So now I’ve found a Strasser straight pull. Anyone know these?

What I know is not much: Austrian maker near Salzburg, and - by same designer as for Blaser straight pull rifles.

All in all, coming from good gene pool, but real quality and performance... I can not comment. never used it.

The last bit? Is that the factories are on the same grounds? Where is that place?

Looking Google maps it appears that Sauer and Mauser are in the same building and Blaser in another. It looks like other buildings are on the grounds too.

It’s in southern Germany close to Switzerland and Lichtenstein.

Unlike a lot of holding companies that seem more interested in squeezing margin, the L&O group appears willing to invest in product. The reincarnation of Rigby’s Rising bite double is an example. Rigby is also an example of how the company streamlines traditional relationships. Pre-WWII Rigby bolt actions used barreled actions from Mauser’s Oberndorf factory. Today they have a similar relationship, only with a sister company. And yes, by having multiple products produced in the same complex, each realizes production savings due to shared supply chain, and quantity materiel buys.

I think, on the whole, we benefit from such business models. They are designed after all to make products more competitive while increasing margin. Were it not for L&O, there would be no reborn Rigby at all, and no other English maker has had the wherewithal to create a line of semi-custom production rifles. And of course, like them or not, the Blaser is the most innovative design in a generation.

It does complicate the “my rifle is better than or just as good as yours” fireside or forum debate. Brand loyalty is harder to trumpet when the brands are really different products from the same company. Your Sako / Tikka example is one of the more obvious.

Red Leg,
Several brands under one roof. Sort of the General Motors of firearms, so to speak, which is good, I suppose: shared technology, supply chain, marketing, customer service, etc.

Red Leg,
Several brands under one roof. Sort of the General Motors of firearms, so to speak, which is good, I suppose: shared technology, supply chain, marketing, customer service, etc.
I believe that is true normally usually most of the time. The danger comes when consolidation limits competition. But I think we are a long way from that yet.

I believe that is true normally usually most of the time. The danger comes when consolidation limits competition. But I think we are a long way from that yet.

I think the secret is good sound management. Germans seem to have a thing for meticulous organization and attention to detail. In view of that it looks like their future is secure.
I've been reading this thread with great interest comparing the virtues of Blaser vs other high end guns ie. Rigby, H&H, and others. To me it looks like comparing apples and oranges. Turnbolt vs straight pull are two entirely different systems. I can't comment on Blaser as I've never handled one. However, it has peaked my interest to a degree that I might check one out at SCI this year just to see what all the fuss is about. The closest I came to one in real life was at FTW Ranch a couple years ago. The guy shooting next to me had one and he was having a hell of a time making it work. I didn't find out what his problem was, but it turned me off on Blaser.

All these high end multi thousand dollar pieces may be wonderful, but will they shoot any better or kill anything any deader than my simple Winchester model 70 375 H&H? I may be too practical but I would be scared to death to take such a work of art into the bush for a rough hunt. To damage one is just not worth the risk and my ego says I don't need any such status symbol to take all the game I desire. Nice to look at and read about but way, way out of my price range. My $ 2000.00 MRC 404 Jeffery is about my limit--for now.

Nothing to do with status symbols or egos.... Possibly with some people but they fkd anyway..... I have or had firearms made by mass producers up to my side lock rigby 470......and most I liked regardless of cost or lack of cost or wouldn't have bought them ....if I see something and like it's looks and if when I pick it up it feels good then am stuffed as want it....so tend not to pick them up these days and hurry off :D

Sako, Tikka and Valmet come from the same factory, and there is no dividing wall, I know, I have been there.

Currently owned by Beretta, by the way.

full
Happy British client in the centre with magnum .375 made by John Rigby and Co hanging on his shoulder . Picure was taken in 1965 . Excellent gun . I am on the left wearing my hat with my Ishapore shot-gun slung on my back . My partner is on left side holding the .3006 rifle belonging to my client . It was a successful Shikar. Rigby guns are very reliable. This genleman went on half a dozen Shikars with us and his gun never let us down.
However , l have only ever heard good things about Blaser . German guns are very robust.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 307275 Happy British client in the centre with magnum .375 made by John Rigby and Co hanging on his shoulder . Picure was taken in 1965 . Excellent gun . I am on the left wearing my hat with my Ishapore shot-gun slung on my back . My partner is on left side holding the .3006 rifle belonging to my client . It was a successful Shikar. Rigby guns are very reliable. This genleman went on half a dozen Shikars with us and his gun never let us down.
However , l have only ever heard good things about Blaser . German guns are very robust.
Cool , Mr. Rahman ! Hey , where did you keep your spare shotgun shells ? I see a lot of Indian cinemas where the Hunter has a bandolier on his shoulder .
BTW , l prefer Blaser myself :)

such young men.
a bit like our politicians and police now.
all younger than me.
bruce.
I know , right ? When l was in my 20s , l was only bagging Maine deer with my .22 Savage Hi Power Model 99 . The good old days ended before l was born :(

Interesting thread. I've had my R8 for a couple of years now and I find it to be the ost accurate rifle I ever shot. Before I bought it I went to the NRA and SCI shows and looked at everything I could find in .375 and .416 including Winchester, Remington, CZ, Rigby, Weatherby, Browning, Kimber and more. Of all of them I only felt comfortable holding the Blaser, Kimber and Browning. The others didn't feel right to me. I finally narrowed it to the Kimber Caprivi and the Blaser. I ended up going for the Blaser and even got a Professional Succes Monza stock instead of the wood stock I originally wanted, it just felt better to hold. it took a few shots at the range for me to get comfortable with it. The straight pull is really not that difficult to get used to and once you do it is incredibly natural, smooth and fast. When I went to SA in May I had my rifle in the compact briefcase sized case. Easy to carry and find in stacks of long cases at customs! While the price may be high I find it well worth it and I had to save for a few years to afford it.

Hoss Delgado ,
our Garo trackers behind me had my satchel with them. In it would be some corned beef sandwiches which my mother would make me for outings, a water bottle , ethanol bottle , gauze , medical supplies and a box of 12 bore SG cartridges. I liked to keep my hands free for treks in the jungle . I kept four SG cartridges in the pocket on each side of my cotton shirt and my Imperial pocket knife , compass , money bag , potash vial and Shikar license in my trouser pockets.
On a related note , do not believe everything you read on books or see on television . Indian cinemas always show hunters as bad people .
Cool , Mr. Rahman ! Hey , where did you keep your spare shotgun shells ? I see a lot of Indian cinemas where the Hunter has a bandolier on his shoulder .
BTW , l prefer Blaser myself :)

such young men.
a bit like our politicians and police now.
all younger than me.
bruce.
Bruce Moulds , yes l was 23 years of age at the time .
Most young men in Bangladesh who are involved in shooting sports now , sadly think that you need a 12 bore 89 millimeter cartridge to shoot pigeon .
Through out my life l have never used anything but the 70 millimeter cartridge.

Most young men in Bangladesh who are involved in shooting sports now , sadly think that you need a 12 bore 89 millimeter cartridge to shoot pigeon .

My over/under shotgun is 12/76 (3 inch shell), and indeed you are right, as I have never used anything more then 12 ga, 2-3/4 (12/70) shell, for the birds, up to pheasant size. I dont have high birds in my area such as geese.
Good side of 12/76 gun, in my thinking is that it is proofed for higher pressures, and when using 12/70 loads it will simply last for ever even with high speed and high performance shells, which sometimes reach marginal pressures for average 12/70 guns.

However, for hunters living in EU - but possibly also for US shotgun owners, there is a dark cloud moving to our direction and that is non-lead shot as legal requirement, and even now very often required for waterfowl which depends from state to state.

And in case it becomes legal requirement 100% (waterfowl + upland birds) , then 12/76 ad 12/89 shells will find better practical use to compensate for lower performance of non-lead shot, or in general for very high birds.
Hope this non-lead day never to come, but... we will never know... till it comes, but in the mean time, I will stick to 12/70.

My over/under shotgun is 12/76 (3 inch shell), and indeed you are right, as I have never used anything more then 12 ga, 2-3/4 (12/70) shell, for the birds, up to pheasant size. I dont have high birds in my area such as geese.
Good side of 12/76 gun, in my thinking is that it is proofed for higher pressures, and when using 12/70 loads it will simply last for ever even with high speed and high performance shells, which sometimes reach marginal pressures for average 12/70 guns.

However, for hunters living in EU - but possibly also for US shotgun owners, there is a dark cloud moving to our direction and that is non-lead shot as legal requirement, and even now very often required for waterfowl which depends from state to state.

And in case it becomes legal requirement 100% (waterfowl + upland birds) , then 12/76 ad 12/89 shells will find better practical use to compensate for lower performance of non-lead shot, or in general for very high birds.
Hope this non-lead day never to come, but... we will never know... till it comes, but in the mean time, I will stick to 12/70.
This is most interesting , Mark Hunter. Out of curiosity what choke do you use ? My s686 from Beretta is a full choke over a modified choke .
One thing about Bangladesh which l am very proud of , is that our wild life department allows the use of AAA shot for geese and crane and l use this in my barrel with modified choke.

This is most interesting , Mark Hunter. Out of curiosity what choke do you use ? My s686 from Beretta is a full choke over a modified choke .

Sir, mr Rahman,
First I must tell you that beretta 686 silver pigeon was my first choice. However, when I was buying a shotgun with purchase permit in a pocket, there was only Beretta available in gauge 20 in local shop. The dealer was promising soon delivery of gauge 12, but it never arrived.

My backup option was browning b 525 O/U, 12 ga, and when my purchasing permit was about two weeks to expire I went for browning (and with another dealer).
It has: chromed backbored barrels, removable chokes, single selective trigger (of inertial type), ejectors, and chambered in 12/76.

It was delivered with 3 removable chokes:

- Full
- modified
- improved cylinder

And with some field experience, and with some training on clay pigeons, I came to permanent solution:
Lower barrel (fired first): modified
Upper barrel (fired second): full

This is usual sequence of firing in the field, although single selective trigger gives option to select..

The story does not end here, as boys will be boys and we like to play with toys (me first).

I often go for boar driven hunts, and in dense forest or bush on shorter range, for boar, shotgun slugs can be used.
Brenneke slug and similar are in my area generally known as "Brenneke" are designed with outer slant ribs in order to deform and pass through any choke.

But deforming on tight choke, (arguably) is not beneficial for external ballistic and accuracy, so although acceptable on my tests with modified and improved cylinder choke, I ordered additionally two cylinder chokes to try for better accuracy.

Finally with cylinder chokes, slug accuracy indeed improved.

As I shoot targets (rifle), I wanted to try shotgun slugs for even better accuracy, so from local back market i ordered iron metal sights (front and rear) which could be fitted on top rib: rear sight fits to rib air vents, and front sight to replace standard bead.
After installing the iron sights, when testing on target I could hit a coffee plate at 50 meters with both barrels.
So I was happy, of course.

But in real hunt this unnecessary, as with shotgun on running boar, I dont aim, I just point.
So later I removed these sights, and kept classic ways, with front bead only. Iron sights are now somewhere in a drawer in gun locker.

To conclude, for driven hunts, I use slugs with both barrels on cylinder chokes. For hunting birds using full and modified choke, while improved cylinder choke is resting in a drawer with iron sights.

Last edited:
Take-down is indeed a nice feature when traveling.. But if you want take down there are more options than Blaser..

I have a pre-1924 Mannlicher Schønauer (9,5x57 or .375 Rimless) built as a take down from factory and Holland&Holland have made quite a lot of take down Mauser sporters....all you need is a coin to take them apart..they are not overly expensive on the used market either..

Take-down is indeed a nice feature when traveling.. But if you want take down there are more options than Blaser..

I have a pre-1924 Mannlicher Schønauer (9,5x57 or .375 Rimless) built as a take down from factory and Holland&Holland have made quite a lot of take down Mauser sporters....all you need is a coin to take them apart..they are not overly expensive on the used market either..
Oh come on. I have a pristine original pre-war Wesley Richards .318 takedown. I think, it is what most would agree is representative state of the art in a well made take down of the period. It is an interesting little rifle that I love. It is reasonably accurate for a take down. ..... That is until one takes it down and puts it back together. Everything works the same - just not to precisely the exact same point of aim. Dismount and remount the scope and things get more interesting. Oh it is minute of buffalo out of the case - but it isn’t a buffalo caliber - at least now. That has been my experience in all interrupted screw systems. Cool technology for the period but somewhat archaic eighty or ninety years later. A Blaser R8 returns exactly to zero time after time after time after time. And with no thread wear to the barrel or take down system.

Oh and that other thing - one can pay 10-15k for the WR take down (in a single caliber) if you can find one or order a Blaser Professional from Europtic tomorrow for under 5. And a TD H&H in a DG caliber in excellent shape will run at least 13-16 K - in really nice condition closer to 20. Hardly a viable option for most or logical option for anyone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShelbyFogg

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross