Blaser 500 Jeffery

I'm confident @Aussie_Hunter can out shoot most of us with the boomers and the short bolt throw just makes him that much faster. He's got better form than most I've seen posting videos with a .500 Jeffrey. I had my doubts when he started this adventure given the videos I had seen and the light weight of the rifle, but he dispelled them handily proving his prowess with the rifle in a practical manner. I'm very interested to see the .450 Rigby he's lining up next.

Of course I won't be able to match the speed of that rifle either as I'm much slower with my "belt fed" .458 Lott #1...even with all that barrel rise.

This guy has some good footage, CZ, R8, slow powder burn etc...

I'm confident @Aussie_Hunter can out shoot most of us with the boomers and the short bolt throw just makes him that much faster. He's got better form than most I've seen posting videos with a .500 Jeffrey. I had my doubts when he started this adventure given the videos I had seen and the light weight of the rifle, but he dispelled them handily proving his prowess with the rifle in a practical manner. I'm very interested to see the .450 Rigby he's lining up next.

Of course I won't be able to match the speed of that rifle either as I'm much slower with my "belt fed" .458 Lott #1...even with all that barrel rise.
You'd love it Forrest! 9lbs is a little light in the pants, or shorts though ;

Last edited:

I'm sure he can. He can definitely outshoot me as far as rapid fire is concerned. My plan, of course (as it is for all of us), is to make the first shot count and be able to get a 2nd shot in within a couple of seconds if need be. Nice shooting all

Appreciate the kind words @Forrest Halley. I am sure the R8 haters really hate me after seeing that video haha.
I love the challenge of shooting the big calibres/cartridges as you would know there so so much more to it than shooting the average size rifle cartridges most of us are used to. Not to mention I quite often hunt dangerous game on my own in really thick stuff so I like to make sure I can take care of business if I have to. I am getting there with my Rigby, shooting 550grn Woodleighs at 2240fps so ballistics is still in 500 Jeffery territory anyway. Things I'm struggling with a bit is LOP, rifle is a little long for me and getting back on target quickly with the open sights, but I'm getting used to it.
lol at the belt fed Ruger #1 comment

I'm sure he can. He can definitely outshoot me as far as rapid fire is concerned. My plan, of course (as it is for all of us), is to make the first shot count and be able to get a 2nd shot in within a couple of seconds if need be. Nice shooting all
(y) That first shot is nearly always the most critical one

3 Shots with the Rigby shooting steel plates at 50 yards. Like I said in my previous post still plenty of room for improvement but I'm getting there with it.

This guy has some good footage, CZ, R8, slow powder burn etc...

That guy is pretty good.
You'd love it Forrest! 9lbs is a little light in the pants, or shorts though ;

That rifle looks to be stirring a lively internal debate within the shooter as to the merits of a reloading action and subsequent shot. I'm pretty crazy, but that looks like a lot for my lightweight frame to handle. I'm afraid I might fall in love with it.
Appreciate the kind words @Forrest Halley. I am sure the R8 haters really hate me after seeing that video haha.
I love the challenge of shooting the big calibres/cartridges as you would know there so so much more to it than shooting the average size rifle cartridges most of us are used to. Not to mention I quite often hunt dangerous game on my own in really thick stuff so I like to make sure I can take care of business if I have to. I am getting there with my Rigby, shooting 550grn Woodleighs at 2240fps so ballistics is still in 500 Jeffery territory anyway. Things I'm struggling with a bit is LOP, rifle is a little long for me and getting back on target quickly with the open sights, but I'm getting used to it.
lol at the belt fed Ruger #1 comment
I'm a semi reformed R8 hater. I admire the design, but just can't commit to it yet. Hehe I'm not afraid to do a little dancing and get the #1 chugging along turning out a pile of hot brass. It's not as pretty as just sliding the bolt back and forth like a rattlesnake strikes, but I'm still faster than some people are with a bolt gun.
(y) That first shot is nearly always the most critical one
Without a good first shot it's very difficult to make a counting second shot. I have only ever done it a handful of times where I missed the first and made good on the second. Without a fast action, I'd say it would be improbable.

That guy is pretty good.

That rifle looks to be stirring a lively internal debate within the shooter as to the merits of a reloading action and subsequent shot. I'm pretty crazy, but that looks like a lot for my lightweight frame to handle. I'm afraid I might fall in love with it.

I'm a semi reformed R8 hater. I admire the design, but just can't commit to it yet. Hehe I'm not afraid to do a little dancing and get the #1 chugging along turning out a pile of hot brass. It's not as pretty as just sliding the bolt back and forth like a rattlesnake strikes, but I'm still faster than some people are with a bolt gun.

Without a good first shot it's very difficult to make a counting second shot. I have only ever done it a handful of times where I missed the first and made good on the second. Without a fast action, I'd say it would be improbable.
Forest, you have to experience the Jeffery in your life!
The cost to shoot it, just in practice will make recoil an afterthought ; you'll hit the target.

As for the 458 Lott, You have the nicest Looking Rifle, imo.
I'd shelve it personally ;

Forest, you have to experience the Jeffery in your life!
The cost to shoot it, just in practice will make recoil an afterthought ; you'll hit the target.

As for the 458 Lott, You have the nicest Looking Rifle, imo.
I'd shelve it personally ;
I have experienced the .505 Gibbs. It was quite nice. In my opinion a wildcat .510 On the Gibbs case would be just splendid. I don't know anyone locally that even has a .500 Jeffrey and I'm sure if I shot one I'd be ballroom dancing backwards like the rest.

Thank you, my Lott is special to me. I think it's a good rifle indeed, but there are nicer rifles out there. One gentleman has a very nice .375 Flanged. These big rifles, we are mere custodians of them until a time comes when we can bear to make them speak no longer. Then we must either cradle them and tell stories of the hunts past or pass them on to a younger hunter to let them live anew.

I have experienced the .505 Gibbs. It was quite nice. In my opinion a wildcat .510 On the Gibbs case would be just splendid. I don't know anyone locally that even has a .500 Jeffrey and I'm sure if I shot one I'd be ballroom dancing backwards like the rest.

Thank you, my Lott is special to me. I think it's a good rifle indeed, but there are nicer rifles out there. One gentleman has a very nice .375 Flanged. These big rifles, we are mere custodians of them until a time comes when we can bear to make them speak no longer. Then we must either cradle them and tell stories of the hunts past or pass them on to a younger hunter to let them live anew.
Very well said ..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topforx

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you