Politics

@Woodcarver you've taken the extraordinary case and made it the normative case. You've created strawman arguments to shoot down as well.

I'm aware of no car company that is suggesting an EV or hybrid to provide an alternative to a 1-ton pickup with a V8 diesel engine capable of hauling 15,000 pound trailers.
This is the politics thread. We don't do nuance or rationale here. We might as well just type in all caps from here on out.

@Woodcarver you've taken the extraordinary case and made it the normative case. You've created strawman arguments to shoot down as well.

I'm aware of no car company that is suggesting an EV or hybrid to provide an alternative to a 1-ton pickup with a V8 diesel engine capable of hauling 15,000 pound trailers.
Except that is exactly what they are trying to do by banning the sale of ICE vehicles. Those pushing that ban ARE saying the EV will do it all, with no real concept of what "all" encompasses. My sister and her husband live at 8500', it's 15 miles to the nearest town (read grocery store), and nothing is flat. If either worked in Denver, the nearest actual city, the commute is 25 miles, one way, to the edge.
My examples are not extraordinary, they are commonplace activities for many. There is a reason you won't find very many EVs outside of urban/suburban settings. A limited use vehicle, with a (more) limited lifespan doesn't fit in the budget for the regular folk, living their regular lives, outside of town.

What kind of confused individual defects to one of the most brutal tyrannical governments in the freaking world?

What are we to think of Russia's bombing of the Ukrainian wheat shipping ports and their declaration of all Ukrainian ships as military targets (unless I misunderstood that)? It seems to me that a direct attack on 10% of the world's wheat supply is a major escalation.

Last edited:
There are about 280 mil vehicles in the US. A tiny percentage of these are big, long haul heavy trucks and one ton, fifth wheel tow haulers. The great majority are average cars and light PU trucks. Let's plug them into the grid, all at the same time. A grid that doesn't exist, connected to an on-demand and capable electric power source that doesn't exist, connected to a localized charging infrastructure that doesn't exist while powering inefficient electric heating systems in the winter, air conditioning systems in the summer, powering all manner of electronics electric cooking stoves 24-7 every day. Yep, EV is where it's at all right. Meanwhile let the wind turbines churn, solar panels generate and feel good about it. The chi-comms do- as does Big Green (Waste Management) As well they should because they will rake it in with $obscene contracts to dispose of and store all the huge quantities of the toxic waste generated by the manufacture, use and obsolescence of the "green crap". Meanwhile the chi-comms are building fossil fuel power plants like there Is no tomorrow. Then they strip mine, at great environmental damage, the necessary components and battery chems worldwide. Then they sell all the green energy crap, they can make, to us. Then low IQ politicians and low IQ green commies all buy into the scam and force it down everyone's throat, to our inevitable long term detriment. What's not to like about it. Even the US Congress was conned into defining CO2 as a pollutant!

Remember way back when (like 2 years ago) so many of us were saying this exact thing, but in regard to vaccines?
I feel exactly the same way about the vaccines

"A limited use vehicle, with a (more) limited lifespan doesn't fit in the budget for the regular folk, living their regular lives, outside of town."

Tesla provides a 200,000 KM warranty on the battery and drive:
That's a lot.
Kia 7 years.
It's not for nothing that Tesla was once the most valuable car company, because the conventional manufacturers were asleep for 100 years.
One must also not look into the future from today's point of view.
They are working hard on the batteries so that they have a storage capacity of 700-1,000 KM.
Solar cells on the roofs of cars and houses with a storage system make many things possible today that were unthinkable 5 years ago.

Politics:

Now a WI resident. Suppressors are legal. CCW training for a permit requires only hunter safety and they turn around your permit in 30 days. This is what easy access to 2nd amendment rights looks like.

Compare to:

Illinois gun ownership is a privilege. You must apply for a FOID card which is unconstitutional. You may wait 6-12 months to receive it to use your 2A rights. Home made guns are illegal. I can't even keep track of their bans on magazines and AR-like platforms. CCW requires an in person class that runs you $500. NFA items are prohibited. No suppressors. No normal gun rifle seasons. They also have a lower State credit rating than Romania.

In conclusion:

Wisconsin is great. Illinois sucks. Change my mind.

Politics:

Now a WI resident. Suppressors are legal. CCW training for a permit requires only hunter safety and they turn around your permit in 30 days. This is what easy access to 2nd amendment rights looks like.

Compare to:

Illinois gun ownership is a privilege. You must apply for a FOID card which is unconstitutional. You may wait 6-12 months to receive it to use your 2A rights. Home made guns are illegal. I can't even keep track of their bans on magazines and AR-like platforms. CCW requires an in person class that runs you $500. NFA items are prohibited. No suppressors. No normal gun rifle seasons. They also have a lower State credit rating than Romania.

In conclusion:

Wisconsin is great. Illinois sucks. Change my mind.

Sounds like a vast improvement but your gun laws are still strict by Bama standards.

"A limited use vehicle, with a (more) limited lifespan doesn't fit in the budget for the regular folk, living their regular lives, outside of town."

Tesla provides a 200,000 KM warranty on the battery and drive:
That's a lot.
Kia 7 years.
It's not for nothing that Tesla was once the most valuable car company, because the conventional manufacturers were asleep for 100 years.
One must also not look into the future from today's point of view.
They are working hard on the batteries so that they have a storage capacity of 700-1,000 KM.
Solar cells on the roofs of cars and houses with a storage system make many things possible today that were unthinkable 5 years ago.
200k Km is a shade over 124k miles, that's not a lot. Considering 15k miles/year is considered the norm, that only takes a little over 8 years for the average driver in the US (I was averaging closer to 20k miles/year prior to retiring and becoming a recluse). I would guess that would be uncommon in Europe. My understanding is battery life for the EVs is considered 10 years. Then you're faced with replacement battery cost that exceeds the vehicle value.
Tesla required enormous government support in the form of subsidies to get a very small market share of buyers; who also received a large subsidy from federal and state governments when they buy an EV. Without government support (read my tax dollars), EVs, solar production, wind farms, etc., all fail. Read what T. Boone Pickens had to say about the wind and solar power industry.
At some point, technology might be capable of making the EV a viable option for a larger number of people, but it isn't right now, or for the foreseeable future. Certainly not in the time frame CA and those pushing it want.

you might want to review the Doctrine of the Conservation of Mass and Energy before you bet your life on getting enough from your roof solar panel to power your home and car.

you might want to review the Doctrine of the Conservation of Mass and Energy before you bet your life on getting enough from your roof solar panel to power your home and car.

I guess it depends how big your roof is!

This isn't Afghanistan. It - is - Ukraine - doing - the - fighting. It strikes me that they should have a vote in the length of time they are willing to sacrifice to preserve their right to exist. Either Ukraine or Russia will decide this war is no longer worth the cost and seek a negotiated settlement. I think it would be counter our national interests were we to support Russia in such a conclusion to the conflict.
Ukraine should have a vote in how long it takes? Sure, OK, but on whose nickel?
Do they have the right to dictate how long the American taxpayer is willing to donate to their cause?
Tell me the end game, where does this wind up and when and at what cost to the American taxpayer?

I was out of town for a couple of days, but in just the time I was gone, I see news reports today even from the lamestream media that its not going well for Ukraine, and is basically a stalemate.
How long do you think the American taxpayer should be willing to let Zelensky determine how long we should continue to support this effort?

And who said anything about supporting Russia?

I am so bored with hearing this, but I'll go over it one last time. RedLeg provided a precis of the Eisenhower speech, but if you scroll back I have a more detailed review of that. Enough.

US interests? Try this:
We all speak of a chip shortage. You know we need neon to etch chips, right? And where (at least two years ago) does a large part of the world's neon production originate?

See if you can find where the wiring harness in your car was made.

Then there are little things like "worldwide food supply", specifically grain. Remember back in the 80s, when US family farms were being foreclosed? Do you remember the real reason for that? Long story, but it starts with shortages in Ukraine.

That's just the start...
Well first of all let me express my immense sorrow that you have to continue to mansplain things to people who dont agree with your position. Insert sarcasm here.

But I surely dont wish to bore you any further with any opinions I might have, after all I am just a hick boob that has an opinion that differs from yours and others as well.

In the words of that great western hero, Monte Walsh, when it comes to YOUR opinion on this matter,

"you just cant believe how little I care" (y)

This is tangent to the solar panels on your roof but what happens when you need to replace your roof? Hire someone to come take down the solar panels, replace the roof, then reinstall the solar panels? $$$$$ What is the life span of the solar panels?

FB_IMG_1689900935305.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.