Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
How many times have you had to take a shot at over 200yds, i'm guessing not that many, groom the 375 to shoot 235GRs, I get 2610fps shooting 300grs so you should get a lot better, so now you sell the 404Jeff to me and use the 375 and the 416,It's a win win, you get to use the 300 win for Antelope out west I get the 404 Jeff,,were both happy:)
I know people say that most shots are less than 200 yards, and that's more or less true, but I've been going out to about 300, with the odd shot a bit beyond that. I like the flat shooting .300 for those!

As for selling you the .404, well, I'd really like to, but you see, my name is engraved on the barrel, and the initials are on the grip cap. I know you'd be embarrassed to have someone else's gun, so I guess I'm stuck with it!

CJ007

Reaction score
Media
Does anyone knows what was the biggest animal ever kill with 235gr from a .375

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa

Can't say I do. I looked at the 235gr Barnes, but the 250gr TTSX had such a better BC it wasn't worth the small increase in velocity to go with the lighter bullet. I ended up using a 250gr North Fork which at 2800fps plus, was easily a 300 yard bullet.

The 250gr TTSX I pushed to upward of 2900fps. I'd use either up to and including Eland. For larger DG such as Cape Buff, go with the 300gr bullet.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada

Well, we've taken many Cape Buffalo, firing a 200gr expanding copper bullet out of a .375H&H. The rifle mentioned, is my own, and used by hunters who choose not to bring their own firearm into the country.
What were you planning on using it for?

CJ007

Reaction score
Media
Thank Marius.
On my next trip to Africa Im planing to take my .375 H&H and only one lot of ammo, instead of 2 rifle and 5 different boxes of ammo. I thought 235gr could do a cape buff and a hippo I would be a much happier hunter

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
@CJ007 ,
I know a lot of hunters want to shoot heavy bullets, like the 300gr'ers in the .375. If the 235gr or 250gr Barnes TSX or TTSX work in your rifle, it will do the job and some on Cape Buffalo and Hippo.
It's where you put them, that really matter. We are not talking about the stopping ability here, but the killing ability.( After the 1st shot) On the stopping side, if I only had the .375, I would go with the 300gr, or even the 350gr. But, I take it, this is not what you are asking.
From the 200gr GS Custom out of my .375H&H to a 570gr out of a .505Gibbs, I have not seen the Buff fall quicker from the larger bore. They all go about 70yds, before expiring.
It's when the heat's in the kitchen where the difference will be much more apparent.

Good luck on your hunt. We look forward to the photos.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
BTW, where is Monish?

Well Monish, left when certain people questioned his copy and pasting of pictures and stories. For a while there he was the top poster on AH. He posted a ton of stuff on AH.

CJ007

Reaction score
Media
@CJ007 ,
I know a lot of hunters want to shoot heavy bullets, like the 300gr'ers in the .375. If the 235gr or 250gr Barnes TSX or TTSX work in your rifle, it will do the job and some on Cape Buffalo and Hippo.
It's where you put them, that really matter. We are not talking about the stopping ability here, but the killing ability.( After the 1st shot) On the stopping side, if I only had the .375, I would go with the 300gr, or even the 350gr. But, I take it, this is not what you are asking.
From the 200gr GS Custom out of my .375H&H to a 570gr out of a .505Gibbs, I have not seen the Buff fall quicker from the larger bore. They all go about 70yds, before expiring.
It's when the heat's in the kitchen where the difference will be much more apparent.

Good luck on your hunt. We look forward to the photos.[/

CJ007

Reaction score
Media
Thanks for that info. I posted a few pfotos from my last trip

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
I know people say that most shots are less than 200 yards, and that's more or less true, but I've been going out to about 300, with the odd shot a bit beyond that. I like the flat shooting .300 for those!

As for selling you the .404, well, I'd really like to, but you see, my name is engraved on the barrel, and the initials are on the grip cap. I know you'd be embarrassed to have someone else's gun, so I guess I'm stuck with it!
That ok I'm Farsighted so I won't notice

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
I really like my 375. I hope to take a leopard with it one day and will probably shoot a deer or two just because I can with it this year. If I had to do it over again I would have took it to Africa for my lion and buff instead of my 416.

Petrus Geldenhuys

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Namibia
I truly love the .375 H&H, it is a magical calibre! I must agree that when reloading you should discard your cases after about 3 reloads as they are notorious for head separation due to over stretching of the cases, but this will also depend on rifle manufacturer.

We have taken many Buffalo with the .375 H&H tipped with a 300gr projectile and it has not failed us yet due to the accuracy and mild recoil. In my opinion a really good calibre for an African Safari.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
I truly love the .375 H&H, it is a magical calibre! I must agree that when reloading you should discard your cases after about 3 reloads as they are notorious for head separation due to over stretching of the cases, but this will also depend on rifle manufacturer.

We have taken many Buffalo with the .375 H&H tipped with a 300gr projectile and it has not failed us yet due to the accuracy and mild recoil. In my opinion a really good calibre for an African Safari.

When resizing, I only bump the shoulder enough so that the cases will seat properly without undue pressure when closing the bolt. This helps minimize stretch and I know I've got well more than three shots out of my brass. I hope I guess that I'm not setting myself up for a problem, but I let the brass tell me when it's done. I've only seen minor splits and in other cases you can see that the case is getting ready to split, these I obviously throw away.

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
How many times have you had to take a shot at over 200yds, i'm guessing not that many, groom the 375 to shoot 235GRs, I get 2610fps shooting 300grs so you should get a lot better, so now you sell the 404Jeff to me and use the 375 and the 416,It's a win win, you get to use the 300 win for Antelope out west I get the 404 Jeff,,were both happy:)
I like the way you think!!!

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
To own only one hunting rifle (I hope that never happens!) it would be a .375 H&H.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
I like the way you think!!!
Let's not get carried away here gentlemen! I happen to be a very big fan of my .404. I had it made as a present for myself (I wasn't getting it from anyone else!) at a time when the .404 wasn't as popular (if I can even say that about the .404) as it currently is. This is at least as grand an old cartridge as the .416 Rigby, but while that gun was somewhat "aristocratic," the .404 was far more " pedestrian", which means way less expensive (at the time). And since I like to think I'm pretty much in the middle, it seemed to me I should have both!

You're not going to be able to pry it out of my hands!

Now stop hijacking this thread by threatening to take my beautiful rifle from me!

sierraone

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted

If the price is right, I could live with the embarrassment!

Witold Krzyżanowski

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
1977; Polish Hunting Assotiation
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe
Very good Article Monish.
I think that cal. 9,3x62 was the inspiration for the English 375H&H, which eventualy repleced the 9,3.
Personally, I prefer 9,3x62 due to better penetration of the bullet and less recoil.
All the best .
Witold

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamonaBoeh

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J