Rangefinder Binoculars

friendswoodmatt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am currently looking at buying a new pair of Binoculars-- rangefinder built in. Currently I carry a Vortex Rangefinder and an old pair of nikon 12x bino's. I really like both but the nikons dont gather light as well as my scopes do. I haven't had any issues out to 400 yards with the rangefinder so far-- works great.
I would like to find a good pair that balance value and price with light gathering, weight and accuracy/speed of the rangefinder- I know small task right?
I would consider used as well -- I have looked online as well as searched this site-- the threads I pulled up were a couple years old, if there are newer and I missed them-- apologies-
Suggestions?

Hi friendswoodmatt I have just acquired a pair of SIG SAUER Kilo 3000 BDX 10x42 range finding binoculars and find them to be everything and more. They are not Zeiss or Leica but for what you pay I cant fault them. The rangefinding speed is exceptionally quick. They comfortable to carry, they compact, glass is good and they fit your hands well.
Have a look online there are reviews.
Good luck

I have a Lieca Geovid 10x rangefinder. Through my eyes they are clearer than my Swarovski 10x. Personally they are both heavier than I like to carry around my neck. I prefer an 8x30 or 32 and a separate Lieca Rangefinder. I look a lot more than I range. Plus being a bit “long in the tooth”, the lighter my gear, the happier my old body.
JMO

Hi friendswoodmatt I have just acquired a pair of SIG SAUER Kilo 3000 BDX 10x42 range finding binoculars and find them to be everything and more. They are not Zeiss or Leica but for what you pay I cant fault them. The rangefinding speed is exceptionally quick. They comfortable to carry, they compact, glass is good and they fit your hands well.
Have a look online there are reviews.
Good luck

I have yet to hear a bad review of them, Sig really seems to have hit the mark.

I haven't handled any of these and so I am not sure if the weight will be an issue for me. If I am going to upgrade my current optics I want something that gathers light better than my old nikons -- I love these as they are small and I use 12x but 10x would be fine.
There are some negatives -- they constantly require refocus as the eye focus on the one side seems to move alot as does the primary focus-- not sure if this is the norm since I have been using these for 25 years.
To be honest most of the shots I take are 250 or less but I have never been to Africa, so I am trying to get gear I will need and get familiar with it now-- I am booked for 2021. I am not a hobby shooter so extreme range is not a huge deal for me I think.
I am going to go to a store and handle these and see what's what -- thanks for the responses-- the leica's are universally recommended so are the swarovski el range a buddy uses and says they are the finest he has ever used--
I have read a few reviews on the Sig's and they look promising as well

I have used the Leica Rangefinding Geovid HD for several years in North America and Europe. I'll use them next year on the Kamchatka and Austria. They are the finest binoclar that I have ever owned and the lightest, most usable 10x42's that I have ever held. I have brought them along to Africa a couple of times, but I have a set of non-rangefinding 8x32 Ultravid HD's (non-rangefinding) that are better for wilderness hunts where hiking long ours in the hot sun trying to walk down a buffalo can be the norm.

I like my Swaro. I have successfully ranged it out to 1400 shooting steel. I also like the G7-BR2 but it's not a bino.

very very little -- and I have a range finder (vortex) for that-- in fact I love it -- that's one of the things that is in my mind -- I have this range finder and I like it-- do I really need it all in one?
Additionally -- I hunt here at my place-- 2-3 times per week -- very little spot and stalk -- mostly sit and watch-- very very few shots are available over 250 yards do to brush and the blind set -up --
So the vast majority of my hunting other than in the future maybe 1-2 trip per year would be where I didnt know the terrain-- or spot and stalk was more available for longer shots etc (primary reasons for the range finding Binos--

Last edited:
I'm on my second set of Leica Geovid.
The first was a 10x42 R (Gen 1) the real blocky looking ones.
They ended up with my PH as part of his tip.

When we got back I went to Euro Optic in PA and tested out several of the Bino/RF's.
It came down to the Swaro EL Range 10x42 and the Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000.

I chose the Leica for a few reasons.
The bump on the bottom of the Swaro didn't feel natural to me and it throws off the balance.
Also the Swaro put my hands too close together to be comfortable.
The glass between the two is very close, but I prefer the view through the Leica.
The programable ballistic options for the Leica is a big plus as well.

The Geovid are simply amazing, everything I expected.
Buy once, cry once.

I am pretty sure about this, but speak under correction. I think the Leica Geovids are patented to be the only range finding Binoculars that can range below 50 yards. So, if you're a bow hunter like me, then the Leica Geovids sells themselves.

I have the Swaro rangefinder binos. The range finder as well as the glass is excellent. I agree with @BeeMaa that the Leicas have some advantages. They do feel very good and the new model will Bluetooth to phone app as well as the Kestrel. This makes it a superior choice. I will likely wind up with the newest Leicas but it is a big investment.
On the budget side there are now many choices and on these models I would be looking for something lighter than the Swaro or Leica and less worried about features. Just a handy, lightweight, decent Bino for hunting in average situations.
Philip

I am pretty sure about this, but speak under correction. I think the Leica Geovids are patented to be the only range finding Binoculars that can range below 50 yards. So, if you're a bow hunter like me, then the Leica Geovids sells themselves.
I don't know if they are the ONLY ones, but I just checked mine.
They will range 10.1 yards and I do use them for bow hunting.
Giving corrected distance to compensate for shot angle is a real help.
Whether shooting a bow or a rifle, this is a wonderful feature to have.

Like @Philip Glass said...the newer Geovid 10x42 3200.COM with BlueTooth & Kestrel is nice.
If I were into ringing steel at a mile or shooting Pronghorn at 800+ yards, it would be an advantage.
Just not my cuppa...

FYI - Euro Optic has taken $500 off the older 10x42HD-B 3000, probably to move some stock.

I have a pair of Leica Giovid HD-Bs. All I have to say about them is they are amazing. I have a selection of SD cards that I plug in depending of rifle ammo combo and away you go

The ZEISS Victory RF will range down to 10 yards, very beneficial to an archer!

Well -- I went to Bass Pro yesterday and after waiting almost 40 masked for covid minutes to speak with someone, I was able to put my hands on several different pairs of binos yesterday. Unfortunately it didn't really clear much up for me-- the sales weenie didn't know anything about any of the optics and didn't know anybody else in the department that did. Pretty tough to get a good feel for the rangefinding as well as all of the batteries in all of the optics save the vortex were dead. He did inform me however that "Wow-- I didn't know we had binoculars this expensive!" so there is that....
One of the vortex eye pieces would not turn out the "cup" it was frozen
To my eyes --looking at the fish tank area trying to see into the darkest areas (60 yds) I felt like the Swaro's was the best, and interestingly enough vortex was right behind those tied with Leica Geovid
I didn't like the sigs at all -- nikon was ok but for me the image wasnt as clear
I then looked out the windows in the front of the store at a freeway and the swaro's won for me here as well, but to be honest the leicas were so close i couldn't really tell much diff. It was a hue of the image thing and my eyes liked the hue on the Swaro's better. I felt like the vortex were not far behind, but there was a difference in the sharpness of the image.
I couldn't and didn't really get the real test for me and -- the low light test and as such I am going to see who else carries them and I still haven't seen the Zeiss offering as I was told "I think were are out of them." but he didnt go and check anywhere else.
At this point the Swaro's are in the lead -- with Leicas being a close second -- I liked the swaros being a little smaller and honestly I am leaning that way after seeing comments about customer service and Leicas on different forums-- what I didnt expect was the Vortex to be so close at essentially 1/3 the price-- but the eye cup thing bothered me
I still want to see the Zeiss offering --
I very rarely bow hunt -- so I am not sure if ranging to 10 yards is that big of a deal --
Low light image quality and customer service will make the choice for me.
Has anyone had any dealing with customer service for Swaro or Leica or Zeiss? What was your experience?

The ultimate test comes in the low light conditions. I like the Swaros very much, and they could be a hair sharper than the Leicas, but the Leicas edge it for me in the design. I have been using them for the better part of 10 years, at an average of 200-250 hunting days per year, so I might be a bit bias in that regard. You can imagine that in camp, I get to handle all of the brands among hunters, and my choice is still the Leicas. Out of the big 3, Zeiss comes 3rd. Excellent glass, but they are bulky and seem heavy.

I own a pair of Leica 10x40 HD-B Geovids, and Swarovski SLC 8x30's. I have sent both of them away for a service. Both times, I got back binoculars that looked brand new, for the cost of the international courier service. Buying into one of the big 3 range finding binoculars is an investment into yourself, because these companies will always back their product. I don't think that you could go wrong between the Swarovski or the Leicas, but my vote still stands with the Geovids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieSpei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.