Judging Nyala

I'd say find out after you get him, he's a great trophy!
 
@Josh Neal ,

Wow, great looking bull! No idea on measurement but who cares, its a hog!
 
Last edited:
This Nyala bull is an excellent reason to go back. I would say 30"-31".
The bell shape is similar to the one 28" attached below, but the tips are flared significantly more.

Nyala-01.jpg
 
I passed on dozens of trophy size Nyala on a 10 hunt in Mozambique October 2017 before I finally settle of this 30 1/2" bull. ZDS had tremendous numbers of big bulls. Saw many shooters every day.
Nyala 3.jpg
 
I have heard that there are some exceptional nyala in Mozambique! It's free range too!
 
I passed on dozens of trophy size Nyala on a 10 hunt in Mozambique October 2017 before I finally settle of this 30 1/2" bull. ZDS had tremendous numbers of big bulls. Saw many shooters every day.View attachment 226634
Just got the official SCI Score, he came in at 75 2/8".
 
Same property in Zululand, taken two weeks apart. First bull, 28.25" with a very nice bell shape and the second came in on 27.75", the wide horns can be quite misleading.

20180615_234714.jpg


20180630_203227.jpg
 
I took this nyala in Mpumalanga, near to the border with Limpopo. The trophy is 28 1/2 inches

SAM_0627.JPG
SAM_0628.JPG
DSCN3832.JPG
DSCN3914.JPG
DSCN3911.JPG
DSCN3916.JPG
DSCN3918.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard that there are some exceptional nyala in Mozambique! It's free range too!
Yes at ZDS no fences there. I seen several shooter Nyala every day but held out for this 30-1/2" one. I passed on 4 or 5 that were in the 29" range. I primarily went to Mozambique to hunt buffalo where I did take 2, but I enjoyed hunting Nyala in the sand Forrest more. I would go back to ZDS just for the free ranging plains game. Amazing place.
 
Yes at ZDS no fences there. I seen several shooter Nyala every day but held out for this 30-1/2" one. I passed on 4 or 5 that were in the 29" range. I primarily went to Mozambique to hunt buffalo where I did take 2, but I enjoyed hunting Nyala in the sand Forrest more. I would go back to ZDS just for the free ranging plains game. Amazing place.
I can also recommend ZDS, just back from 11 days there and it's just an amazing place to hunt, I took buffalo, a fantastic Nyala and great warthog.
We were over the full moon, so Nyala were a little slow apparently, probably seen 15 over 27 28, inch and took a wonderful one around 30.
 
Question on this one: the horns don’t flair out, but it has the physical characteristics I would expect of a mature lowland nyala. Is it young and immature or does it have a freak set of horns?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0555.jpeg
    IMG_0555.jpeg
    572.8 KB · Views: 14
Question on this one: the horns don’t flair out, but it has the physical characteristics I would expect of a mature lowland nyala. Is it young and immature or does it have a freak set of horns?
I would say just "unique" horns

He is not Immature
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,313
Messages
1,572,582
Members
169,588
Latest member
mijefpowin1987
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top