Let's See Your Pig And Pig Gun

@Foxi
A headshot to warthog?
(y)
Keiler Namibia.jpg

yes,the (unwounded) boar heroically fought off the two dogs,like Cassius Clay, or Klitschko in his day.When he saw us he ran into the hole,which you can see on the left.As is usual with them,butt first.I went in,took my chances and shot him through the skull with a .375 ,round three meters.Maybe five.

I now have some experience with warthogs and believe that our European hogs attack much faster than these.We tracked the hog in a continuous run for a good 15 minutes until it surrendered to the dogs.

The trackers were quite excited because the pig came in the evening on the grill/brai.The Boers there do not eat warthog.They say, you smell ugly than.....?
One of my best hunts ever.
So good as a buff hunt.No joke.
Namibia Keiler.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder what the current drought situation is in the Limpopo Valley? The interest is a bit unexpected. The fact is that it is there that the common crake from Europe winters. This is the main bird for which spaniel tests are made. It is amazing that this "pedestrian" flies so far, while woodcocks and quails fly no further than Western Europe and Turkey. In 2014, the crakes did not arrive - it turned out that due to the drought in Limpopo, they did not overwinter. And now their number is far from what it was.

Here are some pigs I shot while hunting at the Rockin G in Texas. Rifle was @gizmo ’s .270 Win Ruger American.
8425045C-54BB-4A85-9EE7-53F57DCA9FE9.jpeg

BD814E07-D215-4C56-96AF-4DF3E7F5E16C.jpeg

643C1667-95D1-4BFE-ACD8-495D65FE3E74.jpeg

My Namibian Warthog taken at Nick Nolte’s with my 7mm RM Smith & Wesson 1500.
99BE6132-976E-4961-9BBF-90F30203C51A.jpeg

EFC9F986-940F-4DCE-8724-6DB4BDC86E8C.jpeg

Bushpig will be high on the list next time.

I'll start with the end, it's like an obsession with me :) The Mosin and the Nagant are two different rifles, not one. This is a strange mistake that is rooted in the 20s of the last century. Perhaps the reason for the error is that the Russian Military Ministry bought both rifles according to the results of the competition, for reasons that are not entirely clear. Only the Mosin rifle was produced, and the Nagant rifles remained only in one or two museums, only 300 pieces were made. This is clearly visible in the pictures. By the way, the butt of both rifles comes from the American Berdan rifle, it was in service with the Russian army for 20 years before the Mosin rifle.
mosin.jpg
nagant.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
in Hungary a few years ago with my Mannlicher Schonauer stutzen.

A8618343-78D7-4F60-99F9-18DA18CC3149.jpeg

My 404 Jeffery has been my main pig gun for quite some time.
Aimpoint Micro H1 and a 400gr bullet of choice. Never takes much looking to find a shot pig.

Sorry, not the greatest bushpig photo, but the only one where the gun shows.

Vlakvark - Tulbach.JPG
Bosvark 404.jpg

If we would spare the sow to keep their value, the farmers lynch us.
Leading sows are generally spared,at least they should be.
...: those were dark times,that understands here in G.- fortunately - not a single person more.
A wonderful Moisin Nagant you lead there with interesting optics.Glad I am that it can not tell what it experienced everything at that
Foxy, about the war - it's just a figure of speech, a time marker. Unfortunately, people are constantly at war, it is difficult to find two nations that once did not fight. For example, my father, then a boy, saw the guys from the American 339th regiment (this I looked at in the Wiki) in his village, so what? That was over a hundred years ago. By the way, there were also some soldiers in skirts. The peasants there, conservative people, were slightly shocked.
But now, I took a picture on the last hunt, ready to go weapons-three rifles and all three - German. This is more important.
IMG-20201107-WA0052.jpg

As for feral pigs and restrictions: In Europe, the further to the east (and not just to the north), the conditions for life deteriorate, especially in winter. Less sun, less plant productivity, stronger cold, deeper snow cover. Here I found a map of the boar population density only for Poland - the border of the stable winter snow cover is clearly visible.
Польша_3.jpg

Therefore, in Central Russia, wild boars are also an invasive species. Wild boar spread in the 20th century from the west and south, because agriculture was stimulated here, and there were a lot of potatoes, vegetables, and grain left in the fields. Now many fields are not sown, they are unproductive, there is no point. Therefore, in some places, the wild boar is a protected species. In addition, a few years ago we had African swine fever - a terrible thing, whole herds were dying, and the number of wild boar fell. There was no boar hunting for two or three years. In countries with a warm climate - another thing, I'm looking at pork Eldorado in Australia. Das ist fantastisch. Guys need to seriously engage with these cute piglets, if they multiply, they will eat both kangaroos and rabbits. And kookaburra, too.
And bonus - Mosin bolt and Nagant bolt
mosin-2.jpg
nagant2.jpg

These two little screws at the bottom were the whole thing. Our generals, on sober reflection, realized that such a design is not suitable for military weapons.

Last edited:
984.JPG

My first pig. We were tracking buffalo when we topped a small ridge and a group of pigs were making there way along the bottom. The P.H. excitedly said, bushpig! Shoot the last one! So I did. At the time I didn't even know I wanted one, but later I found out what a rare trophy to obtain especially in daylight. I will take lucky in Africa any day. Took me 4 safaris to get a warthog. Just backwards I guess.

Got caught in the Net. This is the ancestor of modern wild boars. It was a hoofed predator, weighing up to a ton. That's where those fangs come from. But then the cats came on the scene, all these smilodons, etc., and the boars went to another ecological niche.
fa6e5c5f-aa2d-47ac-95bf-17bc709b9147.jpeg

When I started hunting, there was a tragedy in our hunting society: a wounded boar killed a hunter, opened his thigh. And they didn't take him to the hospital. These are still serious animals.

ist pig was a nice meat pig.gun is a s&w 44 mag,trail boss,2nd pig was a big sow my wife took with her scope sighted contender in 35 rem.a lot more have fallen to each of us but these two will do.

mypictures127.jpg
mypictures126.jpg

In 2002 ...The Chief of Staff called me to his office and asked me to attend the biannual Russian/American General officer conference ... I speak ... not one word of Russian, We had a grand ten days disagreeing about almost every geo-political issue.

