Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State, Mpumalanga)
I am considering hunting a hyena, either this year or next.

Any recommendations about areas, pricing, brown or spotted will be welcome.

Hyena would be the primary animal on hunt, but would also like to take baboon, jackal and warthog (more than one, if they are good :D).

@Nyati it's a very exciting hunt! I've had the pleasure of doing it twice under daylight conditions and enjoyed it immensely. I would think game ranches in the Midlands (assuming you want Zim by your nom de plume) would get you access to good spotted hyena. The Shona are superstitious and will not mess with Hyena as they believe witches can transform into them at will. Net result, they don't actively kill them like ole Shumba. The only problem with hunting Hyena on fenced ranches is that they are very, very smart. Every tourist has shot at them and they don't stay stupid after such an education. If you could get into a large, wild safari area your odds would greatly increase. (as would costs)

Brown hyena as you know is hard to hunt as it is solitary and it is not importable to the USA. It may be importable to Spain, however.

Spotted Hyena were vermin that cost $350 to shoot opportunistically just a few years ago. I've now seen dedicated hunts for them reaching over $3500 in trophy fees as it is just as much work to hunt them during daylight with bait as it is to do a leopard hunt. I encourage you to find a good deal and hunt your hyena now before prices get out of hand everywhere and export gets banned.

Keep in mind if you want to hunt them with bait you'll need a LOT of bait. You need something like: a giraffe, a hippo, 2-3 zebra, or 5+ impala to give it a solid effort with many bait sites. You'll need to plan a hunt where you can come up with more than just baboon and warthog for bait.

If your ok with south Africa I know Pieter can do the hunt. I would happy to get you a quote for one if SA works for you.

Last edited:
If it's a brownie you're after, there are lots of them at @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris as you may recall from your previous trip there. I did everything but pull the trigger on two of them and I wasn't even trying to hunt them on either occasion.

If it's a brownie you're after, there are lots of them at @AAA Africa Serapa Safaris as you may recall from your previous trip there. I did everything but pull the trigger on two of them and I wasn't even trying to hunt them on either occasion.

I tried but there was none on quota :(

If your ok with south Africa I know Pieter can do the hunt. I would happy to get you a quote for one if SA works for you.

SA is fine.

You have a quote in the PM just sent

That was in 2010

They're available now, will send you a PM later in my day, likely you'll be off to bed, so look for it tomorrow morning.

Nyati, I can assist you for 2017 and will send you a PM now, we have two Australian hunters for hyena and croc this year.

Hello Nyati,

here in Namibia on commercial Farm Land we can hunt for the Brown Hyena. The Licence to export into Europe is no problem to obtain . If you are interested in hunting the Brown Hyena in Namibia, please feel free to contact me!

Best regards

Philip

Nyati
Send you a message. We do all the "Odd Species.
Hyenas, Honey Badger, Small Cats (including Serval)

hi there

sent you a pm

regards

Hope you get this hunt lined up! It should be a lot of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg