Rangefinder Binoculars

My rangefinders are Bushnell 1600, bought when they were first announced. They worked well for elk hunting in the Colorado mountains and in Texas deer blinds for which distances were not already known. Most of my use was just as a binocular, not for range finding. In Colorado, they were useful to determine distances BEFORE setting a sit or stand; once approximate distances are known, the rifle scope does the work for a given shot.

The 1600s are a bit heavy for other hunting , so my stalking binoculars remain my Leupold 10x28 roof prism compacts that I bought many years ago. They worked great in Africa and in any heavy cover situation; I have even spotted a wild turkey head at close range with them. They would be the last ones that I would do without.

Both of the above seem to work well during legal hunting hours in the USA. In Limpopo, hunting big game and varmints after dark was done at close range with spotlights, so a range finding optic was not necessary.

I never did get to see the Zeiss offering -- in the end it came down to race between Swaro and Leica.
I bought the Geovid-hd-b 3000-- mostly because I could not tell any real difference when I got them out and looked around glass wise- I liked the feel of the swaros and the shorter body-- but the rangefinder on the geo vids was faster and I could update the programs to reflect what rifle I have with me and the biggest reason...when all things are equal or seem to be.....
I was able to save 1000 bucks on the leicas vs what the swaro's were because they had a demo pair of the leicas - kind of a no brainer for me-- ill get over the swaro's feeling better in my hands I think.

I got the Swarovski 10x42 O-range last year. A friend of mine has the Leica’s and so did our guide in Africa. They both liked mine better than theirs as far as the optics go. I like them better also, but know there are those that do like the Leica’s better.

Furtherest I’ve ever ranged -was a stop sign at 1989 yards - was able to hit it twice in a row. Was able to repeatably range impala and other small animals out to 1200-1400 yards. Ranged rocks at 1600 pretty regularly.

No complaints here. Simple to use, battery lasts a long time, comfortable strap with extra battery holders built in, well thought out lens covers, eye cups, smooth focus, and great optics for both clarity and low light.

Nitrosteel- I know the Swaros are sweet-- the guy at the store talked me out of them and into saving 1000 buck on the leicas. I can learn to like them better if I am compensated --lol

I used the PH Liecas, they are great but I only had loaner binoculars to compare them with. I don’t have enough use to warrant them but did use them a bit at the lodge to view the animals in the fields out from the lodge.

I see a lot of Lieca support in this thread and for their scopes on this site.
If I was buying sight unseen then I would have to take that on face value and go with the Lieca to much experience here to argue with.

I sold off a few things to finally buy the ones I wanted. I had a pair of SLC 10x42 Binos that I sold along with a nice Steyr rifle, my old swarovski laser guide, and then I still put some money with it.

Wish I had bought them to start with instead of buying the two seperate units.

So if we’ve learnt anything from this thread it’s don’t go to Basspro looking for advice on purchasing a pair of binoculars

So if we’ve learnt anything from this thread it’s don’t go to Basspro looking for advice on purchasing a pair of binoculars
Wife and I took a 8 hour (round trip) drive to Euro Optic to test binos and scopes.
We were looking at rifles as well, but they had everything we were looking for.
I would recommend stopping by if you are able to make the trip.
First class people with very nice rifles, scopes and gear.
Call ahead and let them know what you are looking at, and they will have it ready for you.

Hope this doesn't sidetrack the OP's thread too much, but I am in a similar situation, looking to replace a Leica 400 rangefinder and separate binos with an all-in-one unit. In my case, I do not own a smartphone, and therefore have no use for bluetooth linking with apps or with a Kestrel. Don't really care about the ballistic program either; just looking for a simple unit which will do both jobs.
Any suggestions on which of the aforementioned RF-binos would be a cost-effective option?

Hope this doesn't sidetrack the OP's thread too much, but I am in a similar situation, looking to replace a Leica 400 rangefinder and separate binos with an all-in-one unit. In my case, I do not own a smartphone, and therefore have no use for bluetooth linking with apps or with a Kestrel. Don't really care about the ballistic program either; just looking for a simple unit which will do both jobs.
Any suggestions on which of the aforementioned RF-binos would be a cost-effective option?
The original Leica 10x42R (Leica part #40428) MidwayUSA has them for $1600.
They are the generation 1 of the Leica RF binos and they do have angel compensation.

I had a pair and loved them.
Gave them to my PH as part of his tip.
And because I wanted the new Geovid HD-B 3000.

Thanks BeeMaa, I'll look into those.

Here is a rundown of what I saw not trying to step on toes and this is just my oppinion: please excuse puntuation i am doung this from a new phone.
1. The Sig are a rangefinder first and binos second, really awesome rangefinding package in them at a great price. I didnt like the hand feel of them and i felt the glass wasnt quite as good as the others, just my eyes here the forums about shooting love these binos, if you shoot plates and other things this is the best bang for the buck I suspect.

2. vortex 5000 fury - I really liked these and I cant tell you about the range finder as the battery was dead, the eye piece was frozen, so i discounted them immediately , but the image was clear and bright and they were the most compact of the offerings, honeslty if I could have seen these in low light I might have gone this route but i was leaning towards the leicas or the swaros from the get go. I’ d give these a serious look as they had a great image, have what is reported to be a good/really good range finder and a lifetime warranty.
3. Nikon— image wasnt as good and cant speak to range finder, personally I disocunted these quickly as the diopter wheel was very easy to turn and I felt it would be the same problem I currently have with my old binos, constantly needing to retune the diopter to balance the focus.
4. Zeiss- great reviews, heaveist of all of them I believe, great glass, biggest as well - I never had them in my hot little hands
5.Swaros- awesome glass, all my buddies have them , super dependable rangefinder, but according to the guy and the forums, not the best rangefinder. This part of the unit is good but not as advanced as the others. I dont shoot plates and so it wasnt a big concern. I tealy liked these binos but not enough to overcome the 1000 dollar difference in the deal I got.
6. Leica- I bought the hd b 3000 but they have several other models including some that bule- tooth into a phone to get your firing solution. I read and didnt verify that Leica was the first range finding bino. They have a different prism than the others and on paper it is supposed to give the clearest view. To my eyes it was neck and neck with swaro. Range finder is awesome as well and the camera store guy loved these and had a demo pair he could sell for 1000 less than his demo swaros.
Sorry for the typos- feel free to
Pm if qurstions

I use an ATN 1000 auxiliary ballistic laser it's not that expensive and really worth it.

Last edited:
So my last rangefinder was a Nikon 600, I was very excited about this purchase, but not long after I couldn't shoot a coyote that was standing still about 800 yards away, I decided that with this rangefinder is over I needed a new one. I tried many models from Nikon, Leica, TheSig. I don't know why I didn't like them. I stopped my search at ATN company. ATN ABL Laser Rangefinder 1000. It's not too expensive, simple and quick to attach and has smart controls. Now I am satisfied with my purchase, remain to see for how much time :D .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snowlimitless

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross