I'd rather hug my CZ 550 ...

full
That's about all I can afford for now. I like my .375 H&H and don't really have use for it.
I always dreamed of take down rifles, safaris and hunting.
I do like pretty rifles and classic rifles.
One day I will splurge and buy something special.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the R8 @BeeMaa bought Mrs Beemaa was a really good looking rifle that ticks that box. I've only ever seen it lying in the case on its left side - any chance of some more pictures from all angles? I am firmly in the double camp for the rest of my days, but as an engineer I really appreciate the creative and practical excellence that has gone into the R8.

I own both and both can be awesome. It’s not a debate with a right answer, it’s a discussion of preference. Despite anecdotal stories told here, there are many actual field reports on the forum by PH in favor of the R8. It’s reliability is well established. The Mauser was proven in war and has had many years time for reliability growth. Both can be had as wonderfully engraved and stocked as you may like or purposely utilitarian. I like blondes, you may prefer redheads. One is not better than the other.

I’ve seen a few of the new Rigbys and I’ve seen one Bolt action Heym.

I would take the Heym any day to a Rigby in the similar price bracket. Plus Heym do the 404 Jeffery’s.....
I agree I would go with a Martini Express Heym in .404J

Well, I already have my switch barrel rifle (not a Blaser, a Mauser M03) so I would go for the Heym Martini Express in .416 Rigby

at the risk of sounding common, can a rigby do anything a win70 can't?
of course if you want to go upmarket you could also consider the Dakota 76 traveller.
and for plains game a soroka single shot farquarson derivative.
bruce.
Of course the answer is no, both rifles will go bang and fire a bullet. But, to provide an analogy, a Buick will get you from place to place just as well as a Bentley, but the Bentley makes the ride a lot sweeter.

I genuinely appreciate the fact that you have used one. Most critics have perhaps seen one. I am fortunate to have an extensive gun room with what most would consider contains some rather well made rifles of one form or another. That gun room contains several doubles as well.

However, I simply can not come up with a better solution for hunting Africa (or anywhere else that requires a plane ride) than a R8. The multiple barrels are of some interest, but the rifle's transportability, accuracy, ergonomics, and trigger are better than any other production rifle of which I am aware. That is what interests me. That doesn't mean that I won't take another rifle (see below) - but none of them are a better solution.

For instance, I love my .318 Westley Richards takedown, the sale of which would underwrite several R8's. Ergonomics are very good and transportability is superb. Trigger - after much work is acceptable, and accuracy is ok. By any reasonable standards other than nostalgia and craftmanship, it is not nearly the rifle of a basic R8. My Libhart .404 is a modern masterpiece. I have yet to bring it to Africa because I can't improve upon the sheer utility of a R8 in .375.

I keep hearing about these PHs who don't care for the Blaser. I have yet to meet one. Those who have handled mine, have been impressed. They will certainly have found no issue with its performance on game.

I am heading out to Zambia tomorrow with a Rigby in .275. I love the rifle, and we will use it on an assortment of PG. It will perform superbly. But, my R8 with .300 Win Mag barrel attached would do everything just a tad better.
Safe travels and good hunting!

Well, I already have my switch barrel rifle (not a Blaser, a Mauser M03) so I would go for the Heym Martini Express in .416 Rigby
Of course we all know Mauser is part of Blaser group.

I think the R8 @BeeMaa bought Mrs Beemaa was a really good looking rifle that ticks that box. I've only ever seen it lying in the case on its left side - any chance of some more pictures from all angles? I am firmly in the double camp for the rest of my days, but as an engineer I really appreciate the creative and practical excellence that has gone into the R8.
The timber stock belonging to my bride...
1627940012814.png

1627940081419.png

1627940041066.png

1627940107249.png

And Rigby and Blaser both belong to L&O Holding. Along with Sauer, SIG and as you mentioned Mauser (among several others). So a purchase of either a Rigby or Blaser supports both of them.
This trophy sized Armadillo was not very impressed by the R8. He reckons he would've felt less slighted if taken with a Rigby.
It is apparent that your life was in danger. Excellent job stopping the charge of that monster.

Of course, but I do bring the M03 up, because it has the advantages of a modern switch barrel system and its portability, but with an all steel construction, traditional turn bolt and separate steel magazines.

So it looks like any other bolt action rifle, with classic lines. It incorporates less plastic in the action/trigger group if that’s important. But it is not a straight pull, so slower, a bit longer because the magazine is in front of the trigger and definitely heavier than the Blaser.

maybe ethics is about not wounding it in the first place.
bruce.
Precisely. It has absolutely nothing to do with method of take. The meaning of this word seems to be somewhat misunderstood.
A small example; You walk into a store and a client is trying to sell his firearm to the owner. You like it and are interested in buying it directly from the owner of the firearm before the owner of the store buys it (whether he is interested or not) because the price is great. It isn't illegal but it is unethical.
It's ok to kill an animal by any legal means under legal circumstances, it isn't ethical to make an animal suffer if it can be avoided...Under legal hunting circumstances.
What is legal and what is ethical can at times mesh but not always.

neither "versus" the other.....they "compliment and enhance" the other.

Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg