Ammo Box

Michael Dean

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
What do you use for an ammo box when traveling abroad, I know they have to be locked.

Thanks
Michael

You can use just about anything that you can lock. Some on here use a kids lunchbox. It doesn't have to be expensive, a cheap plastic ammo can works just as well as one that cost $50 more.

All of the major sporting goods retailers have lockable ammo storage boxes. If you are planning to fly with it remember that you can only take 5 Kg or 11 lbs of ammo on a plane.

I just bought a Pelican 1300. It might be just a little too big, as about 6 boxes of 404 Jeff or smaller ammo fits. However, it weighs more that the 5kg/11 lbs limit. The slightly smaller Pelican 1200 might be the perfect size.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/protector/1200

This is my Pelican 1300.

upload_2019-2-2_15-9-13.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 4.25.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 4.25.26 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 241
1200 is what I have, works great for my needs. Can't remember the exact weight empty but don't think it's over 3-4lbs empty.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Pelican 12o0 Case using MTM bases to separate the cartridges and keep them safe.
IMG_1419_zpsbdee52e4.jpg

I just bought a Pelican 1300. It might be just a little too big, as about 6 boxes of 404 Jeff or smaller ammo fits. However, it weighs more that the 5kg/11 lbs limit. The slightly smaller Pelican 1200 might be the perfect size.

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/protector/1200

This is my Pelican 1300.

View attachment 266436

I use the Pelican 1200 and I love it. I can fit 6 boxes of ammo in it if I remove the foam, and my 416 rem ammo barely fits when sitting upright. 6 boxes does put me over weight. I can carry 4 boxes and leave the foam in. Honestly, I can’t imagine needing more then 4 boxes for anything less then a full bag hunt.

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0698.JPG

All of the major sporting goods retailers have lockable ammo storage boxes. If you are planning to fly with it remember that you can only take 5 Kg or 11 lbs of ammo on a plane.
I thought it was 11# per caliber.
Or can I have two cases, one for each caliber that weigh up to 11# each?

I thought it was 11# per caliber.
Or can I have two cases, one for each caliber that weigh up to 11# each?

Nope, just #11 per person. Of ammunition , but sometimes they will weigh the case also. Depends on which gate attendant you get. I have had to read them their rules before and take the ammo out to be weighed.

Nope, just #11 per person. Of ammunition , but sometimes they will weigh the case also. Depends on which gate attendant you get. I have had to read them their rules before and take the ammo out to be weighed.
I just checked South African Airways and it allows 5 kg per license holder.
Since both the firearms we are using are in my name, I am the license holder and therefore only allowed 5 kg total and 200 rounds per caliber.
Shouldn't be too much of a problem considering I get to take out the weight of the case and only weigh the ammo.

Still having a problem finding the actual chapter and verse in the TSA rules on ammo.
Little help?

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.09.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.09.51 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 188
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.10.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.10.06 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 261
My ammo box is a Pelican camera box that I removed the foam padding.

Most commercial passenger air carriers conform to ICAO 5 kilos limit so there aren't five hundred different regulations.

My ammo box is a Pelican camera box that I removed the foam padding.

Most commercial passenger air carriers conform to ICAO 5 kilos limit so there aren't five hundred different regulations.

Including or excluding the weight of the case?

On Deltas's website it states:

upload_2019-2-3_7-48-8.png

From ICAO:

With the approval of
the air operator,
cartridges 5 kg
maximum gross
weight per person for
sporting purposes, in
checked baggage
only.
All other instances,
including any other
ammunition,
cartridges, flares,
signal devices, and
fireworks.
“with the approval of the
operator(s), as checked
baggage only, securely boxed
cartridges for sporting
purposes, in Division 1.4S, in
quantities not exceeding 5 kg
gross mass per person for that
person’s own use, excluding
ammunition with explosive or
incendiary projectiles.
Allowances for more than one
person must not be combined
into one or more packages;”

Delta, an anti-gun, anti-hunting airline, has their own interpretation. It's why they will never see me on one of their planes nor recommend them to anyone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg