Flights

Ghillie up

AH member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the correct spot to post or not please redirect me if I'm wrong.
Working on planning my first trip to Africa this year and I am looking at flight options. I would like the most direct route avoiding Amsterdam, france all of that.
I will be flying out of the Dallas,TX dfw airport. I did find a trip for 3 with delta airlines round-trip for $1,000 a piece only one layover in atlanta Georgia total flight time 18hrs. Is this good? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Where in Africa are you going?

DFW-ATL-JNB on Delta is your best bet. Delta also has a premium economy option that is very nice. Use a travel agent! I've used Gracy and @Travel Express and both good and reasonable.
Regards,
Philip

Last edited by a moderator:
Good price and Delta all the way makes your gun shipping easy.

Just toting the ole stick and string with us taking tx to africa..
One question I do have is how do you go about carrying your broadheads and knife in your check luggage? What forms etc..

You have to swap planes at some point. There are no direct flights from Texas.
You decide where.
If you don't want to hit Europe Philip's suggestion is the way to go.

One question I do have is how do you go about carrying your broadheads and knife in your check luggage? What forms etc..

I put them in my locked carrying case for my bow. If no case present, then bury them in your cloths in your checked bag.

No forms required. I just put them inside my boots to stop them from rattling around. They will likely try to take your bow case to police for inspection.

Good price and Delta all the way makes your gun shipping easy.
That's a great price!!! The cheapest I have found for July is just over $2000.00!

Thanks. I plan on loading my skb with all my clothes and hunting stuff then take a small carry on

That's a great price!!! The cheapest I have found for July is just over $2000.00!
Yea, me too. I haven't seen any delta flights any where close to 1000.00

1100 is a very good price. Staying on Delta and only changing planes in Atlanta is about as good as it gets. Taking your bow is easy and no paperwork required for broadheads or knife.

Where in SA are you hunting and who is your Outfitter??

Have FUN!!

If you can go directly from the US to JNB, they do so. If you can get better fares going through Europe, then you should definitely consider doing that.

People tend to make a fuss out of going through Europe - a needless fuss in my experience. My rules are simple:

1. Stay away from airports which don't like those carrying guns. There is only really one of those places (at least for those coming from North America) now in Europe - Amsterdam. Germany, the UK and France are not a problem at all (provided you aren't going to Zimbabwe, which you are not). Problems arise when people fly into a country to one airport and then transfer airports for a connection. For example, fly into Gatwick and out of Heathrow. But if you stick to one airport, then you will have no problems. I have flown through London, Paris and Frankfurt with firearms many times, and have never had an issue. Or even the whiff of an issue. Most recently through Frankfurt in November, on my way to Addis Ababa.

2. Stay away from airlines which don't like firearms. British Airways may be one of those. Most American carriers are not a problem, nor are carriers such as South African, Lufthansa, etc.

3. If you plan on spending time in an intermediate destination, like London, then you may have more fuss to deal with.

Take your own guns. It's one of the great enjoyments of hunting in Africa - using your own guns, both for that purpose. Particularly bigger bores. A bit of planning and you will have no issues.

Have fun.

I like to put everything pertaining to my compound in my bow case, release, broadhead case, arrows ect. and pad everything with some of my clothes and in a separate bag my recurve, tab, arrows, broadheads and the rest of my clothes. That way if either bag arrives I can still be hunting, it has happened that one bag was two days late once but it was not a huge problem packed that way.

Where did you ever find a round trip flight to JNB for that price. I have not seen anything at that time for less than 2 k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.