Hello from NC

Welcome to AH!

:S Welcome:

Welcome welcome welcome

Weclome to AH jpr9954!

Welcome to AH.

Welcome aboard jpr9954. Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. Things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles you own, do you reload. What are you thinking about hunting in Africa? Are you thinking about going by yourself or with friends and or family?

Welcome, Fellow Tar Heel!

Welcome aboard jpr9954. Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. Things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles you own, do you reload. What are you thinking about hunting in Africa? Are you thinking about going by yourself or with friends and or family?
Well, since you asked so nicely :) , the only big game that I've hunted in the past is whitetail deer.

Caliber rifles? I have everything from a .22 LR up to a .308 Norma Magnum. I have collected Curios and Relic military rifles for over 20 years so have lots of Swedish/South American Mausers, Swiss K-31, and US rifles. About the most unusual caliber rifle I have is a .256 Newton that came from P.O. Ackley's shop. Reloading, thus, is mandatory.

As to hunting in Africa, plains game is what I have my eye on especially gemsbok or oryx. I hope to talk my brother-in-law into going who is my age (63 going on 64). He's a captain with Delta and will be retired (forcibly) in Dec. 2022 when he hits 65. I'm thinking of either going in 2022 or in 2023. I have another younger friend who is interested as well. I'm looking at the Eastern Cape for my first trip given its variety of terrain and game animals.

What I forgot to add is that I'm also a gun blogger and have been doing it for the last 11 years. I stir up trouble every now and then. ;-)

Welcome to Africa Hunting!! I've spent a good amount of my adult life in North Carolina, you're going to love it here, great group of people and an absolute wealth of knowledge!

Jpr9954, we have a number of things in common. First off being my favorite the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser, and a 308 Norma Mag. I too have a number of WW I rifles Springfield(s) and Enfield(s.) Hunting Africa is an absolute "blast." I took both of my sons on my first trip which was a retirement gift to myself. After joining AH I quickly realized that I "needed" bigger and bigger rifles. I'm all but positive it will be the same for you. We have differences of opinion expressed on AH but remember that it must be done without castigating the individual. Mutual respect is the order of the day. Bantering over the efficacy of one caliber vs another or your favorite vs someone else's has been fair game. It is a blonds vs brunettes thing.

Jpr9954, we have a number of things in common. First off being my favorite the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser, and a 308 Norma Mag. I too have a number of WW I rifles Springfield(s) and Enfield(s.) Hunting Africa is an absolute "blast." I took both of my sons on my first trip which was a retirement gift to myself. After joining AH I quickly realized that I "needed" bigger and bigger rifles. I'm all but positive it will be the same for you. We have differences of opinion expressed on AH but remember that it must be done without castigating the individual. Mutual respect is the order of the day. Bantering over the efficacy of one caliber vs another or your favorite vs someone else's has been fair game. It is a blonds vs brunettes thing.

I understand the "need" for bigger and bigger rifles. That's why I have a set of .375 H&H reloading dies even though I don't have the rifle. One day!

I'm also thinking of having a Savage 111 .30-06 rebored to .338-06. I was going to rebarrel it to .257 Roberts but then Africa....

Just for giggles, have you ever taken a good look at the ballistics for a properly loaded 35 Whelen? They are awesome.

I took a 35 Whelen and a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser on my first trip and a 404 Jeffery and my 35 Whelen for the second.

Welcome to AH !

Just for giggles, have you ever taken a good look at the ballistics for a properly loaded 35 Whelen? They are awesome.

I took a 35 Whelen and a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser on my first trip and a 404 Jeffery and my 35 Whelen for the second.

I had a friend suggest it but never followed up on it. I know they are both .30-06 derivatives. Other than diameter, they are very close to one another.

I have both a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5x55 built on a FN Mauser action. Would you lose that much dropping down to 6.5mm from either 7mm or a .308 on most plains game?

I load my 6.5 x 55 Swede above SAMMI Specs. to more what it was originally loaded at. My loads produce 2775 FPS with a 140 Gr. Nosler Partition. For PG you won't notice any difference.

Welcome to AH. Planning is half the fun! Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting.
If there is a way we can be of help to you please feel free to call or send us a message.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH! It is a great site, glad to have you here.

Welcome to AH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg