AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
.....over 300 caribous/reindeers at Nationalpark Hardangervidda
Terrible
Foxi
rentiere.jpg

Good Lord - what did this?

lightning, holy crap talk about odd.

Lightning? Wow, never heard of that many being killed!

WOW! Saw that this morning

Wow, that's incredible. We had 2 beef cows killed by lightning one summer and have seen other herds lose up to a dozen in one lightning strike, but nothing even close to 322 animals. Very sad.

Terrible news. Really bizarre.

Wow, hard to imagine a single strike would have killed that many.

That is incredible. What a shame for them.

One of the reasons to run for the low lands when you are hiking high in the rocks.

Must have been a good storm and some nice wet ground to catch so many.

Electrifying.

Never heard of lightning killing so many animals with a strike.

The Aussies apparently have a lost a few sheep (all in one go) to lightning

i-fbbbfd29389a1015b9cb1d9ad2bb9339-Raft_River_Mountains_1939_dead_sheep_July-2009.jpg

It is indeed very odd...this happened within my county..

Our wildlife people are investigating the incident..

Amazing! The power of Mother Nature can never be under estimated but I would not of even considered lightening to be the cause if not told?

Maybe, maybe not. I know nothing about this, but here's something to consider from a participant on Gary Reeder's site (an American gunsmith):

Lightning is a part of the E3 (Environmental Effects) area of Electromagnetics that I worked in for over 48 years and I have never seen a strike foot print with the number of leaders that would be required to be present to cover such a wide area. The normal strike cross sectional diameter of a normal 1.5 megavolt 25000 amp strike is about 6 inches. I would be more inclined to look for some sort of disease that strikes fast and would kill a lot of these ungulates rapidly. Perhaps anthrax or some other disease that would act within a few days. The bellies are well swollen in the picture so I suspect that they have been dead over a period of several days. Long enough for a disease to have killed that many raindeer. Just my opinion in the for what its worth department.

This is a true reflection of how powerful mother nature is! If i didn't see it i would have never believed that lightning could take out so many animals in a flash.

I don't agree with the disease comment, in my opinion if it was disease they would never had died together, surely they would have wondered off from each other a bit.

But makes you think if they weren't possibly poisoned with something really fast acting and deadly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg