Finally got one!

jduckhunter

AH elite
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
1,085
Reaction score
2,664
Media
134
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
6
Australia/NZ
1
Member of
DU, JSA, NAHC( Life member), NRA (Life member)
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, USA (PA ,WY,TX,MT,AK,NJ,DE,VA,WV,SD,MA,NC,FL,MD,CA) Canada (QC,NF,ON,NT,NWT,BC), New Zealand
In a thread a while back I said that I always wanted a 308 Win. but just never bought one. Well I can't say that anymore and some of the blame goes to Graham Hunter. I was thinking about buying one of the new Ruger Hawkeye Hunters in 308 Win. then I bought that 250 Savage from Graham and when I went to the gun shop to pick it up I asked for a price on the new Ruger. They gave me a price I could not turn down so just like that I got my 308 that I always wanted and she is a beaut. I wasn't sure about the stainless barrel and action with a walnut stock but now after having it in my hands I think they compliment each other very nicely. I ditched the factory installed rail and dug up an old pair of Ruger mounts and an old school Leupold 3 x 9 Compact scope. The brass and bullets are due to arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to see how well she shoots very soon. And I almost forgot to mention the barrel is factory threaded so my suppressor screws right on, that's a big plus.
Ruger 308 Win.jpg
 
You will be happy with that rifle
 
Nice rifle!
I've never had an itch for a .308 but wish I had grabbed that .250 when it first posted for sale.
Not to be mean or anything but I'm really glad you didn't. Hope you find another one just like it some day.
 
Congrats on the addition! Looks nice!
 
Always happy to see a "buddy" get a new rifle. That news brings smiles all around.
 
Always happy to see a "buddy" get a new rifle. That news brings smiles all around.
Thanks I just wish my wife felt the same way. Two new rifles in a matter of a few days did not make her smile, but I sure was.
 
Nice rifle, I have several of the old Remington 788's in 308 and I love them. Great caliber, has many options from the smallest of game to some pretty good size game, and a good long range caliber as well. You will be happy with the overall setup I'm sure.
 
Nice looking rifle. Sounds like you got a nice pair of small bores that will be very useful.
 
Congratulations on the 308! Please keep me in mind if you ever want to dump the 250 Savage, I’d like first shot.
I'll keep you in mind but doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon. That thing shoots like a dream.
 
In a thread a while back I said that I always wanted a 308 Win. but just never bought one. Well I can't say that anymore and some of the blame goes to Graham Hunter. I was thinking about buying one of the new Ruger Hawkeye Hunters in 308 Win. then I bought that 250 Savage from Graham and when I went to the gun shop to pick it up I asked for a price on the new Ruger. They gave me a price I could not turn down so just like that I got my 308 that I always wanted and she is a beaut. I wasn't sure about the stainless barrel and action with a walnut stock but now after having it in my hands I think they compliment each other very nicely. I ditched the factory installed rail and dug up an old pair of Ruger mounts and an old school Leupold 3 x 9 Compact scope. The brass and bullets are due to arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to see how well she shoots very soon. And I almost forgot to mention the barrel is factory threaded so my suppressor screws right on, that's a big plus.View attachment 341687

Congrats! Sounds like you'll be loading your own. Varget and 165gr bullets tend to work very well in .308Win.
 
I have big shoulders and never worry about being an enabler, shamer, promoter of anyone buying a new firearm. Glad you're enjoying the 250 it's a beaut. Hope the 308 works out well.
 
Nice rifle! Funny how the tides flow as just this morning pangs of not having a .308 started washing upon me.
 
Congrats! Sounds like you'll be loading your own. Varget and 165gr bullets tend to work very well in .308Win.
Yep I'll be loading for it hopefully starting tonight. I have a bunch of different 150 gr and 165 gr bullets and kegs of Varget, IMR3031, RE 15 and some other powders to try out. I fully intend to put her through her paces.
 
Nice rifle! Funny how the tides flow as just this morning pangs of not having a .308 started washing upon me.
Don't fight it just go with the flow!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,851
Members
169,443
Latest member
PamalaPoin
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top