HUNTING Buffalo

This buff was shot with a 404 Jeffery at an estimated 70 yards with two 400 grain Swift A Frames... both shots mid shoulder and about 2" apart. Traveled about 20 yards and collapsed. Both shoulders were shattered and the bullet recovered in the marrow pocket in the upper leg bone. Did not recover the other bullet.

Buff one shot placement.jpg
Buff 1 SAF.jpg

Buff1-1.jpg

Broadside straight up the front leg 1/3 to 1/2 way up the depth of the body is the sweet spot for everything...
Quartering to you need to take the angle into consideration....
Quartering away should never ever be taken on the left side òf the buffalo....right side slightly quartering away is ok.
Broadside is best...
I would not allow a full frontal if I was not confident in the shooters abilities.....

Broadside straight up the front leg 1/3 to 1/2 way up the depth of the body is the sweet spot for everything...
Quartering away should never ever be taken on the left side òf the buffalo....right side slightly quartering away is ok.
Broadside is best...
I would not allow a full frontal if I was not confident in the shooters abilities.....
Is the intent on the full frontal to take the top of the heart or the spine? I would think getting both lungs to be unlikely, especially with minimum allowed caliber (9.3/375 class).

Is the intent on the full frontal to take the top of the heart or the spine? I would think getting both lungs to be unlikely, especially with minimum allowed caliber (9.3/375 class).
Very high risk shot with a 9.3 or 375. 40 and up is much better. Premium expanding bullet....
You want to be exactly centre and actual take out the plumbing above the hart. The main reason is to provide a certain margin of error.
If you aim low for the hart and the shot goes low you inflict no fatal damage as the bullet will be in the brisket....you will most likely not find your buff but you will pay....
Aiming just above the hart will cover you for high and low, low will hit the hart and high will hit the neck vertabrae as it dips down quite low.

Last edited:
Too far left or right and you are in trouble.....

Well remember a single dagga boy we tracked into some thick stuff, came slowly walking broadside...left to right...close...shot did not come....bull stopped turned facing us...full frontal...shot went left, entered ahead of the shoulder, exited behind the shoulder blade, cut the skin again and entered well back....
Was a hard tracking job, as the little bit of blood we found soon stopped.
For reasons I did not agree with at the time our group split up. Me and my tracker staying on the track. The charge came from not far off not aimed at us(charging the other split off)and as I followed through I got a shot in a small clearing. My bullet a 500gr Rhino hit where I was aiming, the dip of the neck as it joins the point of the shoulder and that switched off the water and lights instantly and it looked like the bull had hit a cable as his outstreched nose kept going forward and his legs all four went back under him. He skidded for about 8 steps before stopping....dead before he hit the ground.
Not a pleasant situation to be in but things do go wrong....
First shot was a premium grade 380gr bullet from a 375 H&H..more than adequite but not placed correctly...

Broadside is best...
Hello IvW!!
Why we should avoid the left side quartering away shot?
What is the difference with the right side?

Hello IvW!!
Why we should avoid the left side quartering away shot?
What is the difference with the right side?
The rumen is on the left side....you hit that your bullet aint going nowhere...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!