Quality vs Costs - Your African Safari

What is more important to you in deciding on a safari destination?

• Above Average Trophy Quality and Quality Accommodation at Higher Rates

• Average Trophy Quality with Comfortable Accommodations at Lower Rates

• Above Average Trophy Quality And Normal Accommodation at Slightly Higher Rates

Results are only viewable after voting.
Above average experience, over above average trophies.

It really depends. My favorite so far has been a tent camp in a remote area, not the luxury place but good critters, totally wild and free ranging. Good trophy quality for the circumstances. I'll take that over a farm raised super huge trophy anyday;)

On the other hand, to hunt places like many in RSA, I might be looking for a place to bring family and if I'm stuck paying all or most of the bill, as long as it is comfortable for everyone, fun times and memorable experiences, especially if I'm bringing first timers.... I think all involved would be happy with decent trophy quality and not too hung up on record books type critters. So for that I might be looking for the second option... So I voted that way in this case.

But I was tempted to not vote because I may go both ways in different circumstances.... Another example is I have been contemplating a couple hunts such such as bongo where AC might be nice;) And a trip to Uganda... And if I'm going all out on expense anyway, I'll decide on the outfit I feel best about. So if that was the hunt I was voting on, I'd vote the first option.

Guess which way I voted.
I know there is not a third option: Above average trophies and sleep on the ground!
Absolutely! All of the accommodations I have seen in Africa are way nicer than I need or want. So far my wife hasn't been with me so that changes things considerably. I have slept in a tent (too small to sit up in) in snow between two glaciers eating freeze dried meals just to get where I needed to be. Africa has spoiled me.

Frankly I have done both and think it is situational as some have mentioned. For me I don’t need five star accommodations just a comfortable bed and electric power. Now if I am bringing the wife back we need to have it darn nice.

Trophy quality is important to me. I do believe you get what you pay for. If you only care about the bottom line price, most of the time that will reflect in the quality of the trophies harvested. Also, I prefer nice accommodations as these hunts are also a vacation for me.

I voted above average, not so much about trophy size or accommodations but the overall experience.

Good point Bob. Thanks for voting.

I don’t have heaps of money, but I do lots of research and go with folks with excellent reputations. It’s worked well for me so far. I’m headed back next year, and it will be my wife’s first trip - so I chose a place that can offer really fancy accommodation and spa / shopping, etc. Plus big kudu.

I selected #2, but accommodations and food are not much of concerns of mine on vacation. Quality of game and the hunting experience on the safari trip rate a lot higher.

Great pole question Marius! Some valuable information...

I selected #2, but accommodations and food are not much of concerns of mine on vacation. Quality of game and the hunting experience on the safari trip rate a lot higher.
It has taken me this long to make up my mind on this poll! I pretty much agree with @enysse so that's how I finally decided to vote. While I'm fairly fussy about trophy quality of the whitetails and mule deer that I hunt here at home (unless I'm meat hunting), I'm less fussy over in Africa. I've only been there once and was more than happy with all my animals except MAYBE my Steenbok. My Gemsbok, Hartebeest and Warthog were probably average, but at home they look awesome to me. I'll be hunting in July with @KMG Hunting Safaris for Kudu, Bushbuck, Nyala, Waterbuck, Springbok and Blesbok. I've never shot any of them before, so each one I get will be my biggest. I will be more than happy with mature, representative animals. If I'm fortunate enough to get above average animals, all the better. The experience is far more important to me than the extra inches of horn or colour of the medal. As far as accommodations are concerned, as long as I'm in a dry comfortable bed with wholesome food in my belly and a place to have a warm shower, I'm happy as can be. I am very hopeful that my better half will come as an observer, so she would likely appreciate a little nicer accomodations than I require, but again, she is pretty easy in that department. I'm definitely not a fancy-schmancy food connessieure. Don't like the taste of wine, so no need for an expensive selection of spirits. Just a decent local beer, some soda and good water. I am going purely for the enjoyment of hunting a different part of Africa, seeing the incredible animals over there and getting the opportunity to hunt with a AH celebrity! I am 110% confident that Marius will show me excellent trophy animals and the accomodations will be more than adequate. All I need is to ensure that I do my part!

I voted above average . . . and was surprised to see which side of 50% I was on!

I should be clear about why I voted the way I did. I voted for trophy size not because I care about the record books - I don't. I voted that way because I only want to hunt old, mature animals, and those tend to be the ones with the larger headgear, although this isn't necessarily the case. Given that I have been fortunate to have taken multiples of just about every trophy South Africa has to offer, I'm more interested these days (assuming I'm not looking for a particular species) in having a good time, hunting old, broken down specimens, with people I enjoy being out with. And if I could sleep under the stars, I would do that too (preferably with @BRICKBURN on watch duty - it only makes sense for the biggest guy to stay up!).

I also voted above average because I'm frankly a bit tired of seeing so many South African outfitters in what I can only call a race to the bottom in terms of reducing their rates. Eventually, this will be bad for outfitters (I assume this has already started), but it will also be bad for hunters, at least in the long run.

.....and getting the opportunity to hunt with a AH celebrity!

Who's that? Someone from AH joining you? :ROFLMAO:

Maybe celebrity for all the wrong reasons....

DSC_0653.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross