New Member from Kentucky

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hey guys,
I have decided to make my first safari a reality, so I've joined here to hopefully meet and chat with some knowledgeable and experienced safari hunters. A little about me, I live in Kentucky, and work for a local short line railroad, I am an avid hunter and I spent several years in the military quite a bit of that was in the middle east. I have hunted a fair amount in the states, black bear in Maine, Elk in Wyoming , Ducks anywhere I can find them including Texas, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky and probably a few others, I have assisted a friend of mine on a bear hunt on Kodiak Island. He was stationed there in the coast guard and had residency so he could get a tag and I figured that would be as close as I would ever get to killing one of those.
So, now here we are getting ready to start planning a safari, which is a totally foreign thing to me, as I assume it is much different in planning and execution than any of the hunts I have been on prior. Let me give some info here and you guys feel free to fire back with all the tips and info you want. Here is my plan, I want to plan a hunt for approx 4-5 years from now. I believe in that amount of time with a judicious amount of Ramen noodle eating and drinking cheap beer I can save up about $30,000 give or take a few dollars. I don't have any idea where that lands me in the world of safaris. I would love to hunt one of the big five and as I understand it the buffalo is the most economical, I know I could do a plains game hunt but I can't stand the thought of making the only trip to Africa that I will probably get and not hunt one of the "Big Five". maybe I've read too much Capstick, but that is the way I see it. I would greatly appreciate any advice you all can give to get me pointed in the right direction as far as, what areas to look at, what PH's to look into, what my budget will actually allow me to accomplish and so forth. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning all I can here.

Thanks

Welcome to AH.

1. Start reading the hunt reports. It will let you know about options, countries, etc.
2. Review the deals section. It will give you budget ideas.
3. 30,000 will take you a pretty long way with a lot of outfitters.

Have fun.

Welcome to the site. a few months ago I hadn't given Africa a first thought, let alone a second thought- now I'm seriously considering avenues to get there. The best advice I can give is to check the thread titled something like "Better questions to ask an outfitter". the administrator notes a common question then list several improvements and refinements of the question and it will lead to a much better understanding of what is being offered by the various outfitters and which will be the closest to what you are wanting in a safari. Good luck to you, and again, Welcome. :<)

Welcome to the forum @Backyardsniper ,
Great to have you join our community. If you need any guidance in planning your safari, most members here have all the necessary experience to offer solid advice.
All the best in your quest.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome! You have joined the right forum to guide you towards your dreams!

Hello! Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH sir!

Welcome to AH Backyardsniper! Lots to research here and plenty of valuable advice to be had from members...

Welcome :S Welcome:

Welcome to AH

Enjoy!

Good luck with the planning.You will find great advice and outfitter here that will make that dream come true

Welcome to AH! I would make a list of animals you are interested in hunting and post an offer on AH. You will get a pretty good hunt. Prices are good right now.

Welcome to our site. You will find anything and everything you want to know here about hunting in Africa. For $30000 I can go too and be your gun bearer!
Will be making my first trip with my son on July 1.

Welcome to AH !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg