Show Us Your Reloading Bench

The first cartridge that I started loading by myself, was a Rem 700 ADL in 243, and I used the Lee Loader. I was able to produce a load that my rifle liked using their powder dippers. This Lee Loader is over 40 years old, and I still have it. :LOL:

Interesting I’ve seen the Lee kits and never tried to use one but I expect they could be handy if pinch or remote.
What is the advantage of seating this way?
There is a bloke here that reckons the .243 is no good and my wife has one so I need to Make a good case for the .243,
The advantage is that it connects me with my late Uncle to whom the rifle belonged. He loaded this way for forty years. The rifle is a pre 72 Remington and came to me with three or four boxes of ammunition. All but one of the boxes was intact and unfired. The other box was partially filled with empties that had been fired heaven knows how many times and reloaded. I like feeling self sufficient as he was and this kit is one way to do it. A box of bullets, a box of primers, a pound of powder. How long can it last? A lot longer than a .375 can. The best case I can make for the .243 is that it uses less powder by comparison with a .30-06 or Magnum, performs better in the wind than a .308, and with modern bullets can easily take the heaviest non-dangerous game in North America. I grew up between two brothers that argued about the .30-06 and the .243. I heard both men make arguments for decades. Now that I am grown and have both rifles, I see the wisdom of each man in selecting his rifle to match his hunting aspirations. Neither rifle has killed anything larger than a groundhog, so they could have purchased .22's in all practicality.

The first cartridge that I started loading by myself, was a Rem 700 ADL in 243, and I used the Lee Loader. I was able to produce a load that my rifle liked using their powder dippers. This Lee Loader is over 40 years old, and I still have it. :LOL:
I use two dippers to fill it with H1000 and drop in a 105 grain A Max. It loves it and the load is easy on the rifle. The whole thing fits in a small pail and I have demonstrated the kit to people from firing to firing. I'm pretty quick with it.

I've noticed more than a couple of guys looking to get into reloading here on AH.
I happen to be one of them and research is going day and night.

One of the bigger items I'm looking at is a reloading bench.
My bride insists that it look like a piece of furniture and not just a work space.
To that end, friend and I are going to make it out of some maple hardwood.
Building it ourselves will keep the cost down and craftsmanship high.

So here is a space to show off what you have learned from having your own reloading bench.
How work flows, one person or two (maybe more), multiple presses...etc.
Open to any and all ideas.
Show me what ya got.
Wife gave me the same restrictions, it had to look nice in the house. Just so happens one of her best friends wanted to get rid of an old office desk she had. Went to Lowe’s, bought a sheet of 3/4” plywood and with a little sanding and strain I had a heavy duty top to screw to the desk top. Even had enough left over to make some shelving for the top.
C31775E2-8482-4CDD-A4EB-3B9EECBA6DA0.jpeg
EDA73A50-922D-455B-96EA-7C8808613438.jpeg
She’s happy, I’m happy and I can look up at that waterbuck and big ass impala while I reload.

Interesting I’ve seen the Lee kits and never tried to use one but I expect they could be handy if pinch or remote.
What is the advantage of seating this way?
There is a bloke here that reckons the .243 is no good and my wife has one so I need to Make a good case for the .243,

All I use is lee loader kits. 223, 30-06 and 7x57 which is an antique given to me by a former co-worker. I'm not too serious into reloading but I have worked up some very accurate loads with them. The only disadvantage I see, other than being a little slower, is they don't resize the case, only the neck. It's ok as I only have one 223 and 7x57 but I can't mix up the cases for my two 30-06.

@Sand Rat
Nice setup and I really like the Waterbuck.

Ok, lots of really neat ideas here, this is my bench. I made it clear span so i could roll end to end with the chairs and it has been modified a couple times to fit different rooms in different houses. I had to put the end table in the middle to get my powder measure/scale off the bench as any little movement would make it inaccurate and with it setting on that table I am able to have it dispensing a load while I seat the bullet in the last one.
20200414_193355.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, lots of really neat ideas here, this is my bench. I made it clear span so i could roll end to end with the chairs and it has been modified a couple times to fit different rooms in different houses. I had to put the end table in the middle to get my powder measure/scale off the bench as any little movement would make it inaccurate and with it setting on that table I am able to have it dispensing a load while I seat the bullet in the last one.View attachment 342142
not sure why this posts this picture upside down, I have tried everything to fix it. If someone can fix it or tell me how I will be glad to do it

File size may have been to large to flip/edit. I used a compression program. Size went from over five meg to a little over 400k.

new_bench.jpg

Ok, lots of really neat ideas here, this is my bench. I made it clear span so i could roll end to end with the chairs and it has been modified a couple times to fit different rooms in different houses. I had to put the end table in the middle to get my powder measure/scale off the bench as any little movement would make it inaccurate and with it setting on that table I am able to have it dispensing a load while I seat the bullet in the last one. View attachment 342253
Very nice.
Thanks for sharing.

Here's my little space. I just set it up last weekend and have already loaded some 300wm and sized and primed some 375 Ruger. I look forward to progressing in my new hobby!

Tools, dies, powder, casings, bullets, primers,etc. In the drawers of the cabinet.

If anyone has load data for 400gr A-Frames in 450/400 NE 3", it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Mike
IMG_20200419_140818.jpeg

Here's my little space. I just set it up last weekend and have already loaded some 300wm and sized and primed some 375 Ruger. I look forward to progressing in my new hobby!

Tools, dies, powder, casings, bullets, primers,etc. In the drawers of the cabinet.

If anyone has load data for 400gr A-Frames in 450/400 NE 3", it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

MikeView attachment 343041

Great use of a toolbox. Can you sit comfortably enough or do you stand to reload?

Great use of a toolbox. Can you sit comfortably enough or do you stand to reload?
I stand while reloading, I have a standing desk at work, as I prefer to stand there too.

@Frederik Badenhorst, thank you sir for the information on the Inline Fabrication. I just ordered a Ultramount with quick change base plate, and two quick change systems. Got free shipping and 10% military discount. I'll post pictures here once they are mounted on my bench. (y)(y)

@BeeMaa, thanks for coming up with this great thread. (y)(y)

For those with limited space, the RCBS Summit press is an option.

That's a neat little press, I like that! Thanks @Hogpatrol for sharing.

For those with limited space, the RCBS Summit press is an option.

Do you have a RCBS Summit Press?
How do you say it compares to the Redding Big Boss or RCBS Supreme?
Better, worse, any criticism or opinion would be helpful.

@BeeMaa, I don’t have that press, I have two RCBS press a IV & II. If I was beginning to reload, I’d probably go that route w this new Summit. My reasoning is as follow, smaller footprint on the bench, ram is thicker and from what I’ve read these type presses produce more concentric ammo. Since the biggest caliber I have is a 375 H&H, this would suit me. This press can be use for up to 338 Lapua, not sure if anything bigger would fit. That I believe is one draw back.

@BeeMaa, I don’t have that press, I have two RCBS press a IV & II. If I was beginning to reload, I’d probably go that route w this new Summit. My reasoning is as follow, smaller footprint on the bench, ram is thicker and from what I’ve read these type presses produce more concentric ammo. Since the biggest caliber I have is a 375 H&H, this would suit me. This press can be use for up to 338 Lapua, not sure if anything bigger would fit. That I believe is one draw back.
Appreciate it, I'll look into it more closely.
I really like the Redding BB2 and RCBS IV "O" style press.
I'd be doing 375H&H and 416RM, so a 3.6" OAL gets it done.
But as you know, these guys at AH have a way of talking us into larger and larger cartridges.
Might want to plan for the future now. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg