Flights

So many guys like that delta flight and if your down south I guess it is one of the better flights. I myself will always only take a direct flight to jo-berg and not chance going through any of the other places that link to jo-berg. Why give them another chance to lose my luggage by needing to change planes. plus I don't like the extra time it takes.

I like the SAA flight out of jfk because you get there in the morning instead of the evening like out of Atlanta. I would check with lori at travel express on prices and routes.

Appreciate the info I will definitely check with travel express..

The rates I found that low were the end of may everything I find for June July is 1800 or so

I've done that same trip 4 times now and it's the way to go. As someone mentioned, you may want to check out Economy Comfort, especially if you can get the bulkhead row (29 IIRC).

Guys, just go to google flights and plug in the information. May is not the busy season yet and it and Delta's fares are about half of what they are in June-August.

The delta flight will.do! Done it twice

If you found 1k on DL to JNB round trip, buy it. You can spend some extra money and buy DL' s E+ product, which just you a little extra leg room.

However, I would price out other airline too. Emirates was having a sale, it might be over. From DFW you have some choices it's just where you are going to change planes and baggage fee.

I am looking at limcroma and dare to bowhunt both in the limpopo.

My hunting partners have threw a curve in my operation they are wanting to go in July or August so I have to find those flights now. I did contact Lori with travel express to see what she can do

Where did you ever find a round trip flight to JNB for that price. I have not seen anything at that time for less than 2 k
I had two extras legs to my last flight, SJT-DFW-IAD-JNB-WDH, compared to what we are discussing here and Lori @Travel Express Got me a ticket for $1496. That was THE cheapest flight I have ever had to he dark continent. Anything less than that is a real bargain. That said the Delta ATL-JNB has gotten more expensive I think because it is so popular. I also mention paying the extra $199 each way to get premium economy on Delta. So just have to weigh your options and prices.
Planning is half the fun!
Regards,
Philip

DEN-ATL-JNB-ELS with the E+ upgrade priced out at $1814 in September. Tack on $200 for rifle permits and the Joberg meet and greet with Africa Sky and I'm looking at 2k for travel.

Do you have your safari booked yet or is it still up in the air? I ask this because you are saying that your hunting partners want to go later.

I wouldn't even look at flights until the hunt is booked.

I also used Lori at Travel Express and will use her again if I head back over. She takes care of any of the problems if there are any and lets you know what your options are.

No sir it's not booked yet still searching for the best option for everyone, I was just getting an idea of flight cost and what was recommended. I did contact Lori today she was a big help and I believe when the dates are set I am going to let her handle it

First you won't be able to not take a connecting flight as far as I can tell. I can see why you'd go DFW with it's proximity to Troy, TX. $1100 or thereabouts on Delta is a steal in comparison to what they normally charge for that flight. So I wouldn't wait too long to make your choice.

Another option out of DFW is on Emirates airlines. An option that likely costs about the same but will involve longer travel time overall. I have flown Emirates and it is a great airline whose service sets a standard that I'm not sure is met by any others, certainly not Delta. But if I were you I'd jump on the Delta flight for that cost. The only drawback as mentioned above is the evening arrival in Joburg. That just about guarantees that you'll need to overnight in Joburg before you set out the next day for your hunting concession. If your outfitter is picking you up and taking you by car to the concession, he may be willing to make the evening drive. But driving at night in RSA is not something I relish.

Well my $1100 dollar dreams aren't going to come true my hunting party wants a later hunt which I know is for the best talking with Lori my expense is going to go up that much.

It's worth a couple of hundred dollars extra for a direct flight. I took the Dulles to Joberg flight, it included a stop in Dakar to load and unload passengers and clean the plane. The ticket was cheaper but getting woke up in the middle of the night and the extra few hours on the plane was not worth the savings.

It's worth a couple of hundred dollars extra for a direct flight. I took the Dulles to Joberg flight, it included a stop in Dakar to load and unload passengers and clean the plane. The ticket was cheaper but getting woke up in the middle of the night and the extra few hours on the plane was not worth the savings.
You mean that you were able to sleep on the plane? All I got was a few cat naps.

I actually flew from Denver to Salt Lake City to NY and then on to Joberg nonstop. But on the return we stopped in Dakar on our way to Dulles before heading to Denver. This was on South African Airways which was around $1500 cheaper than any flight that Delta offered at the time.

I am looking at limcroma and dare to bowhunt both in the limpopo.

My hunting partners have threw a curve in my operation they are wanting to go in July or August so I have to find those flights now. I did contact Lori with travel express to see what she can do

We are booked with Limcroma for July of this year, I was very picky with ticket prices, at one time I was tracking the prices of 17 different flights from 4 different airports within 2 hours of where we live.

My 2 main options were a short flight to ATL, the Delta to JNB... OR.... a flight to JFK, the SAA to JNB.

I decided that I wanted to arrive early in the AM in JNB, this will allow us get into camp by noon on Day 1, and save us from overnighting in Joberg.
The only flights that offer early arrival are from SAA. I also wanted a flight that departed from JNB late in the day, this allowed us to maximize our last day.

After following prices 2-3 times a day, I finally caught a round trip from Louisville KY>Charlotte NC>JFK>JBN.... then return JNB>ATL>LOU.
for $1686. this allowed some extra money for seat upgrades!

Make sure the rate you are looking at is good for the dates you will be flying. They have "In Season" and "Out of Season" rates. Unless you are flying First or Business Class the Economy Comfort seats are the way to go.

BTW if you are overnighting in JoBurg stay at the Afton House if you can. You can make reservations on line. They pick you up at the airport, feed you a steak supper and provide a safe, clean comfortable place to sleep. Your outfitter will pick you up from there.

Last edited:

Therack
I agree with you but it depends on the price difference. I must say that SAA IAD-JNB flight is the worst, longest, and might be the most uncomfortable flight to go on. I did it last time based on not only cost but also total travel time. I much prefer the Delta flight!

Another thing to keep in mind is whether or not you must overnight in Joberg. Many people and travel agents want you to overnight if the connections are close. (Provided you are connecting to another flight) If you are transiting to another country and don't do the RSA gun permit and get stuck there for the night then you just have to go do the paperwork and yes it's a pain. I would rather, in the case of transiting to another country and provided I have a 3 hour layover in JNB, take the chance and get to my final destination instead of spends the night and paying $200 to do the RSA gun permit.
Just my thoughts.
Philip

If you are flying tourist, Delta is more comfortable than SAA. One of my worst flights ever was J'burg Dulles in steerage next to one of the fellows who brings his belt extender with him. After about an hour I had to get very direct about "my paid for space." we did not leave the plane as friends. The front end of the SAA flight is a nice ride. Obviously, Delta is as well. Also, every SAA flight I have taken was packed to the gills - I swear they ticket the toilet seats as well. Going to try business Emirates this fall going to Mozambique. Have flown them a bit around the Middle East when still gainfully employed and they were a very nice ride.

Therack
I agree with you but it depends on the price difference. I must say that SAA IAD-JNB flight is the worst, longest, and might be the most uncomfortable flight to go on. I did it last time based on not only cost but also total travel time. I much prefer the Delta flight!

Another thing to keep in mind is whether or not you must overnight in Joberg. Many people and travel agents want you to overnight if the connections are close. (Provided you are connecting to another flight) If you are transiting to another country and don't do the RSA gun permit and get stuck there for the night then you just have to go do the paperwork and yes it's a pain. I would rather, in the case of transiting to another country and provided I have a 3 hour layover in JNB, take the chance and get to my final destination instead of spends the night and paying $200 to do the RSA gun permit.
Just my thoughts.
Philip
Philip, several posts in this thread indicated they either paid or will have to pay $200 for the S.A. gun permit. Just two weeks ago I paid Henry@RiflePermits.com $120 for the permits and meet and greet at Joberg. I am not overnighting there. Will be met by outfitter/ph and then straight to the hunting camp. What am I missing here, or did I just get lucky?

If you are flying tourist, Delta is more comfortable than SAA. One of my worst flights ever was J'burg Dulles in steerage next to one of the fellows who brings his belt extender with him. After about an hour I had to get very direct about "my paid for space." we did not leave the plane as friends. The front end of the SAA flight is a nice ride. Obviously, Delta is as well. Also, every SAA flight I have taken was packed to the gills - I swear they ticket the toilet seats as well. Going to try business Emirates this fall going to Mozambique. Have flown them a bit around the Middle East when still gainfully employed and they were a very nice ride.

Having to go further east than you need to and stopping in Dubai is a bit of a drawback. As is the likelihood that you may not have a gate for the plane to stop at. This means you'll have to get on a bus and take a ride to the terminal. A ride that seems much longer than it should be from my one experience.

But those folks know how to run an airline. Service is amazing and friendly. The planes are noticeably cleaner than other airlines. And even if you were in coach, you'd be overfed with food by airline standards is quite good. If you can schedule to keep your layover to no more than 3 hours, I think all and all you'll prefer Emirates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross