Planning my first safari to Africa

My father and I are trying to plan a trip to Africa for 2023-2024, and we are trying to decide where to go and what to get. I was thinking of a springbok or blue, but I am wondering how a lesser kudu or zebra will go down. I will be using Wetherby Mark V in 243. Any recommendations help.

Thanks,
John

I'm sure your father has a plan for moving you up in caliber. It's hard to know your size over the internet, but I'm sure you're getting to a point where handling light loads in a .30-06 or .308W would not be a problem. My older son shot a .308W at your age and by the time we actually got to Africa he was 15 and could've handled the .30-06 just fine.

Good luck in your planning, you're a very fortunate young man to get to hunt Africa at your age. Especially if you get to Tanzania.

Hi Lead
We can help you with Springbuck, Zebra, Blue Wildebees, Southern Greater Kudu, etc but no Lesser Kudu. We have 40 other huntable species also available including buffalo, lion, sable, roan, leopard (if we can get a license).
We also have different package hunts.
That is the best value for money.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Hi Lead
We can help you with Springbuck, Zebra, Blue Wildebees, Southern Greater Kudu, etc but no Lesser Kudu. We have 40 other huntable species also available including buffalo, lion, sable, roan, leopard (if we can get a license).
We also have different package hunts.
That is the best value for money.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk
Thank you, I don’t think my father has a Sable yet, so that will be something for him to do on the hunt!

Lead, since a 6.5 has already been mentioned, take a good look at an 1896 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. Properly loaded it doesn't leave much if anything on the table when compared to one of the newer 6.5 calibers. I love that caliber and rifle so much that I've purchased one for each of my grandkids. They can be found on Gunbroker for very reasonable prices. Try to find one that has already been sporterized to some extent. They will be much cheaper than one that is in full military guise. Send me a PM if you like and we can discuss this possibility further.

Lead, since a 6.5 has already been mentioned, take a good look at an 1896 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser. Properly loaded it doesn't leave much if anything on the table when compared to one of the newer 6.5 calibers. I love that caliber and rifle so much that I've purchased one for each of my grandkids. They can be found on Gunbroker for very reasonable prices. Try to find one that has already been sporterized to some extent. They will be much cheaper than one that is in full military guise. Send me a PM if you like and we can discuss this possibility further.
Thanks!

Lead, if you want to use a little bigger gun but is sensitive to recoil you can consider a silencer on a bigger caliber.
They take away 50 % of the recoil and most of the noise which allow a younger hunter to shoot a heavier caliber.
Since sound suppressors (silencers) on rifles are very difficult to get licensed in America you might as well use one of your outfitter's rifles.
We have several rifles that have silencers on. One of them a Dakota rifle in 30-06 will be perfect for you and you can shoot any size plains game with it.
Good luck in planning your hunt.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Lead, if you want to use a little bigger gun but is sensitive to recoil you can consider a silencer on a bigger caliber.
They take away 50 % of the recoil and most of the noise which allow a younger hunter to shoot a heavier caliber.
Since sound suppressors (silencers) on rifles are very difficult to get licensed in America you might as well use one of your outfitter's rifles.
We have several rifles that have silencers on. One of them a Dakota rifle in 30-06 will be perfect for you and you can shoot any size plains game with it.
Good luck in planning your hunt.
Sincerely
Hans de Klerk
Thanks, I have stepped up to a 6.5 with a silencer, but have not practiced with it a lot.

Probably CM.

Firstly, your dad is now nominated for "Dad of the year" - Tanzania is a dream for many.

Try a 3006 with a 150gr Barnes bullet load. I think that will be very manageable, and will put all of your list in the salt. The recoil is something you can deal with if you train. Make sure you shoot 10 22LR shots for every 1 or 2 3006 you put down range. It will allow the barrel to cool and you can focus on your form.

A great project would be making your own shooting sticks. I think it is easy to find something on Google. Then shoot your 3006 from that, not the bench. Make a set for your dad too, he deserves it!

Have fun with the discovery of it all. It's the start of a great journey for you.

Tanzania....wow!

See you in a few years when you are looking for a 375 and talking about buffalo!

I wish you a grand adventure Lead. I started my son with a 7x57 when he was 12. That year he harvested trophy antelope, elk and mule deer. If you have one available you couldn’t possibly do better.

IMO the .308 with premium 150 or 165 gr bullets would be an excellent choice for you given the rifles you listed as available. The .243, while an excellent cartridge, is entirely too light for the trophies you aspire to.

On another point, I am available if your dad is looking to adopt!

Firstly, your dad is now nominated for "Dad of the year" - Tanzania is a dream for many.

Try a 3006 with a 150gr Barnes bullet load. I think that will be very manageable, and will put all of your list in the salt. The recoil is something you can deal with if you train. Make sure you shoot 10 22LR shots for every 1 or 2 3006 you put down range. It will allow the barrel to cool and you can focus on your form.

A great project would be making your own shooting sticks. I think it is easy to find something on Google. Then shoot your 3006 from that, not the bench. Make a set for your dad too, he deserves it!

Have fun with the discovery of it all. It's the start of a great journey for you.

Tanzania....wow!

See you in a few years when you are looking for a 375 and talking about buffalo!
Thank you! The dad of the year joke made me laugh

What resources (besides this site) are you using to learn about hunting in Africa? A really great book to read is “ask the Namibian guides” you can get it for $12 used on Amazon now multiple options. In spite of the title it’s relevant for many African hunts. The best magazine for African hunting is African hunting gazette, lot of great articles and information in each issue.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg