One and Only One Bullet manufacturer for Dangerous Game

If you could only use one brand of bullet for Dangerous Game what would it be?

• Barnes

• Hornady

• North Fork

• Peregrine

• Swift

• Woodleigh

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
I've been meaning to post this poll for a while now, mainly as a result of the below thread.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/why-avoid-hornady-dg-bullets-and-ammunition.39124/

Question is simple. If you could use any bullet for DG with no issue of availability and no difference in cost, what would you use? And to PHs I guess the question is the same. What bullet do you want your client using based on your experience.

I get that some may chose a different soft than solid, or a different soft for buffalo than for lion, but if you could only choose one bullet manufacturer who would it be?

If for all DG, then it would have to be solid of some form. The new North Fork and Woodleigh cup nosed solids would seem the two bullets that could both brain jumbo and lung cats and buff. My R8 loves the Woodleigh so I chose it.

I have never felt undergunned or concerned when I have a Barnes TSX in the barrel. In any country or situation I have ever been. Doesn't mean that in certain situations another bullet might work better, but if I only have one, it's the TSX

If for all DG, then it would have to be solid of some form. The new North Fork and Woodleigh cup nosed solids would seem the two bullets that could both brain jumbo and lung cats and buff. My R8 loves the Woodleigh so I chose it.

And this was the kind of issue I was trying to get around, but it's impossible as some manufacturers don't make both soft and solid.

But, I was definitely asking one manufacturer and not necessarily one bullet. So soft and solid combination, at least to the extent available.

I personally love the TSX, but when I started working on a load for my Lott I went a different route simply because I wanted two bullets with same POI and figured (rightly or wrongly) that it would be easier with one bullet manufacturer.

I chose Woodleigh as I really like Woodleighs. Their soft and cup nose solids make for a dependable lineup. But, they didn't have one that is appropriate for my soon-to-be 400 H&H. As a result, I have discovered Cutting Edge Bullets. Same great customer service, same great reviews...so I guess I could have chosen"other". It's a good time to be a reloader!(y)(y)

I was discussing this issue with a friend on mine who lived most of his life in Zimbabwe. He worked in the culling program for the tsetse fly exclusion zone and then for the parks service. He culled hundreds of Buffalo and Elephant. His go to firearm was a FN 458Win and he only ever used solids. I know it is not a bullet brand but his experience means something to me. When I eventually go DG hunting it will be with Woodleigh or Northfork solids.

And this was the kind of issue I was trying to get around, but it's impossible as some manufacturers don't make both soft and solid.

But, I was definitely asking one manufacturer and not necessarily one bullet. So soft and solid combination, at least to the extent available.

I personally love the TSX, but when I started working on a load for my Lott I went a different route simply because I wanted two bullets with same POI and figured (rightly or wrongly) that it would be easier with one bullet manufacturer.
My favorite "soft" in .375 and larger is the TSX. But the Woodleigh Hydro is something special. So, if a single manufacturer for all DG, it has to be Woodleigh.

I was discussing this issue with a friend on mine who lived most of his life in Zimbabwe. He worked in the culling program for the tsetse fly exclusion zone and then for the parks service. He culled hundreds of Buffalo and Elephant. His go to firearm was a FN 458Win and he only ever used solids. I know it is not a bullet brand but his experience means something to me. When I eventually go DG hunting it will be with Woodleigh or Northfork solids.

Completely agree, Neale

I'll vote once I've taken DG, but Barnes TSX was recommended by a couple of PHs. September I may have an opinion. Of course my wife had me redo my will before I go!:( Either she has a plan, or she may know something I don't.

I would use Barnes as choose #1 but #2 would be Swift and #3 would be Woodleigh. To me everyone one of these is excellent. I have seen some failures with Swift-A Frame ammo. After using them exclusively on the last 3 trips, I have seen them separate into pieces. Yes, they still got the job done but the bullet mushroomed out into pieces, separating everywhere. Luck for me shot placement was excellent and the fragments just made a larger wound.

I voted North Fork I'm sure to no one's surprise that has ever read any of my posts about them. If I was leaning towards a mono-metal, I'd be inclined to use the Peregrine's. I believe their design is a little better than the TSX. Not really a knock on the TSX, I just like the design better as I believe it leads to less copper fouling.

I would use Barnes as choose #1 but #2 would be Swift and #3 would be Woodleigh. To me everyone one of these is excellent. I have seen some failures with Swift-A Frame ammo. After using them exclusively on the last 3 trips, I have seen them separate into pieces. Yes, they still got the job done but the bullet mushroomed out into pieces, separating everywhere. Luck for me shot placement was excellent and the fragments just made a larger wound.

Wow Eric, you're the first I've "known" to say that about the A-Frame. Do you have pics of those bullets? I believe you, I'd just also like to see the pics.

Wow Eric, you're the first I've "known" to say that about the A-Frame. Do you have pics of those bullets? I believe you, I'd just also like to see the pics.

Me too! I would like more info for sure!

I've got new boxes of swift A Frames and North Fork in the reloading room. I've got a half dozen different rifles I'm going to load with these and test the two of them and see what results I get. Both bullets have outstanding records and write ups, it will be interesting to see which ones my rifles like.

The only thing dangerous about the Hornady line up is that they are dangerous to use; a cartridge that is guarenteed to fail time and again when you need them most.

Interesting comments re the Swift A frame.

Being an Aussie, I'm prejudiced, so Woodleigh. As an aside, read the "testing" Geoff McDonald dd when setting up in business. extensive cull shooting on water buff in Australia, and penetration testing on Elephant in Africa.
None of this block of wood, or ballistic gel stuff, but the real thing. The same applies to his Hydro bullets; lots of live game assessment. If Norma load his projectiles in their DG ammo, that'll do me....

I'm no expert but I have been served by Swift , bullets. Norma loads them which is what factory ammo I prefer.

I don't venture to far away from Barnes TTSX. Based on past results. However, for my 375 H&H I have bought A-Frames & some woodleighs..... now I just have to save enough money to use it on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg