Scam offers

Thanks; this wasn't a hunting scam, another animal entirely. I (hope that I have) learned my lesson....Thanks again, good bloke.

A while back my computer was hacked with that virus that locked all the files and then demand a ransom in bitcoin to unlock it. I made a copy of that virus and re name it "personel info". So whenever I get a scamster or fraudster trying to get my info I sent them this file with the following wording."Attached is copy of my bank statement and ID to proof that my details is correct, please handle all info as confidential". I just wondered how many scamsters opened that file

Should I be offended that she hasn’t reached out to me?!?! Lol..... maybe you should feel flattered. She could be flirting with you!
How do you know it's a 'she'?

The other option doesn't bear thinking about . . . (I'm straight, and proud of it!)

The other option doesn't bear thinking about . . . (I'm straight, and proud of it!)
Go on!! Be a devil!! Take a peek!! I dare you!! LMAO!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Timbo, many years back a bloke joined the workforce of a small family business where I was employed; turned up in a purple "singlet", tight blue flares and "clogs". He got the job, after telling the owner "I'm the best g$&**am storeman you'll ever get", and just afterwards introducing himself as "I'm Rod $^$$, the new storeman, and I'm gay". Dunno why, but quick as a flash I came back, "G'day, I'm Geoff, and I'm straight." We became mates, and more than once he saved me from being molested by some of his less-understanding friends. In reality a decent bloke. I've followed that approach ever since; it establishes the bases, and I've never (yet) had an adverse reaction.

One really good tool to help ensure that he don’t scam anyone else is to make his name, outfit, and your story public world wide on AH.... Just saying....
Done. Read my article "Hunting a PH"
One really good tool to help ensure that he don’t scam anyone else is to make his name, outfit, and your story public world wide on AH.... Just saying....
Done. Read my article "Hunting down a scammer."

A while back my computer was hacked with that virus that locked all the files and then demand a ransom in bitcoin to unlock it. I made a copy of that virus and re name it "personel info". So whenever I get a scamster or fraudster trying to get my info I sent them this file with the following wording."Attached is copy of my bank statement and ID to proof that my details is correct, please handle all info as confidential". I just wondered how many scamsters opened that file

Wish I had the smarts to do that!

Purely FYI as an addendum, at the time I asked PHASA - as the industry's regulating body - if they do anything to stop/police against bogus "PHs" scammimg clients, since this would seriously damage SA's reputation. Their response was basically they don't do anything at all. I found their apathy surpring and replied that as a nurse, if I did anything wrong in my industry my governing regulatory body would kick my ass!! (And they also police the industry as well). In short I opined they gladly pull PH registration fees, yet admit do nothing to protect the industry against scammers. Sad that both the SA industry and clients are plagued by this unrestrained criminal activity.

In my research to convict the bastard who scammed me, I located and contacted 2 other victims scammed by the same bastard (one being a bona fide PH). A 3rd victim I was told about, is connected to the mafia. So maybe justice will yet prevail?

Again, just my 2 cents......

Unfortunately this is true and PHASA have no powers and prefer to do nothing. The worst they will do is to have a member expelled from the organization.

Thankfully I left them a long time ago. Hunting with a PHASA member PH/Outfitter has no benefits to hunting with a non member PH/Outfitter.

Unfortunately this is true and PHASA have no powers and prefer to do nothing. The worst they will do is to have a member expelled from the organization.

Thankfully I left them a long time ago. Hunting with a PHASA member PH/Outfitter has no benefits to hunting with a non member PH/Outfitter.
I think you are all being a little harsh as regards PHASA. They are an industry association that attempts to set standards for their members. They have no legal authority to set standards for anyone else, and they have no legal ability to chase non-member scammers or to sanction them if they could find them.

SCI or DSC are much the same. They can sanction their own members, but the most they can do is kick someone out. They can’t stop scammers from offering fake hunts to anyone, and can’t enforce their code of ethics against anyone other than a member.

I am a member of a self-regulated organization which has the ability to stop the unauthorized practice of my profession, as well as to sanction those of our members who run afoul of the rules. You cannot practice without being a member. But this is because the government has given them that power by legislation. They didn’t just set themselves up and then start telling people what they could and couldn’t do. If they had, they’d have been laughed out of town. But not even my association can sanction those who are not members. For that, they have to go to court to get independent enforcement of the rules.

PHASA doesn’t have that authority, so you’re asking too much of it.

So what can you expect? Well, you should ask them, but I’d suggest at a minimum the knowledge that those who are members will abide by a certain code of ethics, and if there are issues with members, they will look into the matter and decide if sanctioning that member is necessary or worthwhile. That will never mean that someone who is not a member of PHASA isn’t someone worth hunting with, but if they are a member, it should come close to an assurance that they are.

I respect you views Hank2211, but your first paragraph confirms my opinion that PHASA does nothing.

In your third paragraph you said it yourself, that you belong to an organisation which has the "ability to stop the unauthorised practice of my profession." Scammers by definition fall squarely into this "unauthorised practice." Therefore, I believe PHASA should be doing something to protect its members and industry from outsiders who view it as a soft target. And PHASA can do that by being a tad more proactive by - quoting you again - going "to court to get independent enforcement of the rules" - even if only to protect the SA safari industry's image.

In my case PHASA did absolutely nothing - in fact they just sat on the fence and agreed with my criticisms. If you say they're hampered by legislative reasons, then PHASA should be lobbying for changes to those very rules which are keeping it, and industry, bled white by scammers.

In Australia the SSAA - the far smaller regulatory body for sporting shooters - have gone so far to protect the sport and it's members by taking legal action against various individuals who prejudice the image and/or recreational shooters and shooting in general (both competition and field).

In comparison, PHASA - who is backed by an infrastructure and entire industry supported in part by hundreds of thousands of tourist hunting dollars - to keep sitting on the fence and say: "We can't do anything about this!" is just a cop out in my opinion.

Cheers!

I respect you views Hank2211, but your first paragraph confirms my opinion that PHASA does nothing.

In your third paragraph you said it yourself, that you belong to an organisation which has the "ability to stop the unauthorised practice of my profession." Scammers by definition fall squarely into this "unauthorised practice." Therefore, I believe PHASA should be doing something to protect its members and industry from outsiders who view it as a soft target. And PHASA can do that by being a tad more proactive by - quoting you again - going "to court to get independent enforcement of the rules" - even if only to protect the SA safari industry's image.

In my case PHASA did absolutely nothing - in fact they just sat on the fence and agreed with my criticisms. If you say they're hampered by legislative reasons, then PHASA should be lobbying for changes to those very rules which are keeping it, and industry, bled white by scammers.

In Australia the SSAA - the far smaller regulatory body for sporting shooters - have gone so far to protect the sport and it's members by taking legal action against various individuals who prejudice the image and/or recreational shooters and shooting in general (both competition and field).

In comparison, PHASA - who is backed by an infrastructure and entire industry supported in part by hundreds of thousands of tourist hunting dollars - to keep sitting on the fence and say: "We can't do anything about this!" is just a cop out in my opinion.

Cheers!
I don’t disagree that if given the power, they could do more, nor do I frankly disagree that they might not be doing enough with the power that they have. My main point is that they are pretty much the same as SCI or DSC. Neither of those can stop scammers, or frankly do anything much about them.

But with some money and some power - one should be available, and the other just takes political will - then they could realistically promote and protect the South African hunting industry. Frankly, there should be such an organization in South Africa - I’d have thought that this business was a pretty important exconomic driver in rural areas where economic drivers can be few and far between.

I think we’re on the same page, for the most part.

But just as an aside, my professional association keeps outsiders out in great part to keep insiders’ incomes high. I don’t think they care very much for the public or the public interest, although they (have to) pretend to. Just my opinion though!

Scam offers are usually fairly easy to spot. "Too good to be true", etc. It's up to the individual to look out for themselves and depend upon their own research and diligence in checking... not someone else's or the nanny state or whomever. As to the various organizations mentioned like the so-called professional associations... mostly mutual admiration societies that charge a fee to allow one to put a string of capital letters by their name or DBA.

I don’t disagree that if given the power, they could do more, nor do I frankly disagree that they might not be doing enough with the power that they have. My main point is that they are pretty much the same as SCI or DSC. Neither of those can stop scammers, or frankly do anything much about them.

But with some money and some power - one should be available, and the other just takes political will - then they could realistically promote and protect the South African hunting industry. Frankly, there should be such an organization in South Africa - I’d have thought that this business was a pretty important exconomic driver in rural areas where economic drivers can be few and far between.

I think we’re on the same page, for the most part.

But just as an aside, my professional association keeps outsiders out in great part to keep insiders’ incomes high. I don’t think they care very much for the public or the public interest, although they (have to) pretend to. Just my opinion though!
I pretty much agree with you, and is my prevailing point, that PHASA has the opportunity to do more, but for whatever reason, can't/won't.

The differences between American organisations and PHASA, in my opinion, is very stark. SCI/DSC etc share common objectives with the NRA and therefore ultimately vigorously pursues common political lobbying to protect their members rights and intetests - PHASA does not. But here too PHASA may consider adopting such a proactive footing. Also in the US, due to greater presence for, and mindfulness of, law enforcement (coupled with a higher likelihood of client legal action) I'm of the opinion scammers operate with less prevalence than in SA.

For such a comparatively small organisation to actively pursue individuals through the courts serves both as a credit to the SSAA, and as an incentive to PHASA as to what avenues of advocacy and action they can consider to protect it's members, the industry (and including its' reputation) it serves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you