One and Only One Bullet manufacturer for Dangerous Game

If you could only use one brand of bullet for Dangerous Game what would it be?

• Barnes

• Hornady

• North Fork

• Peregrine

• Swift

• Woodleigh

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
K-Man, nothing at all to prevent their use; they have great combinations of softs/solids in most if not all calibers; go for them!!!

Bad idea for DG, period.

K-Man, nothing at all to prevent their use; they have great combinations of softs/solids in most if not all calibers; go for them!!!

"They" ?

By "they" I meant Hornady; must admit I have never used their DG bullets; I will stick to Woodleigh if I go DG hunting. Woodleigh claim that they have supplied US manufacturers with DG projectiles in the past; no names mentioned.

I've made it to Africa three times (so far) and have used a different manufacturer's bullet on each trip. Best performance was easily North Fork (both soft point and cup point). Barnes TSX bullet was next best performer and also did just fine. Hornady bullets came in third place. I have used both a 30.06 and a .375 H&H in Africa. Next trip I'll probably take a .300 WM and the .375 H&H. The 30.06 worked just fine, but the .300 WM will shoot a little flatter on the long shots. Last point - I'm a reloader so I can find loads that work well in my rifles. Hope this helps.

Steve

If you'd asked about plains game, I'd have said Barnes hands down. But you didn't. You asked about dangerous game, so that means larger calibers. Of the brands you listed, my choice - and I've used both on DG - would be either the Barnes or the Swift A-Frame, with the tie going to the A-Frame. It's always performed well for me, and those bullets I've recovered have always mushroomed perfectly. Now if you were talking elephant, I'd tell you that you need to add Federal to the list - the Sledgehammer solid is one of the best.

Hornady DGX

Oh c'mon, someone had to say it :ROFLMAO:

Oh well fact of the matter is this is what I have used. Dropped everything from lion, buffalo, elephant, Nyala, hogs, giraffe and another giraffe. I know most think I'm nuts but I have never had a problem. DGX and DGS!

Let the snickering begin!!

I maybe using them myself.

Oh well fact of the matter is this is what I have used. Dropped everything from lion, buffalo, elephant, Nyala, hogs, giraffe and another giraffe. I know most think I'm nuts but I have never had a problem. DGX and DGS!

I guess my question is Charlie if it's your favorite bullet and you believe it's the best bar none, then why did you waste the extra money on aframes for the hippo?

I mean if Pieter thought it was a great choice for elephant wasn't it good enough for hippo?

Now if you were talking elephant, I'd tell you that you need to add Federal to the list - the Sledgehammer solid is one of the best.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Speer makes the sledgehammer?

Either way though, the vote would have to be "other." :)

No snickering, we've already had 50 pages of debate on that one. Glad you never had a failure.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Speer makes the sledgehammer?

Either way though, the vote would have to be "other." :)
It's not entirely clear who makes the bullet. Jack Carter - of trophy bonded bear claw, which is a Federal bullet - designed it I think, and while Speer does load it, Federal does as well, and that's the one I can buy up here. We do things our own way in Canada, @Royal27. You may have noticed that our Prime Minister has much better hair than your President. Take that.

And by the way, "other" is a reasonably off-putting category. So I'm not choosing it.

I guess my question is Charlie if it's your favorite bullet and you believe it's the best bar none, then why did you waste the extra money on aframes for the hippo?

I mean if Pieter thought it was a great choice for elephant wasn't it good enough for hippo?

Different rifle @Royal27 and I thought I would give some lesser BRAND a try thus giving the hippo a sporting chance .....you know given the terrible performance I've had with those crappy Hornady bullets in the past. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Oh don't forget I took some Bear Claws for the hippo as well.

I voted Barnes, as did a number of other people. I then realized that ATF has stopped them from selling the banded solid in a large number of calibers. I happen to have a 404 and they are still available in .423, but if you have a 458 or a 375, you are currently SOL for Barnes solids.

Which reminds me: today-s to-do list: order lifetime supply of solids.

I don't have a dog in this hunt but these may be another option. They do make solids in .375 and .458.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/cutting-edge-bullets/rifle-bullets?caliber=44&p=1

Screenshot (17).png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a dog in this hunt but these may be another option. They do make solids in .375 and .458.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/cutting-edge-bullets/rifle-bullets?caliber=44&p=1

View attachment 197538

I've used their .458 260gr SOCOM bullet on PG and lioness, devastating. The more normal weights for DG calibers according to many I know that have used them on DG report the same. My only concern in the hollow points for DG is deflection of brush if you had to shoot in/through thick stuff.

The solids from in the lab to in the field provide amazing performance. On the "Why Not Hornady" thread from a little while back, I believe I posted photos of two different buffalo killed by their solids after the bullets had passed through trees, hit the buffalo and passed through it too.

Charlie, I certainly don't think you're nuts..... Only that you don't want to recognize the difference between a bullet that failed to structurally hold together, yet killed just fine in your instances. And one that does what it is advertized to do :rolleyes: But that has all been debated at nosium..... And you know I respect the Ruger Guide Gun you normally favor;)

CEB,
1 Cape Buff, 1 Tuskless, 50+ Water Buff Down Under on a Cull Hunt

CEB,

Was the tuskless with the solid and the rest with the Raptor?

Charlie, I certainly don't think you're nuts..... Only that you don't want to recognize the difference between a bullet that failed to structurally hold together, yet killed just fine in your instances. And one that does what it is advertized to do :rolleyes: But that has all been debated at nosium..... And you know I respect the Ruger Guide Gun you normally favor;)

Well said Bob.

CEB,

Wow!

That's a lot of water buffalo!

Any additional comments around CEB and any issues with angles (like any hard quartering away shots), % that were pass through etc? I'd love to hear more about your thoughts on CEB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you