I Finally did it

Welcome
Have you ever been to a SCI convention? If not, you are in for the time of your life. Plan on attending all 4 days even though Sunday is really only a half of a day. Feel free to reach out to us for recommendations. You may want to set up some appointments with Safari operator’s before you get to convention.
Don

Welcome aboard SGW. Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. Things like what have you hunted in the past, what rifles other than your 375 H&H do you own, do you reload? BTW where do you live?
Hello Shootist,

My dad took me on my very first hunt, I would guess around 7 years old for squirrels. From there I moved up to rabbit, then hog, and lastly whitetail. I’m probably your average Texas hunter, nothing special to highlight. I do have many guns that I love to shoot and collect. I have more handguns than rifles by far. Rifles consist of 22lr, 5.56, 30-30, 300wm, 308, and 7mm-08. I have all the reloading gear but I don’t spend much time reloading at all. My passion has been saltwater fishing inshore mostly for speckled trout the majority of my life. I’ve spent alot of time day dreaming about hunting Africa, mostly for Cape buffalo and Kudu. I’ve been to Ghana, Angola, Senegal, and Egypt for work regarding Africa. My next trip to Africa will be for Hunting.

Thanks for asking. Have a great evening!

Last edited:
Welcome
Have you ever been to a SCI convention? If not, you are in for the time of your life. Plan on attending all 4 days even though Sunday is really only a half of a day. Feel free to reach out to us for recommendations. You may want to set up some appointments with Safari operator’s before you get to convention.
Don
Hello Don,

I have not attended the SCI convention. I will research the next convention and try to attend if work allows.

Thanks for the comment! Have a good evening!

Welcome SGW
Since you are from Texas the Dallas Safari Club convention (January 5 to 8, 2023) might be a better (closer) option. We (DE KLERK SAFARIS) have booths at both conventions (DSC as well as SCI) but to be honest with you, we just love the Texan hospitality we receive from DSC.

Regarding your (and another hunter's) question about scopes for the 375 I will tell you what I did with my 375 (Winchester Model 70). I got some quick detachable mounts made by Talley and I have a 1-6 power Swarovsky scope on the rifle.
That way you can shoot dangerous game at 1 or 2 power and plains game using 4 to 6 power (which is more than adequate for up to 200 yards). You can also take the scope completely off in just a minute (no tools required) if you are entering thick forest or tall reeds following a wounded animal and just use the rifle with it's open iron sights.
The scope comes back to zero perfectly no matter how many times you take it off or put it back on.

If you are going to use the 375 for plains game then you can experiment with lighter bullets, but if you are going for buffalo I will just stick with the 300 grains and use the same load for plains game.
I have seen many hunters bringing different loads to Africa and they shoot at different point of impact at 100 yards and then they get confused as to which bullet is now in the rifle and where does that bullet shoot. So keep it simple - test many different bullets and once you determined what your rifle likes just stick to that load.

Other advice I can give you, is to load all your ammo through the magazine to make sure they fit in the magazine.
Just had a group of hunters here from Idaho who came with two 375 rifles. One guy hand loaded the ammo but when we were at the lodge's shooting range they realise the bullets are too long to fit inside their magazines (on both rifles). That reduced two fine 375 rifles to single shot rifles.
Luckily I had plenty 375 factory ammo in stock so the clients just used my ammo.

Anyhow welcome to the forum and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

:S Welcome:

, welcome to the site.
I will be in Dallas as well, and would love to meet you. In the meantime no harm in chatting
Please feel free to email me info@spearsafaris.com
Cheers
Ernest

I finally joined Africa Hunting. I will be honest, I’m not a social media guy (kudu of the web). I’ve been reading forums on this website for years. I’ve been to many countries in Africa but only for work. I’ve always wanted to hunt Africa after reading Hemingway as a kid. In the next year or so I plan to hunt Cape Buffalo somewhere. I will attend the DSC convention Jan 2023. I recently purchased a NIB Model 70 375 h&h (Portugal) and 60 rounds of Federal 300 TBBC to begin practice. I have yet to buy a scope but with all the info in the forum I’m sure blessed with plenty of knowledge from the Africa Hunting community. Would like to thank everyone on this website that has contributed to the forums and shared the knowledge.

Welcome to AH!

Howdy from Texas. Where ya located?

Welcome SGW
Since you are from Texas the Dallas Safari Club convention (January 5 to 8, 2023) might be a better (closer) option. We (DE KLERK SAFARIS) have booths at both conventions (DSC as well as SCI) but to be honest with you, we just love the Texan hospitality we receive from DSC.

Regarding your (and another hunter's) question about scopes for the 375 I will tell you what I did with my 375 (Winchester Model 70). I got some quick detachable mounts made by Talley and I have a 1-6 power Swarovsky scope on the rifle.
That way you can shoot dangerous game at 1 or 2 power and plains game using 4 to 6 power (which is more than adequate for up to 200 yards). You can also take the scope completely off in just a minute (no tools required) if you are entering thick forest or tall reeds following a wounded animal and just use the rifle with it's open iron sights.
The scope comes back to zero perfectly no matter how many times you take it off or put it back on.

If you are going to use the 375 for plains game then you can experiment with lighter bullets, but if you are going for buffalo I will just stick with the 300 grains and use the same load for plains game.
I have seen many hunters bringing different loads to Africa and they shoot at different point of impact at 100 yards and then they get confused as to which bullet is now in the rifle and where does that bullet shoot. So keep it simple - test many different bullets and once you determined what your rifle likes just stick to that load.

Other advice I can give you, is to load all your ammo through the magazine to make sure they fit in the magazine.
Just had a group of hunters here from Idaho who came with two 375 rifles. One guy hand loaded the ammo but when we were at the lodge's shooting range they realise the bullets are too long to fit inside their magazines (on both rifles). That reduced two fine 375 rifles to single shot rifles.
Luckily I had plenty 375 factory ammo in stock so the clients just used my ammo.

Anyhow welcome to the forum and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk
Hello Hans,

I’ve went with the swaro z8i 1-8x24 4a-if. Found a good deal and could not pass it up. Thanks for recommending the detachable Talley mounts. I was thinking about getting the medium fixed mounts but the detachable mounts sound more appealing. I will be testing and practicing a lot before the hunt.

Thanks for the comment!

Just east of you around Lake Houston. Hit me up if you ever wanna grab a beer or something and talk safari. I’ve done a few.

:S Welcome: Those TBBC are great buffalo medicine, shot mine with one.

I finally joined Africa Hunting. I will be honest, I’m not a social media guy (kudu of the web). I’ve been reading forums on this website for years. I’ve been to many countries in Africa but only for work. I’ve always wanted to hunt Africa after reading Hemingway as a kid. In the next year or so I plan to hunt Cape Buffalo somewhere. I will attend the DSC convention Jan 2023. I recently purchased a NIB Model 70 375 h&h (Portugal) and 60 rounds of Federal 300 TBBC to begin practice. I have yet to buy a scope but with all the info in the forum I’m sure blessed with plenty of knowledge from the Africa Hunting community. Would like to thank everyone on this website that has contributed to the forums and shared the knowledge.
Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH! Nice to have you on the site, let us know if you need any assistance with rifle import permits, we would be glad to assist you with that.

Welcome to AH! Glad to have you on board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.