John Ross in St. Louis, MO

John Ross

Reaction score
Some of you may have heard of me, either from my novel of the gun culture, Unintended Consequences, or my development work with the S&W 500 Magnum, which culminated in the S&W Performance Center producing a limited run of 500 guns, built to my specs and with my initials as the serial number prefix, in 2006.

What fewer people know about me is that I have been shooting African rifles since I got my first .458 in 1971, and building big bore rifles since I put together my first (of four) .50 BMG shoulder rifles in 1976.

By way of introduction, here is a video I put together, not seen before by the general public, of some video taken in 1983 of me killing two elephant and two Cape Buffalo in Zimbabwe with my full-weight Rodda 4-Bore double rifle, regulated for 16 dram loads. I am unaware of any other such footage in existence. Readers of UC will notice that I used some of my experiences from this safari as plotline elements in the book.

Watch the 4-bore video either on YouTube or Facebook, as you see fit. Skip to about 11:30 if you don't want to hear me expound on the realities of trophy hunting, and get right to the action. BTW my FB settings are all public; anyone can see anything I post there.

JR

Welcome to AH Mr Ross! I will take a look at your Facebook page! Thanks for joining this forum.

By the way I’m over in the Kansas City area!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome and thanks for posting. Interesting videos.

Welcome to AH

Welcome to our place John. Your experiences will add to the knowledge pool that is the backbone of the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH John! Glad you found us and looking forward to you sharing your experience with all of us.

Hi John, welcome to AH !

Welcome aboard John. BTW I flat loved your book. I haven't read anything that captivated my attention that much since reading Zane Grey's books when I was a kid!!

Welcome to AH John! Looking forward to more of your input.

Welcome to AH! Having watched the video, I think I'll pass on pulling the trigger on a 4-bore... :A Stars:

Welcome— but I’m with Phil on shooting your cannon— think Im developing a twitch just watching video LOL

Howdy!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH John! Nice to have you as part of our community. Enjoy the site!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH John Ross! Nice to have you on the posting side, looking forward to reading your posts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VolkFra

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.