Favorite above .40 Revolver cartridge?

ldmay375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
My favorite is the 480 Ruger at this time and has been for a couple years. I am not a handgun hunter. Though I do enjoy shooting handguns. I believe the 480 would cover a lot of bases.

Hard pick between .44 Special and .45 Colt. Have a few of each.

I prefer my 44 magnum in a Ruger Redhawk with a action job. I also have a S&W 629 but I still prefer the Ruger after the action job.

I have a old model Ruger 3 screw .45 Blackhawk whose serial number is in the low three digits that is also fun to shoot. I rescued it from a friend who thought that he had a .44 mag and was loading it all the way up to that power.

Maybe I misread the original post, but for the less than super-magnums, I'll go with my 41 and 44 magnum S&W's.

I haven't had the chance to fire anything larger at this point in time... Gun shy I guess. I don't want to invest in anything that gives me the serious case of the yips.

Would like to try the 460 S&W at some point in time, without purchasing on my dime. See how I rhyme... Lord, give me time...

I prefer my 44 magnum in a Ruger Redhawk with a action job. I also have a S&W 629 but I still prefer the Ruger after the action job.

I have a old model Ruger 3 screw .45 Blackhawk whose serial number is in the low three digits that is also fun to shoot. I rescued it from a friend who thought that he had a .44 mag and was loading it all the way up to that power.
Given a suitable platform like a Ruger, the old Colt is every bit the equal of the .44 mag.

For pure shooting enjoyment I have to go with the 41 magnum, if we are talking pure horsepower that doesn’t leave you dazed and confused but will stop most things that walk the earth It is hard to beat the 475 Linebaugh!

I’m an old school traditionalist when it comes to wheel guns...

Over .40 is only 1 choice for me...

.44 mag

475 linebaugh in revolver,9.3x74r in scope sighted single shot.if it has to be over 40 cal then 45-70,450 marlin,460 s&w.

Given a suitable platform like a Ruger, the old Colt is every bit the equal of the .44 mag.

I know how strong that Blackhawk is since Ruger also made it in 44 magnum. But with it's low serial number I just couldn't see shooting it with that amount of power. I like it with cast 255 gr soft points at around 950 fps.

Although not mentioned so far, I have a liking for the 454 Casull. Just the right balance of projectile weight and velocity. I took the kudu below with a 300 gr Hornady XTP Mag at about 1500 fps, range 139 yards.
Kudu.jpg

Complete penetration. There are much better projectiles around, but that was the best available at the time.

.41 Mag. nfortunately I no longer have one, stuck with my 629 S&W 44 Mag!

I had a 45-70 BFR it was a great revolver but I sold it because I didn’t use it enough.

.45 lc in a ruger Blackhawk

I have a 41 Mag, 2 44 Mags, 454 Casull, 460 S&W, 45Colt, 45/70, 480 Ruger, 500 S&W amd a 59 AE. The 44 Mag is my favourite of them all.

Had a couple of 44 Magnums and a 454 casull...the ruger super redhawk in 44 mag is my favourite...got it a long time ago and it had the 9.5 inch barrel ...I didn't like that and back then handguns were still allowed in UK...so arranged with a certain English gun maker to cut the barrel to 6 inches...I travelled over to the mainland with it in a hard rifle case which confused customs a bit when I opened it...Paul did great job ...it looks something like this but inch longer barrel ...be nice to have it here but that would be a mission even thinking about let alone trying....
IMG-20200730-WA0001.jpg

Super Redhawk Alaskan, 480 Ruger.
I am anxious to try this little fellow. Hopefully within the next few days, I will be able to shoot it some.

3670A7A3-BB37-48D9-83A8-DBAAAEA99735.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I only have three over .40 revolver, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt and .45 ACP.

I'd say .45 ACP for fun and .44 Mag for actually shooting things.

Old school - N Frame .44 mag.

I have a S&W and an old three screw Blackhawk in 44 Mag. For hunting I like the Blackhawk because you can lower it to a half cock position much like what is on the Winchester Mod 94 carbines. The 454 Casull(s) beat my hands up too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg