CHAD: Western Greater Kudu & Red Fronted Gazelle Club Faune & ACN

Day 11

I had a great night sleep and woke fully refreshed. We had coffee and cake then hit the road at 6:30. We got to the first waterhole at 7:05 to find a herd of one Roan with a beautiful bull, fully mature in the 25-26” range. His body in perfect condition, horns being broomed back with short tips.

The Roan trotted off and we went to put the Baboon guts out to bait the Mongoose this evening. While we checked the water hole for tracks Francois found a drag where a lion had killed something. We followed and fifty or so yards away was a dead calf, partially eaten. Most likely happened late in the night as it is not even stiff year. The trackers pulled it out and we built a blind.

We moved on the to another place to spend the morning. While driving we saw Oribi, Warthog and some Patas Monkey. Francois commented that this troop is headed towards the place we will sit. At 8:19 we set up over the water hole where we saw the big Roan last week in pursuit of Patas Monkey.

I watched more the seventy Baboon come to water, feed and play for more than an hour. Countless Warthogs came with a few very nice trophy males. Around 9:45 a Patas male came across a large open area and climbed a tree straight across from us about a hundred yards. He watches and waits before coming to water. He has about 35 yards of open ground before getting to the water. Around ten a couple of Baboons went over to the tree and about fifteen minutes later they climbed the tree and the Patas jumped out and went away.

A group of five Ostrich moved ever so carefully towards the water and after nearly a half hour the Patas felt comfortable and here he came. He ran straight to the water to drink, and I settled the crosshairs. I was shooting through some small acacia, but everything appeared clear in the scope. I squeezed the trigger and he jumped and ran about 30 yards. I missed again and just can’t explain it. I tried another shot with the .22 and held high to guesstimate for the drop but missed again. The dust flew behind, so he took off and then slowed down once he reached the bush. We watched him walk away.

Less than ten minutes later Hameed said “Patas”, and some females came from the left. Francois said, “get ready the male is behind”. So, I shifted my position and got ready. Two females ran across a small opening, one went back the other stayed and climbed a tree. I have not yet seen the male and after some time, the female when back and now we cannot see them.

It seemed like a half hour past but here they come again. Four to five females made way across then a couple went to drink. Francois whispered, “the male is coming”. Then I saw him appear. I followed him in the scope through the bush and when he came to a stop,

I put the crosshairs behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. He jumped on the air and took off with the troop. Melcom reviewed the footage and said, “he’s hit, center mass a little back”. We went into the bush the direction they ran and the four of us looked for about twenty minutes. Then we went back to the blind and Francois watched the video footage. He then said, “he’s dead, that’s a good hit”. The problem is the .22 solid passed right through him and he would go some distance before dying.

Francois called the car and we spread out in a line and started sweeping the area. After about fifteen minutes we hear Hameed calling. He found the monkey about a hundred fifty yards from us. When we approached, we could see him lying there and Hameed said, “he is not finished”. So, Francois walked up and touched his ear with the shotgun barrel, nothing. Then when he pushed the head the Patas came up with a bark. I quickly put a finisher in him, and it was over. The largest bodied monkey I have ever hunted, they are no doubt tough. I was very grateful to Hameed and all of the team for their efforts to recover my trophy.

It was 1:00 when we reached the truck, and we will take the monkey back to camp and celebrate with a beer. This was a tough animal for me, and I am so happy to have collected it.

On our way back to camp we had a nice Kudu bull cross the road in front of us, a shootable bull for sure and there was a younger bull with him.

After a nice lunch and rest we headed back out at 4:30 to go sit over the bait. Ten minutes into the drive we saw a nice Gazelle Ram, so Melcom stalked it to take some video footage. We got to the blind at 5:14. The smell of the dead cow and Warthog guts reminded me of blood bait we use to catch catfish back home in Texas.

Within just a few minutes a pair of Oribi appeared and the male was quite nice so I whispered to Francois if we should take him and he knodded yes. I repositioned the chair carefully and got on the 300. When he stopped, I put the crosshairs behind the should and squeezed the trigger. The Oribi was down instantly so made a quick recovery and a few photos then got back to the blind.
Chad Oribi.jpg

Just at sunset the sand grouse starred pouring in and they continued until it was completely dark. There had to be more than a hundred at the small water hole, it was quite the experience.

Back to camp for a shower and a lovely dinner of Kudu filet and potatoes. Tomorrow is the last day so we will make the best of it. Still in search of the elusive Egyptian Mongoose.

Day 12

I was up this morning a little after five and lay in bed listening to the bush come alive. At half past I went for coffee and Francois right behind me. We left camp a little after 6:00 and made our way to the second bait we have for Mongoose.

Slowly, we walked into the waterhole and found some Marabou Storks, Crane and other assorted birds but nothing else. The bait was gone, obviously taken away by a predator. It was a little before seven when we got settled in. We saw two Mongoose at the water yesterday morning when we drove by so that is why we chose this place.

Hundreds of doves poured into the waterhole for their morning drink. The large, concentrated numbers of birds remind me of many great dove shoots in Argentina. It makes me think about planning a trip back there someday soon.

It was a slow morning, only about a dozen Warthogs. The doves continued to roll in for the better part of the hour. About 8:25 we took a walk to the next water hole. There was a handful of Warthog there, so we called the car. The next water hole we walked in had six Kudu cows and calves. We moved a little closer and Hameed spotted a Roan bull at a salt lick. A handsome creature I judged to be in the 26” range, fully mature and in prime condition.

It’s about 9:30 now so we will take a slow drive to camp. On the way, we stopped to check the waterhole we had seen the Mongoose and found a dead Warthog in the mud. The trackers pulled him out, Francois did a drag with the guts so we can hopefully get the Mongoose’s attention this evening.

Once finished we were back on the road for camp. It’s been sort of a slow day as we didn’t see a lot of game while driving, just a few Warthogs, Duiker and Oribi.

We got back to camp around noon and relaxed over a nice lunch of Warthog tenderloin, green beans and a salad. There were crepes for desert and afterwards everyone retired to their air-conditioned bungalows for a siesta. The plan is to go to the place where I missed the Mongoose and hopefully, he will come out a little earlier so I can see more clearly.

We left camp at 3:30 sharp and saw a kudu cow along the way. By 4:33 we’re set up in the blind and waiting. An hour or so later a troop of Vervet Monkeys showed up for a drink and by 5:47 were gone. We hear thunder in the distance and can smell rain in the air. The temperature dropped a bit, and it is actually comfortable. The sun will set at six o’clock, so we have about forty minutes of the Safari left.

Some lightening was visible, way off in the distance and I actually had a few rains drops fall on me. The rainy season is quickly approaching, and this parched place is in dire need of water for the habitat.

The final sunset fell and after about twenty minutes all shooting light had faded. As Hameed called the car, I got up to stretch and thanked GOD for this wild place and the blessings I have had hunting here the past eleven days.

The rain started to fall the closer we got to camp and for a stretch of time it rained quite hard. We remain hopeful it clears by the morning so we can make our charter flight back to N’Djamena.

Back in camp, a light rain was falling so I went straight to my room for a shower.

We relived the Safari in conversation over a couple of whiskeys then had an awesome meal of fondue from several species we collected. There was Kudu, Gazelle, Bushbuck, Oribi and Spurwing Goose. This was served along with potatoes au gratin. I passed on desert and opted for my favorite cigar and a whiskey to celebrate the successful Safari.
Chad fondue.jpg

We talked until well past ten then called it a night. The charter will arrive between eight and nine in the morning so I’ll have plenty of time to pack then. I fell asleep my last night in Chad saying my prayers of thanks, I have been truly blessed.

Congrats and thanks for sharing! Some really nice game you were able to take!!

Day 13

Its nice to wake without an alarm! This morning I slept until a little after six then went for a light breakfast. Francois and I spoke about the Safari and the good times that we shared. I went and got my bags packed as the plane will arrive 8:30 and about 8:15 we heard it pass overhead.

As we drove to the strip, the morning air was fragrant from all of the new growth as the vegetation is starting to flower as a result of the recent rains.

The pilot informed us that the aviation fuel shortage will most likely not be sorted out until the end of the month. That explains the change in my flight back to Paris. I had notification last week the flight would now stop in Abuja, Nigeria so I suspect that is to refuel for the flight to Paris.

I said my goodbyes to the team, a great bunch of men I am honored to have hunted with. I thanked Francois for a wonderful Safari and told him I hope we can hunt together again someday.

Melcom and I boarded the Grand Caravan and took off for N’djamena. The flight was smooth and we touched down just after ten. As before, there were people waiting for us to take care of the luggage and assist Melcom with getting checked in for his flight home at 1:30. My flight leaves at 7:30 so I will spend the afternoon at the hotel getting caught up on emails.

Chad is certainly not a Safari destination for everyone, it is unique in itself. As evidenced in Sudan recently, political tensions can always change, and this region seems to have historical issues. So, when planning any trip abroad, one must be aware of the situation, ask a lot of questions and make his own decision on the risk. I never once felt uneasy, there was a man from the company with me from the time I entered the airport building before passport control to the point where he delivered me back there on my departure. Communications are excellent and we could stay apprised of all events happening in the country as well as Sudan.

Without hesitation I can recommend Phillippe Bernone of Club Faune for making the arrangements for the Safari. I highly recommend Francois Guillet, he is an excellent hunter, always in good spirits and a pleasure to hunt with. ACN (Association Chasse Et Nature) is the only Safari company operating in Chad today. With very limited quota they only take 6 Safaris per year and are booking now for 2025 and 2026.

I am happy I made the decision to go, I have made new friends and new memories that I will have for a lifetime.

Thanks for sharing. Based on the detail of the report, I could have been sitting next to you in the blind. I have always wanted to go Chad and regret not going with Alain Lefol some many moons again. I can put it back on bucket list along with Uganda.

Thanks for sharing. Based on the detail of the report, I could have been sitting next to you in the blind. I have always wanted to go Chad and regret not going with Alain Lefol some many moons again. I can put it back on bucket list along with Uganda.
Thanks for the compliment, I don’t fancy myself a writer but more of a chronicler. Basically I write it as I see it.
It’s a great hunt and you will absolutely enjoy it so put it back on your list.

Last edited:
Congrats John Ed on a great safari to an interesting destination! We don’t see hunting reports from Chad every day, that’s for sure. I loved all your animals but the quality of that wide WGK and giant warthog are exceptional. You were successful for the two most unique and prestigious animals in Chad, the Western Greater Kudu and the Red-fronted Gazelle in one trip. That’s not easy to do. Well done!

E259156B-45BA-49FC-A12D-1BF5EF474A0B.jpeg

Patas Monkey

Congrats John Ed on a great safari to an interesting destination! We don’t see hunting reports from Chad every day, that’s for sure. I loved all your animals but the quality of that wide WGK and giant warthog are exceptional. You were successful for the two most unique and prestigious animals in Chad, the Western Greater Kudu and the Red-fronted Gazelle in one trip. That’s not easy to do. Well done!
Thanks @Scott CWO, game populations seemed good, but as you can see from the report we only saw a few Red Fronted Gazelle. They typically don’t go to water but get their moisture from the food they ingest. My Ram had a stomach full of Marula fruit!

Great report! fantastic animals!
Thanks for sharing!

Excellent report well written with tons of Info letting us almost be there with you without the heat and smells.

Well done thank you and be blessed.

Congratulations on some great and unique trophies. I never expected to see a hunt report from Chad on AH!
The game numbers appear very good from your report. Did you discuss with them what they do for anti-poaching in area? I can’t imagine the challenges a place like Chad presents trying to manage a hunting area.

awesome report and congrats on a fantastic safari! thank you for sharing it with us.

Wow, what an amazing adventure. Thank you for taking us along, like others have said, I felt like I was in the blind with you guys. That Warthog is a stud, congrats.

You take the most interesting hunts. Places many of us dream of, but will never be able to go to. Congrats on some fine and rare trophies. I always enjoy your writing style. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. Nice pictures too.
Bruce

Amazing report. It’s always a pleasure to read your hunt reports about places most of us can only dream about. Looking forward to your next report

Great report, thanks

Great report, congratulations on some incredible animals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northerngos

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.