New from Commiefornia

Always dreamed about hunting Africa. It could finally be a possibility. I would like to explore the options. Would like opinions on a starting rifle for African game, even if I never get there. .375 H & H? .458 Win Mag? .460 Weatherby? Winchester? CZ? Weatherby? Ruger? What are your opinions?
Welcome to the forum, @Bwana Man . I think the best way to make a decision on the rifle would be to first establish what area you would like to hunt. What works for an area such as the Limpopo where something such as a 375 would be ideal, would not be ideal for a hunt in the Eastern Cape where you can encounter a lot bigger country in the mountains. For the mountain hunts, the magnums really do well. My advice would be first establish an area, then decide on the tool.

All the best with your research. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that we could possibly assist with.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH. !

Welcome - don't hang around with this AH bunch otherwise you'll find yourself in a different hemisphere. I'm very much a .30-06 fanboy but it's only the second most versatile caliber in the world behind the rimless .375 H&H.

With solids, the .375 is even better on the Tiny 10 than a .30-06.

Absolutely get a .375 before going to Africa the first time. I promise it'll make the whole experience better.

I won't even charge you 2¢ for this advice...

Always dreamed about hunting Africa. It could finally be a possibility. I would like to explore the options. Would like opinions on a starting rifle for African game, even if I never get there. .375 H & H? .458 Win Mag? .460 Weatherby? Winchester? CZ? Weatherby? Ruger? What are your opinions?
Welcome to AH.
For plains game your favorite deer rifle will usually be fine. However, IMO the best all around caliber is the 375 H&H you mentioned. My 375 is a Ruger #1. Do I have bigger calibers……yep but that is a personal choice.
whatever you choose make sure you can shoot the rifle well and out the round where you aim.

Hello Bwana Man,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I can honestly say that I do know how you feel.
Because, I was born and raised in Los Angeles, until around age 14 or 15.
Then, my family moved to Sacramento.
After high school, I just kept moving north (Colusa, Gridley, Chico, etc.) until finally digging a tunnel under the wall and escaping from Soviet California.
I made it all the way to Alaska and I’m an old geezer now so, the KGB has hopefully forgotten about me at this stage.
That was a tic over 40 years ago.
Blah blah blah and whatever……

Anyway, as for African rifles and cartridges go, many “main stream” calibers beginning at about 7x57 caliber …. (and / or the strangely popular 7mm-08, LoL), up through and including my favorite - the .375 H&H can serve you extremely well on almost (almost) all non dangerous species, pretty much world wide, including Africa.
On that thought, provided you don’t use too light / fast / fragile of a bullet then, if you shoot whatever rifle well, (again = 7x57 and up) it will put animals in the salt with reliable consistency.

I say “almost” because heavy game (eland, N. American bison, Asian buffaloes and perhaps freakishly large swine) IMO, should not be hunted with what we often refer to as “deer calibers”.
For me personally, these huge animals are better taken with cartridges beginning about at .33 caliber / 250 grain bullet leaving the muzzle around 2400 feet per second, bare bones minimum.
And again, I like the .375 H&H best, so that all non-dangerous game, including the huge ones can be taken swiftly, inflicting minimal suffering in the process.

As others have mentioned already, the .375 will also suit you as a client, on much of the world’s dangerous game as well, including but not limited to, African buffalo, N. American grizzly bear, African lion and the list goes on.
It is a bit much for leopard (lightening fast and super dangerous animal but not especially huge of body) and this caliber is probably a bit light for elephant.
However, with the right bullet, fired into just the right place, the .375 H&H works well enough.
Plus it shoots as flat as a .30-06, for longer shots on non-dangerous game that, live in the wide open spaces.

Not in any order of preference, these are a few of my somewhat favorite cartridges for non-dangerous game, world wide:

7x57 Mauser - 160 grain
7mm Remington Magnum - 160 and 175 gr.
.30-06 - 180, 200 and 220 gr.
.300 H&H - (same bullets).
8x57 Mauser - 196 gr.
The above cartridges are well suited for animals weighing up to around 350 to 400 pounds, approximately.

Below are cartridges well suited for all non-dangerous game, world wide, even the huge ones:

.338-06 - 250 gr.
.338 Winchester - 250 gr.
.35 Whelen - 225 and 250 gr.
9.3x62 Mauser - 286 gr.
And I already rambled enough about the .375 H&H being the best of the best for what I hunt with it.

Honorable mention goes to the 6.5x55 Mauser cartridge with 140 to 160 grain bullets, when hunting N. American deer, pronghorn and similar sized hooved game.
It’d be a real peach for “deer size” African impala, reedbok, warthog and many other similar sized African critters.
However, many PH’s there do not recommend cartridges under 7mm for arriving clients and I respect that.
Besides, just my luck, I’d be carrying my little 6.5 and stumble across a 2,000 pound bull eland in thick bush (Murphy’s Law is alive and well).

Rant Over.
Glad you joined.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Welcome. This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy

Welcome to AH, you picked a great place to start your journey to hunt Africa.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. It does seem like a .375 H & H would be a good start for an African caliber.

Hallo. Welcome to send us an email and we would gladly help you with information on riffles.
info@leopardlegend.com
L'wyk - Owner and Big Game PH in Namibia

Welcome to AH @Bwana Man.

If you have a 270WIN, 7mmRM or .30 caliber...take it to Africa and hunt PG using premium bullets with proper practice off sticks.

That said, an African safari is the perfect reason to indulge in a new rifle. As almost everyone else has said, the 375H&H or 375RUGER are a logical first mid-bore for someone new to it. And I very much agree. What ever rifle you choose, make sure it's reliable...dead reliable. And make sure you are well practiced in its use and function to the point that you can do it in your sleep. Show up in Africa well practiced with some Swift A-Frames and a 375...your PH will be impressed. And you will leave with many trophies.

Welcome to AH, lots of good infor here.

Welcome to AH ! sending you a pm, I’m behind the red curtain as well, haha.

Good day Bwana man. Welcome to AH. Hope you are doing well.

I noted your inquiry on which caliber and also good advise has been given in this regard, my penny's worth, you will not go wrong with a .375.

GTA is a long standing Outfitting operation facilitating free-ranging safaris in Tanzania, Namibia (incl Caprivi), Botswana, South Africa and Cameroon. GTA's diverse offering in five countries provides clients with the flexibility to tailor their Safari to fit their specific needs taking into account their planned journey, experience expectation and species diversity. You are welcome to contact us with your basic needs or framework plan and we can assist to put a best fit Safari proposal together to start the conversation/ for consideration.

You are welcome to email me on what you have in mind as the offerings in the various countries provides for different experiences. Enjoy the planning.

Hunting reports on AfricaHunting.com for Game Trackers Africa:
- https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tanzania-three-generations-hunt-the-selous.45182/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threa...me-trackers-africa-in-the-eastern-cape.39710/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threads/tanzania-great-adventure-with-game-trackers-africa.40875/
- https://www.africahunting.com/threa...rk-continent-with-game-trackers-africa.40876/

Welcome to the forum. Does California require nontoxic or monolithic bullets for all hunting? Just curious. Thanks, TheGrayRider.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColetteKle

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.