IMG_8288.JPG

The pics don't give the impression of self sustaining wildlife though.

imag0686-jpg.474415

The sable calf is born between Brown Hyenas, Spotted Hyenas, Leopards, Cheetah, Caracal and Black backed Jackal, the Heard can cross the cattle fences into any area where they feel comfortable across the 430 000 acre Conservacy and further till the Namib. Therefore I’d regard the sable family as self sustaining in our ecosystem and an accomplishment of hunters dollars protecting our wild areas and wildlife within.

IMG_4911.JPG

Fine old Kudu recently take within our Khomas Highland Conservacy

I thought that Philip's foto of the sable and oryx might give some the impression of a ranching operation. Far from correct. I found more solitude in this massive and wild 400,000 + acres than I ever did in hunting 2 million acres in Moz....(with it's inherent goat herds, school kids, villages and motorbikes.) If you're seeking a free range hunt, you won't go wrong with Philip Hennings at KHS.........FWB

I guess Tanks defines self-sustaining as meaning "with no aid from man", so under his definition providing water means not self-sustaining. But most outfitters mean, I think, supplemental animals aren't shipped in to keep herd numbers up.

Regarding not being self sustaining wildlife without human aid of providing water places and drilling for water wells, there would be hardly Wildlife left in our "dessert" country which is prone to longer periods of drought. Since Man has provided water our wildlife numbers in Namibia are on the increase. What we mean with self sustaining is calving and growing up without human aid.
Good hunting on your paths and thank you for your comments.

When are you going? we don’t have specific dates yet. Im thinking late May
We’ll be there June 25-July 1 unless something happens. I would like to stay more than a week but I don’t think I’ll be able to make it happen and I’m too impatient to wait another year to go to Africa lol

If only the airlines were even remotely as efficient as Phillip’s operation. Currently I’m stuck in a hotel in Ethiopia after a hunt with Phillip. He has a great operation. I’ll get a full hunt report out after I get back home.

How was it having to overnight in Ethiopia?

Ethiopian air took care of everything. When we got off the plane we were directed to another line depending on our connection. Once we got in the correct line (over an hour later) they had our new boarding passes stapled to a hotel voucher. We found our way to an attendant who had placed us with a driver in a minivan. We were taken across town to a hotel that in it’s day would have been very nice. This was at 5:00am. They had breakfast ready when we arrived. They called us for lunch and dinner. Then took us back to the airport at about 5:00pm for our 11:50pm departure. You don’t have to or get to think for yourself. I didn’t care for the location of the hotel or it’s condition, but I really like the Ethiopian people. Very friendly and try to be very helpful. Sometimes they have the skill to be helpful and sometimes not. I will fly this route again because it saves me 10+ hours of flight time to Namibia, but I’ll look at staying in a different part of town.

Ethiopian air took care of everything. When we got off the plane we were directed to another line depending on our connection. Once we got in the correct line (over an hour later) they had our new boarding passes stapled to a hotel voucher. We found our way to an attendant who had placed us with a driver in a minivan. We were taken across town to a hotel that in it’s day would have been very nice. This was at 5:00am. They had breakfast ready when we arrived. They called us for lunch and dinner. Then took us back to the airport at about 5:00pm for our 11:50pm departure. You don’t have to or get to think for yourself. I didn’t care for the location of the hotel or it’s condition, but I really like the Ethiopian people. Very friendly and try to be very helpful. Sometimes they have the skill to be helpful and sometimes not. I will fly this route again because it saves me 10+ hours of flight time to Namibia, but I’ll look at staying in a different part of town.

I am the exact opposite. I will do it whatever is necessary to avoid Ethiopia Air going back lol.

Glad the stay over was nice for you! I will admit if that if that was the only to get back, then I would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.