Big bore recoil

In addition to the previous postings I add 2 considerations:
1. recoil is worst when you aren't familiar with it- just as a trip seems longest the first time. What I do is start a rifle that has recoil potential with light loads, then work up to full power in several steps and after I have adapted to the recoil at each step.
2. To keep my mind off of the recoil I try to focus on seeing the bullet leave the muzzle and travel to the target. This is similar in concept to being distracted from recoil when shooting at game.

Recoil management is vastly mental and the rest is technique. It's very possible for you to learn how to manage larger calibers with the tips stated above. Whatever you do, if you start flinching you'll need to start over and drop down in caliber to something like a .22LR quickly, or it'll impact you shooting other calibers you're used to.

Personally one of my favorite rifles to shoot is a M70 .375 H&H. I find it more enjoyable to shoot than most 300WM's, and have zero issues shooting it from a bench. Conversely I took have shot a .270 and a .30-06 that I absolutely couldn't stand. Again, I think a lot of it was mental and I didn't use good technique since it was "only" a .270 or .30-06.

One of the things that I think helped me is I love Turkey Hunting. I've always shot 3.5" shells regardless of if it was in my old Mossberg 835 or my Benelli Super Black Eagle. The only time I don't shoot 3.5" Shells is when I've killed a bird and I've switched to the .410. Over the last 8 years I've spent a lot of time, and a small fortune at the range patterning my 12ga guns with different shells, and different chokes. Now when I'm patterning, I'm almost always shooting off a bench, and taking 3 shots per choke/load. When I first started, I'd almost always sit to pattern the gun so my body could roll with the recoil. After time I quickly became used to it and can now sit at a bench with no issues. I've even had some range sessions that have been upwards of 75 or 100 shots to check pattern densities between different chokes at a variety of differences.
Like all the advice here on the forum, it is coming from great experiences over a great lot of years . There is however a perspective I would not make use off when shooting Dangerous Game hunting rifles.."shooting of a bench" there is not one aspect in a Dangerous Game scenario that correlates to shooting your rifle from a bench when you stalk a Dangerous Game animal.
Shooting your rifle in from shooting sticks is a more realistic exercise at all times when preparing for such a hunt.

Shooting from sticks surely is a difficult exercise but it tells you a lot about your shooting technique and give you a lot of insight in how the rifle performs after you took the first shot.

Like all the advice here on the forum, it is coming from great experiences over a great lot of years . There is however a perspective I would not make use off when shooting Dangerous Game hunting rifles.."shooting of a bench" there is not one aspect in a Dangerous Game scenario that correlates to shooting your rifle from a bench when you stalk a Dangerous Game animal.
Shooting your rifle in from shooting sticks is a more realistic exercise at all times when preparing for such a hunt.

Shooting from sticks surely is a difficult exercise but it tells you a lot about your shooting technique and give you a lot of insight in how the rifle performs after you took the first shot.
I shoot my .375's off a bench when swapping/zeroing scopes, confirming a scopes zero (if I haven't shot it in a while), or testing new loads for groupings. I want to control every possible variable before I get up and start shooting off sticks, kneeling, offhand, off a branch or something else.

Reading with interest has anyone tried one of these?
They get good reviews in the shotgun press.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 8.40.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 8.40.12 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 8.40.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 8.40.13 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 8.40.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-20 at 8.40.15 AM.png
    525.7 KB · Views: 58
The correct LOP, weight, and technique will all help to tame recoil, but the most effective way to reduce recoil is to install a muzzle brake.

Let the flaming begin...
The rifle design is a huge factor in recoil. Example: My wife weighs 130 lbs and is 69 yrs. young. My 20 gauge Franchi beats the crap out of her but she has shot my 460 Wby DGR with no ill affects. How can that be? The answer is that that Franchi does not fit her properly and the the 460 does. Also the wby comes with an excellent muzzle brake that helps a whole lot. I have put over 200 rounds thru this gun from a bench rest, Off sticks, and free hand with no recoil problems and have never been bitten by the scope. I am 73 and have read far too many articles critsizing this cartridge. I have shot several animals with this round including caribo, moose, cape buffalo, and even some plains game with exellent results and never a bruised shoulder and some " converted guides and PH's that had previously felt the 460 was just "too much gun"

The rifle design is a huge factor in recoil. Example: My wife weighs 130 lbs and is 69 yrs. young. My 20 gauge Franchi beats the crap out of her but she has shot my 460 Wby DGR with no ill affects. How can that be? The answer is that that Franchi does not fit her properly and the the 460 does.
There are 20 gauge loads out there that will give a concussion in only a few shots. The speed of the recoil delivery is where it matters. As a kid I could shoot a 7# .30-06 at 70 pounds with 180 grain bullets. I was struggling with a 5# 20 gauge firing high brass shells. I wanted to be anywhere else beside the clays range. Switched to a heavier gun...et voila! Changed the speed of the impulse enough to where I wasn't getting obliterated every shot.

Reading with interest has anyone tried one of these?
They get good reviews in the shotgun press.

Appears similar to what my Benelli Lupo 300 win mag has. Extremely effective in my Lupo.

I shoot my .375's off a bench when swapping/zeroing scopes, confirming a scopes zero (if I haven't shot it in a while), or testing new loads for groupings. I want to control every possible variable before I get up and start shooting off sticks, kneeling, offhand, off a branch or something else.
To zero my red dots, I too shoot off a bench with one large exception. the bench rest I use holds both the fore end and back stock but has an open back rest meaning unlike a lead sled the stock recoils completely back into my shoulder. I am not looking for the rest to take any recoil out, I just want it to give me rock steady shots to insure the red dot is spot on. then I never shoot of a rest other than sticks again.

I had a friends son who had a pretty light BAR in 338 WM. He was thinking of putting a muzzle brake on it. I let him shoot my 500 Jeffery then he shot his 338 again. He said there was no need for a muzzle brake lol

I just realized yesterday morning that my Benelli Super Black Eagle turkey gun with 3.5” Apex Ammo #9 TSS is the absolute worst, most violent recoiling gun in my safe. I would take my 500 NE over this combo any day.

I just realized yesterday morning that my Benelli Super Black Eagle turkey gun with 3.5” Apex Ammo #9 TSS is the absolute worst, most violent recoiling gun in my safe. I would take my 500 NE over this combo any day.
Mossberg 695 with 3" Magnum slugs is my worst. I feel like the perception is amplified as we try to be precise. Shooting as a bird where I'm slapping the trigger doesn't bother me at all. Trying to get through that trigger carefully knowing there's a whooping on the other end...that takes guts.

Before you buy a big bore shoot with more big bore rifles from someone else.

Then ask yourself do you still need a big bore .40 and above caliber?
It's nice to have one and a lot of fun but I have also seen that some people struggle to enjoy their big bores.

Spending a bunch of money on one just to sell it 40 shots later is not a good financial decision and I see it often enough on our second hand market. Guys buy a big bore hunt that one buffalo in their life and then sell the rifle after 20 odd shot.

Big bores are not fun from the bench I only do it when I have to when sighting in. My 375 H&H with 300gr bullets from the bench is very mild compared to my Lott pushing 500gr at 2300fps.

You learn to roll with the recoil and by all means don't fight the recoil you will not win.
Hold the rifle tight especially the fore-end and let it push you back.

From a bench its impposible to do it and it is nasty after 5 shots or so.

Nothing I can add here with all the fine responses above!
Roll with it and the heavier the rifle the less it will kick ya! Some folks like the brakes and they do work (but loud) A good pad helps as some of the older guns the rubber is almost as hard as the stock!
I been shooting 10 gauges since pre teen and dads 458 too...
Now a HUGE BORE Addict including 600s 700s and 4 bore so just dont be "scaed"
HAPPY TRAILS

Before you buy a big bore shoot with more big bore rifles from someone else.

Then ask yourself do you still need a big bore .40 and above caliber?
It's nice to have one and a lot of fun but I have also seen that some people struggle to enjoy their big bores.

Spending a bunch of money on one just to sell it 40 shots later is not a good financial decision and I see it often enough on our second hand market. Guys buy a big bore hunt that one buffalo in their life and then sell the rifle after 20 odd shot.

Big bores are not fun from the bench I only do it when I have to when sighting in. My 375 H&H with 300gr bullets from the bench is very mild compared to my Lott pushing 500gr at 2300fps.

You learn to roll with the recoil and by all means don't fight the recoil you will not win.
Hold the rifle tight especially the fore-end and let it push you back.

From a bench its impposible to do it and it is nasty after 5 shots or so.

I fully agree with you.

Before making such a buy, one have to feel absolutely comfortable with rifles caliber 9,3mm or .375, and as written above, to shoot before a Big Bore, imho if possible caliber 45 because there is a clear difference between weapons caliber 40 and weapons caliber 45. Anyone who has in mind a rifle caliber 50 or above must perfectly master a rifle caliber 45.

Shooting from an bench, regardless of the caliber, cannot be avoided if you want to zeroing your rifle with or without a scope. It's not fun at Big Bores.

If it is worth buying such a weapon is difficult to answer. The fun of owning something like that often plays a major role. Either way, if you are not a professional and use this rifles only for what they are intended, these will always be used relatively rarely and the number of game shot with will be very limited. One can certainly use such weapons for other game species, but in my opinion there are much better cartridges for it as the Big Bores.

Yes, at least I did. I started out tensing up for the recoil. Boy did my 416 and 458 recoil! After a hundred rounds or so I relaxed in my trunk and presto! My body would sway with the reassuring push of recoil!

Of course, shoot big guns standing from a standing bench or Africa-type sticks. Never from a sitting position at a bench unless you want to feel pain.

One of these Caldwell/PAST 1/2" thick should pads keeps the black and blue marks away...

View attachment 523489

I'm a firm believer, and if you are used to shooting a 243, and you go and shoot a 30-06, you will notice the difference in recoil. The same applies to you shooting your 300, and stepping up to a bigger rifle. I stepped up from shooting 270, 7mm & 300 Weatherby Magnum rifles to a 375 H&H. The first couple of shots shocked me, but eventually learned the rifle and was able to tolerate and manage the recoil. I shot strictly from the sticks, and I believe I used the bench maybe 5 times. I'm now stepping up to a 416 Rem Mag. :) Oh, and I'm only 5'5" and weight roughly 160 lbs. :LOL::LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross