HUNTING Buffalo

Let me re-phrase what I said in another post. I think for an experienced shooter, I think the frontal shot is fine, especially if no brush is in the way. I think we all know what an "experienced shooter" means. I honestly think there are fewer and fewer of them out there now. Obviously it's a deadly shot, especially with a big bore gun. I think the shot is easy at close range.

Your are right enysse regarding caliber and also Velo dog, the frontal shot on your buffalo was done correctly from your side, with the only reason that you was near to the target, and you can shoot your rifle well. If the bullet from a 375 for example will impact 2-3 inch left or right from the middle of the chest it's possibility that it will change direction if it hit the side of the rib cage, this is heavy bones as you know and with the form of the rib cage the bullet simply not penetrate but fallowing the ribs. I know many buffalo's that have take off with a broken shoulder but not any damage on the vital organs. Its very easy from a exited hunter to miss this small target from a shooting stick at 100 meter !! And a broken shoulder buffalo will not stop for a long time as long the lungs is not damaged.

Best wishes, Gordon

Let me re-phrase what I said in another post. I think for an experienced shooter, I think the frontal shot is fine, especially if no brush is in the way. I think we all know what an "experienced shooter" means. I honestly think there are fewer and fewer of them out there now. Obviously it's a deadly shot, especially with a big bore gun. I think the shot is easy at close range.

I agree that if brush is in the way, no matter what the angle of the animal is- the shot is very risky at best and foolishness at worst.
Experiments have shown than even calibers like the .577 NE can be badly deflected by seemingly thin twigs or cause the bullet to strike your target sideways, base first, etc.

Your are right enysse regarding caliber and also Velo dog, the frontal shot on your buffalo was done correctly from your side, with the only reason that you was near to the target, and you can shoot your rifle well. If the bullet from a 375 for example will impact 2-3 inch left or right from the middle of the chest it's possibility that it will change direction if it hit the side of the rib cage, this is heavy bones as you know and with the form of the rib cage the bullet simply not penetrate but fallowing the ribs. I know many buffalo's that have take off with a broken shoulder but not any damage on the vital organs. Its very easy from a exited hunter to miss this small target from a shooting stick at 100 meter !! And a broken shoulder buffalo will not stop for a long time as long the lungs is not damaged.

Best wishes, Gordon

Thanks for that Gordon,

I know that the .375 H&H is considered the minimum caliber for buffalo in most African countries and I totally agree with that line of reasoning, underline the word minimum.
If I was in a position where I could actually afford to hunt them regularly, my personal minimum would be .40 caliber .. such as the .404, the .416 and larger bores of course.
That is just my opinion, regarding my way of doing things, it is not meant to be the Gospel for other hunters.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I used Hornady DGX and DGS 416 Ruger 400 gr and shot my buff at point number 4 on the provided chart at about 60 yards. He started bucking like a rodeo bronking bull before running off into the brush. The round traveled through the animals mid section stopping about three inches below the sternum and a couple inches below the skin. I nicked his heart and hit one lung. He was spraying blood as he ran away. Anyway it took a couple of follow up shots to kill him but I would say tracking him was very easy because of the amount of blood he was blowing through his nose.

CAustin as you know there are a number of major blood vessels around the heart, if you hit a major one, it's a super lethal and short death.

I used Hornady DGX and DGS 416 Ruger 400 gr and shot my buff at point number 4 on the provided chart at about 60 yards. He started bucking like a rodeo bronking bull before running off into the brush. The round traveled through the animals mid section stopping about three inches below the sternum and a couple inches below the skin. I nicked his heart and hit one lung. He was spraying blood as he ran away. Anyway it took a couple of follow up shots to kill him but I would say tracking him was very easy because of the amount of blood he was blowing through his nose.

CAustin,

By reputation, the various .416s are big medicine for buffalo, plus for any heavy game and has been since 1911, or 19-whatever before WW-I, when Rigby introduced the original (with steel jacketed / lead core bullets by the way).

A PH once told me that when a buffalo bucks repeatedly like a rodeo bronc, his heart has more than likely been struck.

I salute you for straight shooting as well as for choosing a proper caliber for heavy/thick skinned game.

There are those who believe that jacketed / lead core bullets will pretty much bounce off any animal larger than a half starved gopher, especially the DGX bullet.

I had good results regarding the two animals I shot with the DGX (zebra and buffalo) however, I suspect they have upper velocity limits.

At the speed I used them, they worked like gang busters but if I was into all these Weatherby, Ultra-Magnums and Lazzeroni cartridges, etc, I would probably not use them.

Meanwhile, I plan to still use them if they prove to be the most accurate one in whatever rifle I am working up loads for again.

Best regards,
Velo Dog.

Velo Dog the PH knew what he was talking about for sure. Keep us all posted about your next hunt and what you end up using!

agreed with Jan, nothing wrong with a shot, Especially if the hunter has done allot of EXTENSIVE research on vitals, and body proportions on Buff.

With this being said i will go as far as to say that 65+% of all wounded buff are frontal shots. at least in my limited 70 - 80 conducted (guided) trophy buff safari experienc, at 35 or 40 the shot is a sitter,at 70 its a game changer.

Nothing wrong with a frontal but its not the shot for everyone.......(client)
We always need to remember on a broad side or 1/4 toward angle bullets go through both lungs 95% of the time,.........your margin for error, and shooter proficiency and quarry knowledge truly comes into play on a frontal.

Miss only one lung but destroy the other and the entire spleen and youll be tracking for hours possibly days, and quickly find yourself pondering your motivations for wanting to hunt buff as soon as you enter the first thicket.

When i conduct such safaris i 1. First consider my clients proficiency level, 2.Try to swing as much advantage in our favour as I possibly can, I habe bumped many many bulls in search of a better shot angle, continued tracking, found something better or the angle We were searching for.

Once agsin just my way of approaching it

Last edited:
Velo Dog the PH knew what he was talking about for sure. Keep us all posted about your next hunt and what you end up using!

Hi again CAustin,

I totally agree with you that the PH knew what he was talking about (most of those Africa PH types are The NFL of Hunting Guides if you ask me).

For sure I will keep you posted as to what hunt I end up on next but, I just had knee surgery and so, it does not look good for me in 2015.

Previously, I had been looking at doing a tuskless elephant but lately, I do not believe I can walk 15 or 20 miles a day (never mind that I am 61 now).

So, I am looking at 2016.

If my knee is back to 100% by then, I will shop for a good deal on olifant.

However, if said knee still is contrary, I will shop for a hippo on land hunt.

Those usually do not require more than a very few miles a day, at the most (usually).

On the "keep us posted subject", for you also amigo, please keep us posted on your next hunt and what you end up using as well.

Parting Shot
If you ever get up to Anchorage, please look me up.
I will skid sideways into the airport and we can do breakfast, lunch or supper, depending on your scedule.

My best regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you velodrome I would do that. Hope to do a bear hunt up there some say!

Thank you velodrome I would do that. Hope to do a bear hunt up there some say!

Hi again CAustin,

Rogerthat, and now is the time to hunt bear up here (also wolf, lynx, fox, coyote, wolverine, etc).

Prey specie numbers are way down in Alaska now and predator numbers are way up.

It seems like there are even more owls and eagles around here lately.

It cannot stay like this forever.

Eventually, the predators will begin to starve out.

To say that I know a very reputable Bear Guide would be an understatement.

My friend, Wayne Kubat is actually the best of the best (His wife Marilyn is also an exceptionally good natured person who is Wayne's soul mate for sure).

Refer to their web site www.alaskaremote.com or, phone 907-376-9568.

If you contact the Kubats, please tell them Paul Ard sent you.

If you don't book with him, at least have a look at Wayne's equipment list for hunting in Alaska before you hunt up here or in Northern Canada, either one.

His is about the best I have seen (admittedly better than my own well seasoned list).

Anywhooo, there are so many bears in Wayne's 600 or more sq mile concession that, even non-residents are allowed TWO grizzly per year and currently there is no close season.

I have lived in Alaska 32 years and until now, I have never seen any big game season open year 'round.

Adios for now,
Velo Dog (Paul Ard)

Last edited:
full

There is so much crap out there about bullet placement and kinds of bullets to use that I'm glad to see this post because it helps clear things up. Hell, y'all even got pictures.

There is so much crap out there about bullet placement and kinds of bullets to use that I'm glad to see this post because it helps clear things up. Hell, y'all even got pictures.
that's how we roll! on the bullet selection, use a swift A-Frame followed by solids of your choice.

Seems like the buffalo in that picture is a little green yet.
that buffalo is hard bossed and wide...its a shooter for sure! only thing green in that picture is the grass!

Buffalo Front View Shot Placement

Hunting Buffalo Front View Shot Placement

Post your questions, comments or pictures relating to hunting shot placement.

Hunting Buffalo
buffalo_shot_placement_1.jpg

Hunting Buffalo
buffalo_perfect_shot_1.jpg
I shot my buffalo right on the dot on the picture above in his chest. He turned and walked off going about 15 yards or so and fell to the ground never to get up.
Cape Buffalo Bull.JPG

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois