Ammunition Travel Case

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by WestCo, Mar 17, 2016.

1. WestCo

WestCo AH Member

Hunted:
    Zimbabwe
    Wanted to get some opinions from those who have been traveling by air as to what is their preference for a hard sided, lockable ammunition travel case. It will be for taking approx 100 rounds of factory 375 H&H ammo with me from the US to Zim.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
    CAustin likes this.

2. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    On my last trip I took an extra scope with me. I will continue to do this in the future and all scopes will be on detachable rings to ease the ability to switch scopes if the need arises.

As such I bought a Pelican case that I could put the extra scope in along with my ammo boxes.

CAustin and Velo Dog like this.

3. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    I was actually taking a look at these myself this week. I have an MTM case guard 100 ammo case, nice case but not lockable. I found some Plano models that have a built in place to slide a lock through. 50 round cases, I'm sure they also offer 100 round cases

4. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
  5. Hearties

Hearties AH Senior Member

Member of:
    SAHGCA, SA WIngshooters, CPS, FBSSC
    Hunted:
    RSA, Botswana
    SKB do some very nice cases - better value IMO than Pelican.

Rob404 likes this.

6. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Pelican case is what we used last time and I will use again in 2017. Used TSA locks on them. Model 1200 was what we used and got them off E-bay for less money than other places. They were new with foam. Took out the foam for the trip.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird New Member

You might use MTM dry survivor box...that is what I use for extra ammo box. You can lock it and it does not weigh much. Fits into my Tuffpak no problem. There are two sizes but for 375 you will need the larger.
    Before that I used an inexpensive metal cash box. I took out the coin tray. Has cheap lock you could pick with hairpin but it meets all the rules and works.

8. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    Seems like most of us agree. I use a Pelican case. Ammo, knife, a few other odds and ends, often comes back empty.

One advantage of putting a bunch of other stuff in the same case is that - at least in my experience - if you get asked what the ammo weights (you're only allowed 11 lbs), you say 10lbs, and if the conversation goes any further (it did once), and you're asked why the case weighs what it weighs, you say well, the 11 lbs doesn't include the weight of the case or anything else that's in it. End of story. Might even allow you to take a pound or two of extra ammo!

CAustin likes this.

9. thi9elsp

thi9elsp AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique
    I used an Americase ammo case and put it inside of my duffle bag. I thought that there was a limit on the number of rounds - 60 maybe per caliber when I went in 2011. I took 60 rounds 375 H&H and 40 rounds 30-06 for my buffalo and plains game. The case is about 5" x 5" x 15". I was able to put a knife and my range finder in there too.

10. Areaonereal

Areaonereal AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Amazon...Pellican 1200 should work fine...check dimesions..$35.00 plus lockable and very well made. Different colors possible...may want a bright one if it is removed from luggage for SAA requirements, differentuate from others on same flight with an odd color. Mine is Yellow and really stands out on the carosel.

11. JGRaider

JGRaider AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    B&C, DSC
    Hunted:
    US, Mexico, S Africa, Namibia
    I did the same with 7mmRemMag ammo, knives, etc. It is a very well made, lockable case

12. zephyr

zephyr AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Purchased my Pelicans from Tuffpak

13. Philip Glass

Philip Glass LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Pelican cases are just about the best. I have about 6 of them. I have bought a few because of different guns and ammo and I need it to not be too big but just the right size. I have a Pelican 1470 that I am using now which I like because it holds 5 boxes of .375 and just a little room for a few other things like a rangefinder etc. Of course you can take out some of the padding and customize to your needs.
    Regards,
    Philip
    P.S. Packing now.

Therack likes this.

14. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    I bought a Pelican 1200 and removed the glued in foam and put in my own foam packing. It'll hold 200 rds. of medium size ammo in boxes with room to stuff foam in around them.

15. Eddie P

Eddie P AH Veteran

In my limited experience, from the UK to Greenland via Denmark (total of 4 flights each way).

I was asked how much ammo I had, I guessed at 1.5 kg and they accepted that. I just filled in the paperwork at the desk myself on most flights and often didn't even open the gun case.

The only SN checks were on leaving the UK, leaving Greenland and entering the UK.

My 30 rounds of slug were in a cash tin in the peli case. On the flight from Copenhagen to Gatwick I was told that it wasn't acceptable. I had confirmation from the airline that it was ok. So we compromised and took the bolt out of the gun and put it into my other case.

I'm guessing most countries aren't so relaxed though.

16. norfolk shooter

norfolk shooter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASC
    Hunted:
    UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway (Scotland). RSA, North West
    one word pelican

17. Rolf_T

Rolf_T AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Funny, I just ordered last week a Pelican Storm IM2050 for my hunt in Zim. A little lighter than the pelicases and will also hold any dirty clothes going back, effectivily stopping nosey people :whistle::)

18. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    For ammo I have a cabelas brand ammo case that is made from aircraft grade aluminum! Took three boxes of 416 , two 458 Lott, and a knives and ammo pouch! TSA locks and in the checked bag it goes!

19. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    The pelican 1400 case is a good choice. It can hold 100 rounds of any type of hunting ammunition including nitro large bore stuff.

Dual locks for TSA padlocks and some bubble wrap and good to go.