Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0189.JPG
IMG_1495.JPG
Thought I would take a quick moment and introduce myself. I have my first Safari scheduled for later in 2018.

Currently reside in central Texas and do the bulk of my hunting in the hill country and also rolling plains area of the state. No stranger to western big game hunting as well. Definitely excited about my first international hunt though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH sir!

Welcome aboard! Enjoy the hunt, where are you going?

Good back pedal on the intro.
Thanks for sharing some of your home grown trophies. Congrats.

Welcome to AH.

The taxidermy is always an issue. :)

It sure is.... wife wasn’t too happy when that Aoudad came home from the taxidermist. (y)

Better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission

Reedy we will be hunting with Molopo Kalahari Safaris with Rudolf Graupner

Nice trophies AustinL. What caliber rifle will you be using?

Right now I am leaning towards my Rem 700 in .280 loaded with 175 gr Barnes TSX.

Welcome to AH!

Dear AustinL
Welcome to the best FORUM on the Web. Welcome to a great hunting family.
Congratulations on taking that big step to the African continent. Enjoy the excitement...and the planning - since it forms a huge FUN part of your excursion.
Have fun, enjoy.
Happy hunting - and straight shooting!

Welcome! Can you share some info on where you got your Aoudad? That's on my bucket list.

Welcome AustinL. It appears you already are a successful hunter, now you just have to learn all about Africa, and you have certainly came to the right place!!!

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH!

Thanks all for such a warm welcome to the community. I am very excited about our up coming trip though I know there is a lot to be done between now and then.

375 Ruger Fan on the Aoudad I am very blessed in that my family owns a section and a half of land north of Sweetwater Texas. In fact all three of the animals above came off of that property over the course of a few years. We have a pretty decent population of free ranging aoudad but due to the size of our property and there nomadic nature it is a whole lot of being in the right place at the right time. In the 11 years we have owned the property we have killed 3 rams off of it with this one being the largest. He is right at 30"

Welcome from another Texan! Enjoy AH and planning your first safari.
Philip

Welcome to AH and congrats on your upcoming safari! I've only visited Texas one time, but I loved it!

Free ranging Aoudad, Sweetwater Texas really!!! I spent a little time in Abilene (3.5 years) courtesy of Uncle Sam back in the early 60s. And all this time I thought the only wildlife around Sweetwater was rattlesnakes. I'm not very familiar with your 280 Remington but am assuming it is similar to a 7x 57 /275 Rigby on steroids. If that is correct you shouldn't have any trouble with African PG as long as you stick to heavier bullets like the 175 Gr. you mentioned. AH is certainly the best site to help you plan your safari. The thing you want to avoid most is surprises. Your chosen caliber is a little bit unusual, for that reason I'd check with your outfitter to see if it is available in Africa. I do know that in South Africa there is a small chain of retail stores called Safari and Outdoors. You can check their web-site for ammo availability. Good luck with your planning and hunt, if you have any questions just ask them.

Welcome, enjoy the ride.

Welcome to AH AustinL! Beautiful trophies, thx for sharing. You will enjoy your time here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.