www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand, USA, Canada
We have always stated to all of our hunters how dangerous Bushbuck are. Majority of the time, we get a surprised expression simply due to the size of the animal. Among our PH's in camp, we have often wondered whether Bushbuck are as aggressive in other areas as they are in the Eastern Cape. One theory was that this could be because of generations of Bushbuck hunting over hounds which is traditional to our areas, still to this day. The theory is that this could have caused the aggressive rams that got away from the dogs to breed over many decades. The ones that stop, fight and ultimately kill dogs were the ones that survived. Don't think that the theory is as crazy as it sounds. We even speak about certain areas as having "angry" rams.

Anyways, my head PH Nick was on the wrong end of a wounded Cape Bushbuck today. Luckily the bone stopped the horn from going through. Couple of stitches, a tetanus shot and anti biotics should have him back on his feet sooner rather than later. A few inches to the left would have been a different story.

IMG-20220728-WA0020.jpg

Anybody else had any run ins with Non-dangerous, dangerous game?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Nick is a super fellow and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Regarding your theory, I think everything and person in the Eastern Cape is hard as nails, so my theory is the water supply! Although, I suspect Rigby is thinking "'tis but a flesh wound young man" ;)

Sarg

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Wow yes Bushbuck are bad all over I would say !
Had a couple of nasty incidents with Steinbok & a few less with Duiker wounded, look so cute but not !
Yes but in the shoulder how did that happen, did he charge it lol ?

Antanas

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
CIC
Hunted
Germany,Finland,Poland,Denmark,Namibia,Lithuania,South Africa,France
Our hunters cant believe .Nick is iron man . All wish speedy recovery.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
Wow yes Bushbuck are bad all over I would say !
Had a couple of nasty incidents with Steinbok & a few less with Duiker wounded, look so cute but not !
Yes but in the shoulder how did that happen, did he charge it lol ?
Ram was wounded and he sent his dog in. He said it was very thick. The ram was trying to get a hold of his dog, and when the dog ran passed him to get away from the ram on the chagre, the ram obviously picked him out and charged him. Said he thought the ram only hit him with his head, but managed to wrestle the ram to the ground and called one of the trackers to help hold it down. Then finished it off with his sidearm. Only after the episode he realised that he has been poked.

Happy Myles

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Chad, Benin, Ethiopia, Ruwanda, Burugi, Mo, Cameroon, C.A.R.mozambique, Namibia\, So Africa, Congo, , Botswana,, All No America, All Central ASia, Mongolia
I have hunted all the legal subspecies of Bushbuck scattered around Africa and found them brave, smart and ready to fight back when needed and they are able. I am always watchful when approaching one that is down. Wonderful animals among my most respected, favorite trophies. Often overlooked by new African hunters. Kindest Regards

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
I have hunted all the legal subspecies of Bushbuck scattered around Africa and found them brave, smart and ready to fight back when needed and they are able. I am always watchful when approaching one that is down. Wonderful animals among my most respected, favorite trophies. Often overlooked by new African hunters. Kindest Regards
Wonderful words. Appreciate your post. Thank you.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted

Anbessa Gedai

AH senior member
Reaction score
Wyoming, U.S.A. (But much of the time in Africa)
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA - LIFE MEMBER & SCI - LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
Botswana, Ethiopia, Kenya, Mocambique, Namibia, Republic of South Africa, Zimbabwe, The Cameroon, Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Germany, Uzbekistan, British Columbia, Ontario, Manitoba, Alaska, Arizona, California, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
A few inches to the left? . . . "shades of Steve Irwin!"

Can you post a photo of the bushbuck?

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
A few inches to the left? . . . "shades of Steve Irwin!"

Can you post a photo of the bushbuck?
I will see if I can get a photo. Poor chap probably heavily sedated at the moment.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Limpopo
Dang, glad Nick is okay!

The Bushbuck is one animal I was not successful in getting my last trip to Africa. Only had time to hunt them one morning but did not see one to take. I think they are just a cool looking animal. Next trip I will hunt them again.

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
The war story of the twelve foot tall Bushbuck, cleared an eight foot fence chasing the dog and I jumped it in order to save the dog. Finally, after a half hour wrestling match I was able to finally have the upper hand after getting impaled.

Nick is a very lucky man, a few inches over and there are some rather important vessels that could spring a rather bad leak. Get well soon.

Congrats to the hunter. I hope the tip reflects the dedication and energy expended in retrieving the trophy.

Last edited:

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
I shot my Limpopo Bushbuck with my .338 Mag and he went down like all the other plains game taken with that rifle. That was on a river bank at night and we had to walk a Hippo trail to recover my Bush buck . That will keep you on your toes!

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
WOW. Glad Nick is alright. Could of been much worse. I’ve taken one in the East Cape and 4 more from other areas. I’m cautious around them all. I really enjoy hunting them, but you have to respect them.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
texashomeandgarden

Latest profile posts

USN
Hey everyone..rookie mistake here. Packing to leave tomorrow and I have no idea JNB policy for bringing I cigarettes. Yes I know a smoker, plan on taking 4 cartons if able. Any advice please. Will be greeted by Mr X to ease custom’s hassle. Thanks in advance !
Hi,

Glade to hear from you and that you have kept me in mind.

I hope all is well and the hunting has been good.

Everything is fairly good.

The 2 fellows that I had lined up for this great hunt opportunity have backed out.

I'm in the process of purchasing a new house and having knee surgery, or surgeries depending on the left knee MRI, hopefully I can get back to Africa as early as 2024.
I'm concerned about Australia's indigenous species that are being killed by feral cats. Is anyone aware of any hunts I can joining to go to Australia to take a few shots at feral cats.
Jonathan Gurley wrote on IdahoMo's profile.
Hey Idaho. how many rounds is there thru the 458 win mag
MARTIN PIETERS SAFARIS wrote on Cajun Hunter's profile.
Morning my what’s app is +263778121842 martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com we can look at open dates
Thanks
Martin