Dangerous, Non Dangerous Game

Holy smokes. Nothing a slice of Birthday Cheesecake won’t make better!
:D
 
FF010826-2257-4BA0-8532-3589D720A36E.jpeg

Exactly 1 month ago to the day, Nick and I shot this ram. I love those menacing little rams. I’m glad Nick is going to be OK to tell some stories about this recent adventure.
 
We have always stated to all of our hunters how dangerous Bushbuck are. Majority of the time, we get a surprised expression simply due to the size of the animal. Among our PH's in camp, we have often wondered whether Bushbuck are as aggressive in other areas as they are in the Eastern Cape. One theory was that this could be because of generations of Bushbuck hunting over hounds which is traditional to our areas, still to this day. The theory is that this could have caused the aggressive rams that got away from the dogs to breed over many decades. The ones that stop, fight and ultimately kill dogs were the ones that survived. Don't think that the theory is as crazy as it sounds. We even speak about certain areas as having "angry" rams.

Anyways, my head PH Nick was on the wrong end of a wounded Cape Bushbuck today. Luckily the bone stopped the horn from going through. Couple of stitches, a tetanus shot and anti biotics should have him back on his feet sooner rather than later. A few inches to the left would have been a different story.

View attachment 479673


Anybody else had any run ins with Non-dangerous, dangerous game?
What's the probability of that happening (being one who encountered many bushbuck.) Are they now considered DG? LOL Corner anything (even a woman) and same will happen, but you'll not be dead, and stronger! Did he not handload?? :p
 
WOW. Glad Nick is alright. Could of been much worse. I’ve taken one in the East Cape and 4 more from other areas. I’m cautious around them all. I really enjoy hunting them, but you have to respect them.
Bruce
Absolutely Bruce. You have to respect them. Know quite a few people who are lucky to be alive after getting stuck by Bushbuck. One of the local farmers here that we still hunt with to this day, had to cut the Bushbuck's head off behind the ears while impaled into his upper thighs. Went to hospital with the Bushbuck's head still attached. Missed his femoral arteries by fractions of an inch.
 
What's the probability of that happening (being one who encountered many bushbuck.) Are they now considered DG? LOL Corner anything (even a woman) and same will happen, but you'll not be dead, and stronger! Did he not handload?? :p
Well, the probability is quite high. We've all experienced multiple charges from Bushbuck.
 
When I hunted with Game 4 Africa Safaris, Wik showed me the scars on his beautiful and fearless Jack Russel name Rocky, courtesy of a wounded and angry bushbuck.

Glad Nick is going to be ok.
 
Glad to hear Nick is doing OK.

Our encounter in the thick stuff with my Bushbuck was enough to get the hairs raised. Could easily image this scenario!
 
Glad to hear Nick is doing OK.

Our encounter in the thick stuff with my Bushbuck was enough to get the hairs raised. Could easily image this scenario!

How about a bit more details of your encounter? :)
 
How about a bit more details of your encounter? :)

I've got it in a hunt report somewhere, but here's the condensed version. ;)

Marius glassed a ram across a large gully, about a kilometre away. We headed off down hill and up through the thick stuff on the opposite face, moving when the wind blew as we got close. We could actually hear him chewing before we saw him.

My scope only wound down to 4x and at a mere 8 yards, the ram's shoulder filled the scope as I fired. He instantly bolted into the long grass. We followed step by step, me with loaded .300 to my shoulder and Marius parting the shoulder high grass with his sticks.

Luckily he didn't make it too far and holed up under a bush, turned back to face his pursuers. I'd hit him high, fortunately enough to take most of the sting out of him. A quick finisher at point-blank and he was done, but it was a tense follow-up. Marius took no chances, but I can easily see how this could have happened to Nick. They are fiesty little buggers!

DSC_3240.JPG
 
1659139172460.jpeg

Here is Nick in June 2021 after he went in after Lucy’s bushbuck. He stopped it about a yard from him in the thick stuff. The fast moving in the bush tore his shirt, not the buck. He was a bit shaken for a few hours after.
 
Nilgai/Blue Bull,the Bulls are really dangerous,know of two Incidents where they Gored and killed 2 People,one guy had shot it with a 12 bore No.6 Shot{Trying to shoo them away from his wheat fields},the Bull Gored and Stomped him to Death.Cops had to put it down with a FN FAL just to retrieve the Body,Other Guy too was Gored in a similar fashion.
 
Ram was wounded and he sent his dog in. He said it was very thick. The ram was trying to get a hold of his dog, and when the dog ran passed him to get away from the ram on the chagre, the ram obviously picked him out and charged him. Said he thought the ram only hit him with his head, but managed to wrestle the ram to the ground and called one of the trackers to help hold it down. Then finished it off with his sidearm. Only after the episode he realised that he has been poked.
Classic understatement said in what I can only imagine is a wonderful African accent. I love it!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,346
Messages
1,573,628
Members
169,774
Latest member
AlisiaStei
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top