My Covid vaccination experience

@Red Leg

The infectious disease experts have been correct and out front in predicting this virus the entire time (sure, it was a moving target in the beginning). The idea the fine folks of Pigsknuckle Mississippi and the other states you mentioned (who btw have all been in the top 50% of states in cases per capita to date) are suddenly the model the rest of the US should follow is sketchy at best considering they are doing a full 180 of the scientists who, again, have been right pretty much every step of the way.

Have those states been doing well as of recent, sure, the numbers don't lie. However, it is because of the combo of the earliest warmer weather, vaccinations, and their temporary immunity bc they all got sick from their wreckless holiday gatherings.

So are those states at 70% herd immunity right at this moment? Perhaps. But we know the antibodies from having covid are only good for a short period of time, and that time from the holiday surge is about to expire. Those states need to keep up their momentum and the only way to do that is to go get vaccinated.

Regardless...we have 2 safe and extremely effective vaccines that are now readily available. I would urge everyone receive it so we can return to normal safely. Safely being the key word

Some statistics for your critical review from unbiased sources. Compared to other large states, I think those fumbling inbred hicks from Texas and Florida have somehow managed this pretty well. Moreover, they did it with far less downstream negative effects - both economic and health - than their clearly more progressive and enlightened cousins in the Northeast.

Must be very nearly devastating for the approved narrative trying to be created for this event.

Last edited:
But those are my choices and mine alone. If you are vaccinated and want to continue to live like you are in some sort of danger or represent some sort of danger to your fellow citizens then fine. Isolate, wear multiple masks, avoid crowds, bathe in bleach for all I care - whatever makes you happy. I simply would suggest stop dictating to others how they manage their own risks.
When one's choices are so selfish they literally kill hundreds of thousands of people, I don't plan on stopping suggesting how people make choices. I hope eating a hamburger in a bar and refusing to wear masks was worth it to 1/2 the country bc they cost millions of people their families and friends. It should be criminal.

When one's choices are so selfish they literally kill hundreds of thousands of people, I don't plan on stopping suggesting how people make choices. I hope eating a hamburger in a bar and refusing to wear masks was worth it to 1/2 the country bc they cost millions of people their families and friends. It should be criminal.
That is so blatantly a ridiculous and contemptuous a statement that I refuse to respond seriously. But it is also perfectly illustrative of what a sick, negative Alice and Wonderland world into which so many of my fellow citizens have descended. Guess you better arrest the populations of the states of Texas and Florida. At the rate we're going, Biden (or whomever is running the government) will soon likely have that authority.

@Red Leg

The infectious disease experts have been correct and out front in predicting this virus the entire time (sure, it was a moving target in the beginning). The idea the fine folks of Pigsknuckle Mississippi and the other states you mentioned (who btw have all been in the top 50% of states in cases per capita to date) are suddenly the model the rest of the US should follow is sketchy at best considering they are doing a full 180 of the scientists who, again, have been right pretty much every step of the way.

Have those states been doing well as of recent, sure, the numbers don't lie. However, it is because of the combo of the earliest warmer weather, vaccinations, and their temporary immunity bc they all got sick from their wreckless holiday gatherings.

So are those states at 70% herd immunity right at this moment? Perhaps. But we know the antibodies from having covid are only good for a short period of time, and that time from the holiday surge is about to expire. Those states need to keep up their momentum and the only way to do that is to go get vaccinated.

Regardless...we have 2 safe and extremely effective vaccines that are now readily available. I would urge everyone receive it so we can return to normal safely. Safely being the key word

Once you take out the top 4 states in the list it doesn't seem like geography has had much to do with it. And with a brother who lives in NY, I'm quite happy that I'm not being ruled by good old Handy Andy.

Oh... those top 4 states for per capita deaths from Covid: New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island

In Kansas we have this guy
Screenshot_20210427-222559_Google.jpeg

My wife and I (both in our late 30s) have taken our first shots of Moderna last week, on Wednesday, around midday. Within few hours, our shoulders got sore. We had gone to bed early that night and woke up quite tired the next morning. On Thursday, after work, still somewhat sore shouldered, I shot an ISSF sport pistol competition (shot one-handed from the non-sore arm). I placed at my usual, mediocre, lower end. By Saturday, we have both recovered and hopped on a plane.
I am writing this report with a piñacolada in my hand and a tropical breeze blowing through the balcony. Tomorrow I shall try a local cigar. I have mentioned this previously, Bundaberg rum sucks; the Caribbean is the place to go for the good stuff.

That is so blatantly a ridiculous and contemptuous a statement that I refuse to respond seriously. But it is also perfectly illustrative of what a sick, negative Alice and Wonderland world into which so many of my fellow citizens have descended. Guess you better arrest the populations of the states of Texas and Florida. At the rate we're going, Biden (or whomever is running the government) will soon likely have that authority.
No worries. Defunding/abolishment of police departments by then will render that impossible. ;)

Damn @Red Leg, I just notice you beat me to it.

I didn't realize that "following the science" it was holiday parties that gave the south herd immunity and why they are having a drop off in cases now. Learn something new on the internet.

On a serious note, I got my second Pfizer shot yesterday. Bit of a sore arm, a little tired, once and a while some minor aches. Went the the gym tonight and seemed to be doing pretty good. My parents got both of theirs (pfizer) and no side effects but a sore arm. My wife got Moderna and was doing great until about 24 hours after the 2nd shot and it was like she was hungover...headache and sensitive to light.

Buttttt I do know 2 people that caught it after their first round of shots (with in the first two weeks). They are both extremely high risk but a week later after testing positive are doing great. So hope this is a good sign for the future.

Interesting findings regarding vaccines vs "natural" immune responses.

Tracking the Evolution of a ‘Variant of Concern’ in Brazil​

Posted on April 27th, 2021 by Dr. Francis Collins

P.1 Variant of SARS-CoV-2 in the center of standard SARS-CoV-2. Arrows move out from the variant

By last October, about three out of every four residents of Manaus, Brazil already had been infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19 [1]. And yet, despite hopes of achieving “herd immunity” in this city of 2.2 million in the Amazon region, the virus came roaring back in late 2020 and early 2021 to cause a second wave of illness and death [2]. How is this possible?

The answer offers a lesson in viral evolution, especially when an infectious virus such as SARS-CoV-2 replicates and spreads through a population largely unchecked. In a recent study in the journal Science, researchers tied the city’s resurgence of SARS-CoV-2 to the emergence and rapid spread of a new SARS-CoV-2 “variant of concern” known as P.1 [3]. This variant carries a unique constellation of mutations that allow it not only to sneak past the human immune system and re-infect people, but also to be about twice as transmissible as earlier variants.

To understand how this is possible, consider that each time the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 makes copies of itself in an infected person, there’s a chance a mistake will be made. Each mistake can produce a new variant that may go on to make more copies of itself. In most cases, those random errors are of little to no consequence. This is evolution in action.

But sometimes a spelling change can occur that benefits the virus. In the special case of patients with suppressed immune systems, the virus can have ample opportunity to accrue an unusually high number of mutations. Variants carrying beneficial mutations can make more copies of themselves than other variants, allowing them to build their numbers and spread to cause more infection.

At this advanced stage of the COVID-19 pandemic, such rapidly spreading new variants remain cause for serious concern. That includes variants such as B.1.351, which originated in South Africa; B.1.1.7 which emerged in the United Kingdom; and now P.1 from Manaus, Brazil.

In the new study, Nuno Faria and Samir Bhatt, Imperial College London, U.K., and Ester Cerdeira Sabino, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil, and their colleagues sequenced SARS-CoV-2 genomes from 184 patient samples collected in Manaus in November and December 2020. The research was conducted under the auspices of the Brazil-UK Centre for Arbovirus Discovery, Diagnosis, Genomics and Epidemiology (CADDE), a project focused on viral genomics and epidemiology for public health.

Those genomic data revealed the P.1 variant had acquired 17 new mutations. Ten were in the spike protein, which is the segment of the virus that binds onto human cells and the target of current COVID-19 vaccines. In fact, the new work reveals that three of these spike protein mutations make it easier for the P.1 spike to bind the human ACE2 receptor, which is SARS-CoV-2’s preferred entry point.

The first P.1 variant case was detected by genomic surveillance on December 6, 2020, after which it spread rapidly. Through further evolutionary analysis, the team estimates that P.1 must have emerged, undetected for a brief time, in mid-November 2020.

To understand better how the P.1 variant led to such an explosion of new COVID-19 cases, the researchers developed a mathematical model that integrated the genomic data with mortality data. The model suggests that P.1 may be 1.7 to 2.4 times more transmissible than earlier variants. They also estimate that a person previously infected with a variant other than P.1 will have only 54 percent to 79 percent protection against a subsequent infection with P.1.

The researchers also observed an increase in mortality following the emergence of the P.1 variant. However, it’s not yet clear if that’s an indication P.1 is inherently more deadly than earlier variants. It’s possible the increased mortality is related primarily to the extra stress on the healthcare system in Manaus from treating so many people with COVID-19.

These findings are yet another reminder of the importance of genomic surveillance and international data sharing for detecting and characterizing emerging SARS-CoV-2 variants quickly. It’s worth noting that at about the same time this variant was detected in Brazil, it also was reported in four individuals who had traveled to Brazil from Japan. The P.1 variant continues to spread rapidly across Brazil. It has also been detected in more than 37 countries [4], including the United States, where it now accounts for more than 1 percent of new cases [5].

No doubt you are wondering what this means for vaccines, such as the Pfizer and Moderna mRNA vaccines, that have been used to immunize (at least one dose) over 140 million people in the United States. Here the news is encouraging. Serum from individuals who received the Pfizer vaccine had titers of neutralizing antibodies that were only slightly reduced for P.1 compared to the original SARS-CoV-2 virus [6]. Therefore, the vaccine is predicted to be highly protective. This is another example of a vaccine providing more protection than a natural infection.

The United States has made truly remarkable progress in combating COVID-19, but we must heed this lesson from Manaus: this terrible pandemic isn’t over just yet. While the P.1 variant remains at low levels here for now, the “U.K. variant” B.1.1.7 continues to spread rapidly and now is the most prevalent variant circulating in the U.S., accounting for 44 percent of new cases [6]. Fortunately, the mRNA vaccines also work well against B.1.1.7.

We must continue to do absolutely everything possible, individually and collectively, to prevent these new SARS-CoV-2 variants from slowing or even canceling the progress made over the last year. We need to remain vigilant for just a while longer, while encouraging our friends, neighbors, and loved ones to get vaccinated.

To all who have received the "vaccine," best of luck to you.
To those who are considering it, please read up on studies the CDC has not disseminated.
Here's one place to start: http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=242248

I'm not looking to debate anyone over this. Just posting some public information so people can make a more informed decision for themselves.

I have to ask. Are you a flaming Liberal?

To all who have received the "vaccine," best of luck to you.
To those who are considering it, please read up on studies the CDC has not disseminated.
Here's one place to start: http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=242248

I'm not looking to debate anyone over this. Just posting some public information so people can make a more informed decision for themselves.
You don't actually expect anyone to take that article seriously, as a source of medical information, right???
Tell me you don't consider something written that poorly and with the language it contains (calling research universities "pieces of crap", etc., etc.) as anything resembling a legitimate source of information.

Please.

If you don't want to take the vaccine, that's cool - you do you. I fully support your right to abstain from taking it if that makes you comfortable.

But please don't think for one second that the link you gave is anything near a "legitimate" source of information on such matters.

"I'm not looking to debate anyone over this"... ummmm, then don't post it. Because by posting it, that's exactly what you're doing - attempting to start a debate by insinuating that those of us who made our own individual informed decision to take the vaccine are somehow ignorant and in need of enlightening by you.
I can assure you nothing is further from the truth.

I am 2 weeks out from 2nd shot of moderna. No side effects for me or my wife and it feels great to be vaccinated! Let’s beat this f—-ing Chinese virus . Please everybody get vaccinated.
By the way ,just got back from 4 months in Florida and I think they did a great job of keeping the state open entirely and allowing people to live their life as they choose. My sister is a 5th grade teacher there and 60 years old. She worked all year in person and never missed a day of work. She is my COVID hero.
Nice job DeSantis!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daneski43

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber