Blaser 500 Jeffery

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I joined the 500 club today, I landed on a Blaser R8 Professional Hunter in 500 Jeffery which has a steel receiver and a recoil reducer in the stock, I also bought a Blaser RD17 red dot to top it off.

For reloading I bought a set of CH4D reloading dies along with some Bertram brass and 535grn Woodleigh RNSN projectiles. I plan on using this initial 535grn loading for Brumbies and Scrub bulls, the plan is to load 600grn Woodleigh PPSN projectiles for Buffalo.

I must say I am also very happy to be able to load for this 500 Jeffery using Aussie made brass and Aussie made projectiles!

upload_2020-6-12_19-6-17.png

upload_2020-6-12_19-6-46.png

Always nice to bring a new rifle home!

Very nice! Is this your first R8 or do you own others? I ask because another barrel will be in your future!

Have you weighed it?

Very nice! Is this your first R8 or do you own others? I ask because another barrel will be in your future!

Have you weighed it?
Yeah first Blaser for me, I had the dealer weigh it before I made the final decision to buy it and they said it is right on 10 pounds without the red dot so with the dot it should be around 10.5 pounds.

Best of luck with the impending reconstructive shoulder surgery. ;)
haha nah not too worried about it, I'm currently hunting with a 458 Lott that is under 9.5 pounds so a 500 at 10.5 pounds with a recoil reducer should be ok, while I'm hunting that is, zeroing it off the bench aint gonna be much fun though........

Oh boy, this is going to be fun to read, a fast shooting rifle in an expensive caliber to shoot, but since you can afford the rifle, I'm guessing it's not a problem. I hope you have some sort of practice load worked out in advance. Are woodleighs cheaper in Oz to the point that you can plink?

Oh boy, this is going to be fun to read, a fast shooting rifle in an expensive caliber to shoot, but since you can afford the rifle, I'm guessing it's not a problem. I hope you have some sort of practice load worked out in advance. Are woodleighs cheaper in Oz to the point that you can plink?

Big Woodleigh bullets are around $1.60 each, give or take a bit.

haha nah not too worried about it, I'm currently hunting with a 458 Lott that is under 9.5 pounds so a 500 at 10.5 pounds with a recoil reducer should be ok, while I'm hunting that is, zeroing it off the bench aint gonna be much fun though........

Sand bag behind the butt - simple.(y)

Very nice.
Congratulations on the newest addition.

It looks like yours came with sling slots already instead of just sling swivel studs.
All the ones I've see up to this point just had the hole for sling swivels.
Maybe do us a favor and post a detailed picture of this?

Very nice.
Congratulations on the newest addition.

It looks like yours came with sling slots already instead of just sling swivel studs.
All the ones I've see up to this point just had the hole for sling swivels.
Maybe do us a favor and post a detailed picture of this?
It also came with a thicker recoil pad than what is standard, yeah when I get it I'll put up a heap of pics.

They make them in 375H&H, 416 Rem Mag, 458 Lott and 500 Jeffery. I think that's all the big calibres?
You are correct for Blaser made barrels with the exception of the 10.3x60R.
Also, there is a company called J. Sip & Sons that will make any caliber you would like.
A member here, @Glenn Slaven, had one made in 470CAPSTICK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg