Boot question

I like Russell's others like Courtney's. However, in reality, anything you are comfortable in will work in the area your are talking about. If you like Salomon's maybe their all-terrain running shoes? I use the following in USPSA competitions.

For perspective Buzz Charlton (Zimbabwe PH) guides hunts in flip flops.
Those are one of my favorite. I have a pair of those.

My choice is something comfortable, relatively light, mederate tread, and low rise with canvas gaiters to keep out the thorns and debris. I can walk all day long in my Russell Thula Thulas with Texas Hunt Company gaiters. Were I to get something off the rack right now I'd go with a pair of Keen Targhee 3 low rises and some Boyt Harness Company canvas gaiters since the Texas Hunt Co. ones seem to have dissapeared. otherwise if your Meindls are comfortable for long walks in the some heat go with them. Good hunting.

It depends where you are going to hunt. I took lightweight hikers, to the Kalahari, big mistake. Flip flops would have been better in the sand. Actually good old tennis shoes would have been better for walking in the sand.

The harder the boot sole, the louder the boot. A raised heel is also louder. But, quiet boots aren’t necessarily good for hiking long distance with a heavy pack.
I bring trail running shoes, Courtney’s, and in colder weather, Merrill’s.

I wish I could hunt in moccasins.

So where do you plan to use your boots?

If wet hilly ground is where you are headed, then something like @JLF recommends would be spot on. They would be the last thing that I would take to anywhere I have been in Africa.

For most of Southern Africa, something like the Courtney Selous or Russell PH are hard to beat. My feet live more comfortably in Courtney, but that is a personal preference. If you are headed to the Caprivi or Zambezi Delta, you need something that works well submerged - gore tex is of zero value. You need something like Danner's jungle boot or even the old military surplus model. For true mountains (few in Africa outside Ethiopia and a few corners of Tanzania), you need a true mountain boot. I personally love Kenetrek for true alpine hunting, but meindl also makes a quality product as do others.

In most of Southern Africa, the challenge is noise not terrain. If you are wearing a heavy boot with an aggressive sole as you try to approach game, you will soon find that neither your PH nor your tracker is still your best new friend.

This (y)

I've been watching hunting videos on YouTube from Australia.
Seen several PH's hunting Water Buffalo...BAREFOOT!
However I've yet to see a client do this, except to maybe make a water crossing.
They grow 'em tough down under.

I take a pair of Merrell light hiking shoes for the trip and backup, a heavier pair for the actual hunt, but still light and comfortable.

I wore Rocky Outbacks on both safaris. I’ll wear them on safari three as well. On my first in Zim, my PH wore “river shoes” (sandals) and in Namibia the PH wore Courtney’s.

The harder the boot sole, the louder the boot. A raised heel is also louder. But, quiet boots aren’t necessarily good for hiking long distance with a heavy pack.
I bring trail running shoes, Courtney’s, and in colder weather, Merrill’s.

A company in the Natal Midlands called Groud Cover makes a sheepskin boot for motorcyclists. It works like a charm when hunting jackal into the early moring hours, and ive taken them for a good few miles on hunts as well. They are warm and very comfortable. Usually take them with for around the fire after I’ve kicked the Courteneys off, and had a shower.
IMG_0375.JPG

I have several types of boots, from Underarmour, Danners, Irish Setters and Crispi boots. I used them depending on where I'm hunting. I'm in the planning stages of another trip to South Africa, and I've decided to take these boots with me. I bought them at MidwayUSA at 1/2 the price, they are lightweight, super comfortable, and I believe will be perfect for hunting the East Cape. They may work for you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.31.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.31.32 AM.png
    880.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.31.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.31.33 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 164
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.31.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.31.36 AM.png
    1,019.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.31.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.31.39 AM.png
    546.4 KB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.31.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 9.31.41 AM.png
    589.3 KB · Views: 151
For me it’s been Merrell Moab non-goretex boots as my primary set of boots and I wear a second pair of light boots (Chukkas on the plane - as a back up in case things go fubar).

covers me for all situations.

Last edited:
I wear Danners daily myself. The “Acadia” style with vibram soles. I have three pair two of Ft. Lewis for work that get rotated and one for home/hiking/hunting. My pair for HHH use are Canadians the next will likely be the grouse model dark brown with khaki gortex where my current are all leather. IME Excellent ankle support sturdy and can be rebuilt as there stitched construction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.