AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Wyoming, Montana, Texas, Zimbabwe
Hi All,

Just joined to do some research about a first hunting Safari hopefully in June this year or March next year. I'm from Wyoming but currently live in Kuwait as an expat. Not much hunting or outdoor activity to do here so plenty of time to research my next hunt.

My wife and I spent a week in Tanzania last year in the Serengeti and both loved it. While I do enjoy just watching and taking photos, I know there is a big difference in going to Yellowstone and watching elk versus trying to out maneuver one for a shot. We have been to South Africa multiple times and on one trip also ventured to Zimbabwe and Botswana. So this trip I would like to go somewhere new, and I think Namibia is likely the right balance for budget and time.

Based on the searching I have done on the forums I'm leaning towards using Kowas Adventure Safaris. They appear to be very popular and I think within my budget. My goal on my first safari is Kudu. Not concerned with trying to shoot tons of animals and I figure I will work up to dagga boys but that's not in the budget yet.

I'm looking for a no fence fair chase hunt, the possibility of getting skunked actually makes it more fun for me. Chasing elk in Wyoming growing up I'm used to going home empty handed and that's never stopped me from having great stories and memories with family and friends.

If anyone has first hand knowledge with Kowas who would be willing to discuss with me that would be great.

Also happy to listen to other recommendations.

Thanks for everyone who has posted so much information as I have already learned a lot searching through the forums.

--
John

Welcome to AH John! Glad you made it to the posting side.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH forum. Great bunch here; respectful and knowledgeable.

Giday John and welcome to the A H forums.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome to you! You will learn from the very knowledgable people here. I sure do!

:S Welcome:

Hello Greffdog

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Kowas Adventure Safaris has a great reputation and so, I predict that they will treat you and your family quite well.

That said and indeed, even though I advertise for my favorite Namibian outfit = Khomas Safaris, nonetheless no matter who you book your hunt/s with, I am always happy to chit-chat with you, about what to bring and what not to bring to Africa.
This especially pertains to rifles, ammunition, sighting arrangements, clothing, footwear, binoculars and so forth.

Upon your triumphant return from that first Africa hunting experience, I shall look forward to your hunting report, here within the world’s greatest forum.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog / Paul.

Welcome to AH John, enjoy your trip to Namibia, it is a great country with lots to offer.

Welcome John.

Hi All,

Just joined to do some research about a first hunting Safari hopefully in June this year or March next year. I'm from Wyoming but currently live in Kuwait as an expat. Not much hunting or outdoor activity to do here so plenty of time to research my next hunt.

My wife and I spent a week in Tanzania last year in the Serengeti and both loved it. While I do enjoy just watching and taking photos, I know there is a big difference in going to Yellowstone and watching elk versus trying to out maneuver one for a shot. We have been to South Africa multiple times and on one trip also ventured to Zimbabwe and Botswana. So this trip I would like to go somewhere new, and I think Namibia is likely the right balance for budget and time.

Based on the searching I have done on the forums I'm leaning towards using Kowas Adventure Safaris. They appear to be very popular and I think within my budget. My goal on my first safari is Kudu. Not concerned with trying to shoot tons of animals and I figure I will work up to dagga boys but that's not in the budget yet.

I'm looking for a no fence fair chase hunt, the possibility of getting skunked actually makes it more fun for me. Chasing elk in Wyoming growing up I'm used to going home empty handed and that's never stopped me from having great stories and memories with family and friends.

If anyone has first hand knowledge with Kowas who would be willing to discuss with me that would be great.

Also happy to listen to other recommendations.

Thanks for everyone who has posted so much information as I have already learned a lot searching through the forums.

--
John
Welcome to the forum John...and congratulations on planning your first hunt. That is wonderful that you have already been to so many places in Africa. I don't know Kolas Adventure Safaris but I'm sure someone here can help you out. Happy adventures....and happy hunting! Sue Tidwell

Welcome to the forum!
Congrats on big decision for first safari!
Considering your described preferences, you may add Eland to the list with kudu.
Eland was the toughest plains game hunt for me (after three safaris)

Welcome welcome welcome

Welcome and look forward to your participation! If we can be of any assistance with US Customs or shipping, please call, email, or send me a message!

:S Welcome: to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northerngos

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.