurate, and even a G Shock.
I have a nice Steinhart Ocean One, as well but my current favorite and wear all the time watch these days is a Mido Swiss Automatic. Very nice watch for under a grand, keeps good if not perfect time, runs a little fast but I can live with it, and very nice in appearance.
As far as wearing to Africa, have worn several, nice ones too. Pictured is the Mido Ocean Star.
Bet not many have heard of them, I never had either till I went looking for a new watch a while back.
IMG_5691.JPG

I love time pieces of all types. I have ex Navy ships clocks, (wind up), pocket watches, quartz watches, my best being a Bulova Sea King, supremely accurate, and even a G Shock.
I have a nice Steinhart Ocean One, as well but my current favorite and wear all the time watch these days is a Mido Swiss Automatic. Very nice watch for under a grand, keeps good if not perfect time, runs a little fast but I can live with it, and very nice in appearance.
As far as wearing to Africa, have worn several, nice ones too. Pictured is the Mido Ocean Star.
Bet not many have heard of them, I never had either till I went looking for a new watch a while back.
View attachment 396135
I had a nice Bulova Senator (circa 1958) once. Sold it in Hong Kong to finance a drunken bar crawl. :(
I still have my original dive watch, now retired to dry land.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg