Norway: flash kills......

Foxi

AH legend
Joined
Jul 31, 2012
Messages
2,635
Reaction score
6,417
Location
Austria
Media
199
Articles
9
Hunting reports
Africa
7
Europe
1
.....over 300 caribous/reindeers at Nationalpark Hardangervidda
Terrible
Foxi
rentiere.jpg
 
Good Lord - what did this?
 
lightning, holy crap talk about odd.
 
Lightning? Wow, never heard of that many being killed!
 
WOW! Saw that this morning
 
Wow, that's incredible. We had 2 beef cows killed by lightning one summer and have seen other herds lose up to a dozen in one lightning strike, but nothing even close to 322 animals. Very sad.
 
Terrible news. Really bizarre.
 
Wow, hard to imagine a single strike would have killed that many.
 
That is incredible. What a shame for them.
 
One of the reasons to run for the low lands when you are hiking high in the rocks.

Must have been a good storm and some nice wet ground to catch so many.
 
Electrifying.

Never heard of lightning killing so many animals with a strike.
 
The Aussies apparently have a lost a few sheep (all in one go) to lightning


i-fbbbfd29389a1015b9cb1d9ad2bb9339-Raft_River_Mountains_1939_dead_sheep_July-2009.jpg
 
It is indeed very odd...this happened within my county..

Our wildlife people are investigating the incident..
 
Amazing! The power of Mother Nature can never be under estimated but I would not of even considered lightening to be the cause if not told?
 
Maybe, maybe not. I know nothing about this, but here's something to consider from a participant on Gary Reeder's site (an American gunsmith):

Lightning is a part of the E3 (Environmental Effects) area of Electromagnetics that I worked in for over 48 years and I have never seen a strike foot print with the number of leaders that would be required to be present to cover such a wide area. The normal strike cross sectional diameter of a normal 1.5 megavolt 25000 amp strike is about 6 inches. I would be more inclined to look for some sort of disease that strikes fast and would kill a lot of these ungulates rapidly. Perhaps anthrax or some other disease that would act within a few days. The bellies are well swollen in the picture so I suspect that they have been dead over a period of several days. Long enough for a disease to have killed that many raindeer. Just my opinion in the for what its worth department.
 
This is a true reflection of how powerful mother nature is! If i didn't see it i would have never believed that lightning could take out so many animals in a flash.

I don't agree with the disease comment, in my opinion if it was disease they would never had died together, surely they would have wondered off from each other a bit.

But makes you think if they weren't possibly poisoned with something really fast acting and deadly.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,298
Messages
1,572,014
Members
169,474
Latest member
AubreyWyan
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top