it seemed different to me at the time, that it was a kind of honeymoon. In 2002, I was going to go to Kosovo, and for the English exam I was translating a monograph on the Taliban written by a Pakistani (I asked for such a book in the library, so that the language was simpler). And on the basis of this and various other information, I was against the Afghan operation and any of our participation in it. Although no one asked my opinion, of course.
I remember that year more because I then started using a rifle with optics. It's hard to believe now, but before that, our amateur hunters used almost exclusively shotguns, rifles were an exceptional rarity. Well, I "filled the bumps", that is, I made a few mistakes.
I don't know why, but hunting failures are better remembered than success. The captured boar was eaten and forgotten, and the unsuccessful shot you remember how it was yesterday. I then bought a 9.3x64 carbine,a rare design, there are only 105 pieces produced in total. I put an old Leupold 3-9x50, still Glossy, on a high bracket, went to the shooting range, everything seems to be fine. And here is the first time with this rifle on a roundup hunt for a wild boar. This hunt is called "chasing devils" - young boars run like crazy and are very inventive, there are few chances to shoot at those standing or walking slowly.
And in the first round - the voices of the beaters are getting closer, and suddenly a black boar jumps out of the forest, and, half in the snow, rushes through the clearing to my right. I catch it in the scope and realize that it is not easy even at a multiplicity of 3. Even at the moment of the shot, I realize that I missed. And I can't get the boar back into the scope, and when I took aim, I was afraid I'd shoot along the line. That's the worst thing about hunting. The boar is gone. When hunting from blind on the second day, at dusk, such a sight was also of little use – I saw the silhouettes of wild boars in the snow, but I could not see the aiming mark well. Fortunately, my partner had a night sight, and we implemented the license.
Next weekend I already took the Mauser 98K. Not the same as Peter Larssen has – I left a military-style butt. For two or three years I hunted with him, but then a rule was introduced – it is mandatory to discharge the magazine when moving. The rule is generally correct, but very inconvenient, cartridges when discharged fall anywhere, and in the deep snow, and they are expensive. In addition, it is difficult to put optics on a military-style Mauser, and I shot with an iron sight. Not that it's uncomfortable but unusual. AKM and the Mosin rear sight looks different. In the end, for boar hunting, I bought a semi-automatic Vepr (Boar)-308, a distant descendant of the Kalashnikov light machine gun, and put a Nikon Monarch 1-4x32 with a backlight on it. It turned out to be the best combination. He (or she?) had 10-pieces magazines, but soon a new rule appeared: on group hunts, no more than 5-p magazines, so I had to buy two. The purpose of this restriction is security. Indeed, it happens that when shooting at a herd of wild boars, they get carried away, you lead the barrel – and shoot along the line. In 1980, on one of my first hunts, I even bandaged a wounded hunter. There was just such a situation, shots fired at a herd of wild boars along the line. The bullet ricocheted off the frozen ground. The situation also had comical features – the wounded hunter himself also shot along the line, just he had less firepower. And, as they say in the ads, "not a single animal was injured" - both missed. More precisely, they missed the boars.
Now, remembering, I realize that it is boar hunts that are the most intense in terms of impressions. At least I don't have anything to compare it to, and I haven't been to Africa.
And I never went to Kosovo. I was prematurely awarded the next military rank, and I no longer fit the criteria. Actually, such an assignment is a kind of award, like the title of Hero of the Soviet Union posthumously, but I did not perform any feats. Many years later, I found out what was wrong: my boss did not want to let me go, and he had good friends in the personnel department, and they solved the issue in this way. It's a pity, I would have hunted there, I guess.
In general, RedLeg, if you go to Kamchatka via Moscow, we could cross paths, and have something to drink and eat.
And I will write about vodka in the corresponding section of our forum.

I apologize for typos and errors, especially from the esteemed Peter Larsson. English is not my native language. Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to correct the post.

I apologize for typos and errors, especially from the esteemed Peter Larsson. English is not my native language. Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to correct the post.
No worries, we get the idea pretty well. Your English is a damned sight better than most of us speak Russian

Croatia View attachment 384629190 kgs; Blaser R93 7mmRM, heart shot on the run - never be able to repeat that one.
Tony, was it a death slide or a head over heels tumble ? I had one do a head over heels in Romania. It gave me the greatest pleasure.
btw, 190 kgs of boar is massive, well done and difficult to repeat but you got to keep on trying.

Alas, in my backyard there are not wild boars, but a 12-million megacity. Although, by the way, it happens that moose and wild boar wander through the system of forest parks.
In general, Russia is not a hunting paradise. All species are at the limit of survival here due to the cold and deep snow in winter, so, for example, the European deer without feeding is found only in Poland,and to the east it is not.
Therefore, the main hunting for wild boar is from towers on feeding grounds, in a properly organized hunting farm (but wild boars are wild there, there are no fences). The license for this piglet cost about $ 200, and the main task was not to shoot someone adult. Moreover, in some places you can not shoot sows at all, because of their value for reproduction, and it is risky to buy a license for an adult cleaver (about 500$). A good trophy is unlikely, but its meat in the hunting season can have a very unpleasant smell. Once our team got such a boar with its men's perfume, and one of our friends with meat in a backpack made part of the way in the subway, and he was alone in his half of a crowded car. We ate the meat then, in my opinion, but with serious culinary tricks. Those of us who didn't have dogs, of course.

The rifle is a well-deserved Mosin of 1942, war time, made when the Germans were still standing near Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad, so the exterior finish is quite simple, although everything is OK inside. View attachment 384143
Night sight - army, universal, also ancient, like the shit of a mammoth. But it works and can be used as a club when needed.
Thank you for your contribution. It is fascinating to me to learn about other hunters in different parts of the world. Please continue to participate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg