From SE Texas!!

Welcome ... I will throw in a second howdy from Texas ... I am in Nacogdoches! Ask all the questions that you want ... the only thing better than going to Africa is talking about Africa ... good luck in your planning.

Welcome ... I will throw in a second howdy from Texas ... I am in Nacogdoches! Ask all the questions that you want ... the only thing better than going to Africa is talking about Africa ... good luck in your planning.
Maybe we'll run into each other at the Lukin Academy July 4th weekend. That's when I'm due back next.

Maybe we'll run into each other at the Lukin Academy July 4th weekend. That's when I'm due back next.

Sounds like a plan ... I will be the old fat guy wearing an SFA shirt ... you won't be able to miss me :)!

If we happen to miss each other ... you have a standing invitation to come by the house and talk safari!

A bow hunt in Moz? That is a tough environment to try to with a bow - particularly for a first safari. Looking at their site, it would appear that their bow hunting concession is near Pretoria. Was the hunt sold as a bow hunt or as a hunt in Moz and you are planning to take a bow rather than a rifle?

Anyway, welcome to the site - you'll find some great information here and informed opinion.

They have a newly acquired property in Moz that we have an option of hunting from what I here. We've only received a few emails back and forth so far, but details are on the way. I typically only hunt with bow unless its a good old Texas meat harvest (MLDP) or a hog eradication, then I'll use the old boom stick. I love flipping arrows and have found a passion with 3D tournaments, carrying my family along for the ride. The parental unit, daughter and both boys all shoot bows as well. I'm on my 13th year and the rest are in various stages of the sport.

I do understand that archery is a limiting factor in all of hunting and this isn't just another hunt. There's always the risk of equipment failure or poor shot placement with what we do, but most of these things are resolved or addressed thru use, practice and understanding of what our equipment is capable of and what its limits are. And by equipment I mean the mind and body as well. I've worked years on getting that grey machine between my ears tuned up for most hunting situations and scenarios. All that to say, I'm not a seasonal archer. I take my bow with me everywhere I go. I shoot almost daily, practicing out at 80 on a regular basis. I have the utmost confidence that I can and will harvest all the animals I can in Africa. (stepping off my soapbox)

You know whats funny about this whole deal? My concern isn't with the hunt, but getting there and back!! Logistics. The bow will do its job.

Welcome tot he forums @Bowhica . I'm a Katy guy as well, maybe we can grab a beer sometime?

Right on!! I'm usually in town about every 2 weeks or so. My hunting partner and I will be getting together next wknd for a delicious sparkling adult beverage and some bowfishing. He's located near the 99/Mason area. PM me your info and I'll keep you in mind.

LOTB

Welcome to AH !

They have a newly acquired property in Moz that we have an option of hunting from what I here. We've only received a few emails back and forth so far, but details are on the way. I typically only hunt with bow unless its a good old Texas meat harvest (MLDP) or a hog eradication, then I'll use the old boom stick. I love flipping arrows and have found a passion with 3D tournaments, carrying my family along for the ride. The parental unit, daughter and both boys all shoot bows as well. I'm on my 13th year and the rest are in various stages of the sport.

I do understand that archery is a limiting factor in all of hunting and this isn't just another hunt. There's always the risk of equipment failure or poor shot placement with what we do, but most of these things are resolved or addressed thru use, practice and understanding of what our equipment is capable of and what its limits are. And by equipment I mean the mind and body as well. I've worked years on getting that grey machine between my ears tuned up for most hunting situations and scenarios. All that to say, I'm not a seasonal archer. I take my bow with me everywhere I go. I shoot almost daily, practicing out at 80 on a regular basis. I have the utmost confidence that I can and will harvest all the animals I can in Africa. (stepping off my soapbox)

You know whats funny about this whole deal? My concern isn't with the hunt, but getting there and back!! Logistics. The bow will do its job.

Right on!! I'm usually in town about every 2 weeks or so. My hunting partner and I will be getting together next wknd for a delicious sparkling adult beverage and some bowfishing. He's located near the 99/Mason area. PM me your info and I'll keep you in mind.

LOTB
I understand. I have taken several dozen deer with a bow over the last thirty years. I am sure I don't have body and mind in as perfected alignment as you do, but that is likely because the bow is not a passion for me. It has, however, been a great way to extend seasons in a number of the places we lived over the years. My only point is that a number of South African and Namibian game ranches cater to bow hunters. They will have blinds set up near water holes, salt blocks, etc. You can see that sort of hunt on the outdoor channel two or three times a week. The outfitter you named apparently has such a fenced concession in SA.

The vast majority of Mozambique, on the other hand, is much more a wilderness type hunt. You will also find far less game per square kilometer (and very different game) than you would on that ranch in the RSA or even tribal areas in Namibia. Jumping off a truck and trying to stalk in range of a sable in Mozambique is a very different proposition than potting an impala from a blind hunting on a ranch.

"Africa" can be a truly fabulous bowhunting destination. I simply urge you to fully understand what your partner has purchased so that you will be prepared. There is no such thing as being prepared to hunt "Africa" any more than you can be prepared to hunt "North America". The regions, the game, and the way it can be successfully hunted varies tremendously. Some questions now can save an enormous amount of frustration later. I would begin by making sure I fully understood the destination and the outfitters intent.

Look forward to hearing about the trip.

Last edited:
Welcome to AH Bow!

Howdy & Welcome from NTX.

You have set your sights high. In truly wild Africa opportunities will be far fewer than in SA and Namibia, brace yourself for a tough hunt but the success if obtained will be truly satisfying !

Thank you for all the warm welcomes and insight!! I approach each hunt in this way. I'm paying for the experience and if I am lucky enough to harvest an animal.....that is the bonus for the trip. I'll be 1/2 way around the world from Texas with a good friend. Its a Mancation with the option of bowhunting!!

LOTB

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH and enjoy your safari. I will agree with @Red Leg Mozambique, is not ideal for bow hunting.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH! never underestimate the boomstick in africa it comes in handy on those critters that are just hard to get real close to. But also that is part of the fun and challenge of bow hunting.

Welcome to a great sight.
The best advise I can give you is study the atomy of African game.
Remember if you draw blood you bought that animal . Forrest

Welcome and enjoy the ride!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IlaCourtne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!