My Covid vaccination experience

chashardy

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
I got my first Covid vaccination on Jan. 15. (I'm 71) Moderna vaccine administered by Dallas Parkland hospital at a drive through location. No issues and I was in and out in about 30 minutes. My second vaccination was on Wednesday Feb. 10. Much longer lines at the drive through location and the wait was about an hour and a half.
Some soreness in my shoulder where she injected the Moderna. I went home, took some Tylenol on the recommendation of a couple of medical professionals. Got up Thursday and went to the office for a couple of hours but by noon I was starting to ache all over. Went home and felt really lousy and had a slight fever. Took Tylenol every 5 hours or so and by 9pm Thursday night I started to feel better. Today I'm back to 100%.
Just a word to the wise, the second injection of vaccine is much more likely to have some side effects, but everyone's experience is a little different and the side effects seem to pass within 24 to 48 hours.

Yes, I have heard this is more likely with the second but it’s good to hear directly from you about it.

Have you had the shingles vaccine? I had the first shot two weeks ago and had a fever for two days.

I got my first Covid vaccination on Jan. 15. (I'm 71) Moderna vaccine administered by Dallas Parkland hospital at a drive through location. No issues and I was in and out in about 30 minutes. My second vaccination was on Wednesday Feb. 10. Much longer lines at the drive through location and the wait was about an hour and a half.
Some soreness in my shoulder where she injected the Moderna. I went home, took some Tylenol on the recommendation of a couple of medical professionals. Got up Thursday and went to the office for a couple of hours but by noon I was starting to ache all over. Went home and felt really lousy and had a slight fever. Took Tylenol every 5 hours or so and by 9pm Thursday night I started to feel better. Today I'm back to 100%.
Just a word to the wise, the second injection of vaccine is much more likely to have some side effects, but everyone's experience is a little different and the side effects seem to pass within 24 to 48 hours.
I had the exact same experience that you did with Moderna

Glad I did it though

Glad to hear you got vaccinated! I know I for sure would like to be able to get back to Africa this year for some safari action!

I thought I would add for some clarity purposes- since I happen to be an otolaryngic (ENT) surgeon and allergist- The many people that are experiencing constitutional symptoms after their second dose of the vaccine is completely normal. It appears that yet again some of the news media is freaking everybody out. Developing a fever, bodyaches, fatigue, headaches and chills after receiving the second dose is normal because your body is ramped up with the new antibodies that have been generated from the previous first dose. This is a typical immune response that should be expected. However – everyone is different and some have no symptoms after the second dose like myself while others are quite sick for a few days.

I know that I just want to be waking up to some African sunrises and drinking sundowners at the sunsets later in the year. Because friends- this virus is never going away. It will be endemic. So it is something we are going to have to learn to live with now until the end of time. There are News articles that are actually That are being released discussing this situation. At some point – life is going to have to go on. The human species is not meant to be locked up like this and not exposed to the mini other bacteria viruses and parasites because of all of this social distancing and mask wearing, etc. there are also discussions about the next flu epidemic been horrific because of the complete lack of influenza this year because of the above measures. It could end up being some type of superbug. And this is all because of the health measures taken this past year for which no one has really been exposed to influenza and thus there is no real built up innate immunity. But I better not get started on that whole topic....

I do hope as many as possible are able to hunt internationally this year because The outfitters as well as the animal some selves sure do need us! And for those that are just going to continue to delay and delay their once in a lifetime safaris – well I hate to be the bearer of bad news – but I really do fear that it’s just “kicking the can down the road” and you’re gonna have to deal with the same problems and headaches of travel then as you would now. But I still do recommend that you get the vaccine first.

Last edited:

I had the exact same experience and received shot number 2 of Moderna on Thursday. I had the now infamous body ache and headaches the second day. I took 2 Tylenol every 4 hours and by mid day Friday felt much better.
My advice is if symptoms arise treat it just like the flu and it should resolve within a day.

Congrats mr. chashardy-my parents are in their 80’s and got their vaccines as well. They called to see if we could have some sort of family Easter party this year. The vaccine offers hope where previously there wasn’t much!

Vaccines are bad especially ones that have been rushed to market. These kind of vaccines (flu,Covid,etc) give your immune system a “head fake” so when an attack by another virus comes along you are more likely to get sick. A Pentagon study proved this.
Nothing will keep me from Africa so if a vaccine is required then I will consult with my dr and decide what to do at that time.
At this time it is bad advice for average folks to get vaccinated for travel. First of all the vaccine is not accepted for travel. Second Covid 19, statistically speaking, is no worse than the flu. (Please don’t start a debate here just read for yourself), and thirdly the cleanest indoor air that you can breath is on a modern airplane. That is right, contrary to popular belief, the HEPA filter cleans all of the air every 2 minutes!
Regards
Philip

I felt a little out of sorts with both, the first being a bit more uncomfortable. We are getting a lot of vaccinations in remote areas of Alaska due to the logistics of getting sick people to health care facilities. I believe there is something like 40 ICU beds in the entire state so our Governor and State Medical Officer are really making a good effort on our behalf. I believe we have the highest per capita percentage of vaccinations in the US.

I have had both Pfizer doses. I am a dentist. Since I work in the spit zone, and have a parent in the 80's (and she went to Africa with us in 2017 at 82) and two in-laws in their mid 70's, I have no desire to share COVID with my loved ones who are more susceptible to COVID issues, even though my four children under 21 stand little to no chance of problems from COVID! They have all been in school since August; one in college at The Citadel in Charleston SC and three still in middle and high school. For those reasons, I chose the vaccine. I have had no more symptoms than a sore injection site on the first dose and mild fever @ 72 hours with the second dose. I plan to fly to RSA in June and believe as Phillip stated the air filtration on the plane is awesome. The science is strongly suggesting that vaccinations will reduce severity of COVID in all recipients!

Yes, I have heard this is more likely with the second but it’s good to hear directly from you about it.

Have you had the shingles vaccine? I had the first shot two weeks ago and had a fever for two days.
No. Have not had the shingles vaccine, tho' my doc has recommended it.

Since we almost certainly aren't going to get to travel internationally without one, I am looking forward to finally getting mine. I suspect a last minute two shot inoculation with three to four weeks between doses might be difficult to arrange. After three decades professionally banging around much of the third world, I have a three page inoculation record including things like Bubonic plague and rabies (the dogs and I feel as one). Can't be much worse than yellow fever or pneumonia vaccines. I am unfamiliar with the "Pentagon" study. Bring on the next one.

Since we almost certainly aren't going to get to travel internationally without one, I am looking forward to finally getting mine. I suspect a last minute two shot inoculation with three to four weeks between doses might be difficult to arrange. After three decades professionally banging around much of the third world, I have a three page inoculation record including things like Bubonic plague and rabies (the dogs and I feel as one). Can't be much worse than yellow fever or pneumonia vaccines. I am unfamiliar with the "Pentagon" study. Bring on the next one.
I agree and I bet that soon we won’t be able to travel internationally without proof of a vaccine. I think that this will eliminate allot of potential hunters this year

Might make for some good deals to be had

I received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine in late January, I'm looking forward to the second shot in ~2weeks.

First dose was just a sensitive shoulder for a day or two. Still haven't received any messages from Bill. I'm hoping for a muted response on the second but will have a supply of liver killing Tylenol and bourbon on hand.

Like Red Leg, I've been stuck with all sorts of nasty things. Tasty Japanese encephalitis. The typhoid one screwed me up the most. Anthrax, which was not FDA recognized to my knowledge at the time, was also interesting. Get stuck, take a few steps and feel like everything below the injection site is burning. Delightful!

I have had both Pfizer doses. I am a dentist. Since I work in the spit zone, and have a parent in the 80's (and she went to Africa with us in 2017 at 82) and two in-laws in their mid 70's, I have no desire to share COVID with my loved ones who are more susceptible to COVID issues, even though my four children under 21 stand little to no chance of problems from COVID! They have all been in school since August; one in college at The Citadel in Charleston SC and three still in middle and high school. For those reasons, I chose the vaccine. I have had no more symptoms than a sore injection site on the first dose and mild fever @ 72 hours with the second dose. I plan to fly to RSA in June and believe as Phillip stated the air filtration on the plane is awesome. The science is strongly suggesting that vaccinations will reduce severity of COVID in all recipient

I'm with you in the aerosol zone fellow dentard!

Agreed. I also got the rabies vaccine and it’s easy compared to the alternative!

I haven’t gotten the vaccine yet. But I did get covid in December and if sucked. I’m back to 100%. A business friend of mine just died from covid yesterday. I will get the vaccine when available.

I remain hopeful my July family Safari will happen. Life without an adventure to plan for is dull.

Have had about everything available due to 22 years in the military and 13 years contracting. And a few just because of continued aging. So far no vaccine to stop it. The most painful was typhoid on several occasions, Anthrax upon entering Iraq in 2004 and the shingles shot two years ago where it seemed that I went through an entire case of the flu on the first night. By 4 in the morning it was over. As soon as I can receive the Covid vaccine I will. For those of you that don't want it, don't get it. I'll take your place in line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg