Ammo Box

These ammo weight limitations threads are academic. Has ANYONE ever had ammo weighed? I haven't.

Thanks for this.
South African Airways website states 5kg of ammo per person and no mention of the container weight

https://www.flysaa.com/manage-fly/baggage/checked-baggage/special-baggage
That's exactly what I saw on the SAA website as well.

Even if I have to include the case in the weight (which I probably will to avoid any possible trouble), it shouldn't be a problem.
Wife is shooting a 270WIN and it weighs less than half of what my 375H&H ammo does.

Appreciate the assist.
Delta, an anti-gun, anti-hunting airline, has their own interpretation. It's why they will never see me on one of their planes nor recommend them to anyone else.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of them either.

11B5A225-D000-4F75-952F-53D5E19096A9.jpeg
836A75F1-9C8B-424A-BE28-D372E9E036D7.jpeg

The case I have been using for years.

From ICAO:

With the approval of the air operator, cartridges 5 kg maximum gross weight per person for sporting purposes, in
checked baggage only.

So it seems that the regulation allows every airline to do whatever they want with that "With the approval of the air operator" phrase.

So it seems that the regulation allows every airline to do whatever they want with that "With the approval of the air operator" phrase.

That's the way I interpret it. As long as the total is within the five kilo limit.

TSA, didn't see any mention on weight limitation.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Delta
https://www.delta.com/content/www/e...s/baggage/before-your-trip/special-items.html

States a limit on ammo to be 11 lbs, INCLUDING case.

I seem to recall this same limitation on other airline websites.

South African Airways website states 5kg of ammo per person and no mention of the container weight

https://www.flysaa.com/manage-fly/baggage/checked-baggage/special-baggage
Thank you for posting this! I believe Delta has changed their regs. Pretty sure it used to be 11 pounds not including the case.

Actually, a significant number of folks have had their ammo weighed. See the recent thread https://www.africahunting.com/threads/has-anyone-had-ammunition-checked-for-weight.47840/ initiated by Hogpatrol.

For what it is worth, do not forget a small TSA lock when you weigh the closed box. Yep, you can spend 1/2 hour arguing with the airline counter folks, or you can remove one cartridge from the box to allow for the weight of a small TSA lock, and not turn the checking process into a stress test...

I use the MTM ammo Travel-Survivor dry box (size large). It is lighter than the Pelican (which in this case is important) and works perfectly, not to mention that for $15 it is unbeatable (https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Survivor-Ring-Seal-Large/dp/B002KENWZY?th=1)

Even if I have to include the case in the weight (which I probably will to avoid any possible trouble), it shouldn't be a problem.
Wife is shooting a 270WIN and it weighs less than half of what my 375H&H ammo does.
I think that this is the right approach. Last year it took 58 rounds of .340 Wby and 34 rounds of .470 (both pretty big and heavy rounds) to get to 10 lbs. 15 oz with box and lock. Plenty enough...

One trick though, can be to have one rifle in the wife's name with a separate US Custom Form 4457 and a separate SAPS 520 in her name, and you instantly can get twice as much ammo should you feel you need it.

Based on another thread, the average consumption for most people (including rifle sighting, the occasional miss, some 'coup de grace' rounds, etc.) is well under 3 rounds per animal. 80 rounds should get you through 30 trophies with room to spare...

Attachments

• Screenshot (458).png
    Screenshot (458).png
    525.1 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
I use a large MTM Caseguard pistol box with two locks which gives me room for 6 boxes of ammo depending on what I pack. Your ammo goes in your checked bags in a locked case until you get to Joburg. Then it has to come out and be checked separately for domestic flights. Don't use TSA locks. They won't stand up to the handling over there. I found that out the hard way on one trip. One of my locks was bent so bad I almost didn't get it open. I use medium size Brinks 4 digit combo locks on my ammo case and large Sesame 4 digit locks on my rifle case. No keys and they can't be picked. Take a couple spares just in case. Even my Sesame got tweaked once but not enough to cause problems, just a little hard to open.

One trick though, can be to have one rifle in the wife's name with a separate US Custom Form 4457 and a separate SAPS 520 in her name, and you instantly can get twice as much ammo should you feel you need it.

Based on another thread, the average consumption for most people (including rifle sighting, the occasional miss, some 'coup de grace' rounds, etc.) is well under 3 rounds per animal. 80 rounds should get you through 30 trophies with room to spare...
I think I'm going to have to double our paperwork.
I've been weighing ammo and trying to get 7 kilos of crap in a 5 kilo bag and the paperwork seems like a good solution.

Does it really matter who the rifle is registered to, or just who declares it?

I've been weighing ammo and trying to get 7 kilos of crap in a 5 kilo bag and the paperwork seems like a good solution.
Yes it does. The ONE REQUIREMENT is that if your wife declares the rifle on her SAPS 520 (hence she is allowed to bring "her" 11 lbs of ammo), then she must be the person with the US Form 4457 for that rifle in her name. South Africa Police Services equate the US Form 4457 to a "rile permit."
Unless your wife would be prohibited from owning a rifle in your State, she must come with you when your register your rifle with US Customs (Form 4457 bearing the current year stamp) and get her own Form 4457 for her rifle.
I am assuming (?) that you use Afton House (or similar) for a pre-approved SAPS 520 and a meet & great service at the airport. If so, getting 2 SAPS 520 pre-approved is not going to add much cost to the typical $100 fee. What really costs is having one person waiting for you at international arrivals and walking you through the formalities: that cost is the same, whether only one of you, or both of you, have a SAPS 520.

My recommendation is to do everything 100% "by the book" to, at best, not turn the formalities into a stress test; or, at worst, not get your rifle/ammo impounded or God knows what else could be conjured up by a disgruntled, incompetent or power-crazed agent/officer hell bent on making your life miserable. They are rare but they exist, there just like here...

Last edited:

Just make sure all the paperwork names match, SAPS form to 4457.

Yes it does. The ONE REQUIREMENT is that if your wife declares the rifle on her SAPS 520 (hence she is allowed to bring "her" 11 lbs of ammo), then she must be the person with the US Form 4457 for that rifle in her name. South Africa Police Services equate the US Form 4457 to a "rile permit."
Unless your wife would be prohibited from owning a rifle in your State, she must come with you when your register your rifle with US Customs (Form 4457 bearing the current year stamp) and get her own Form 4457 for her rifle.
I am assuming (?) that you use Afton House (or similar) for a pre-approved SAPS 520 and a meet & great service at the airport. If so, getting 2 SAPS 520 pre-approved is not going to add much cost to the typical $100 fee. What really costs is having one person waiting for you at international arrivals and walking you through the formalities: that cost is the same, whether only one of you, or both of you, have a SAPS 520.

My recommendation is to do everything 100% "by the book" to, at best, not turn the formalities into a stress test; or, at worst, not get your rifle/ammo impounded or God knows what else could be conjured up by a disgruntled, incompetent or power-crazed agent/officer hell bent on making your life miserable. They are rare but they exist, there just like here...
Just make sure all the paperwork names match, SAPS form to 4457.
We are getting our 4457's done tomorrow at Dulles CBP.
One for her and one for me.
And we will each have our own SAPS form as well.

My real question was that when the gun was originally purchased, it was in MY name, not hers.
Not because she can't own one, she just doesn't.

Plus this is super cool, my wife is downstairs right now doing dry fire practice...awesome.

We are getting our 4457's done tomorrow at Dulles CBP.
One for her and one for me.
And we will each have our own SAPS form as well.

My real question was that when the gun was originally purchased, it was in MY name, not hers.
Not because she can't own one, she just doesn't.

She's legal to own it? You just gave it to her. The only time that gun's history will be checked is if it's used in a crime. This paperwork protocol of taking rifles and ammo is done all the time. QUIT WORRYING ABOUT IT! :p:D

We are getting our 4457's done tomorrow at Dulles CBP. One for her and one for me. And we will each have our own SAPS form as well. My real question was that when the gun was originally purchased, it was in MY name, not hers. Not because she can't own one, she just doesn't. Plus this is super cool, my wife is downstairs right now doing dry fire practice...awesome.
Unless your wife would be prohibited from owning a rifle, who purchased the rifle in the US is irrelevant, this is not something that CBP will ask. Beside, you are legally allowed to give a rifle to your wife without doing a FFL transfer. I am actually willing to bet that a very large number of rifles in the US belong to people who would be hard pressed to show a FFL paper track for them. If only thinking about all the guns passed on from father to son, etc. You are all good!

PS - tip for dry firing practice: stand up an empty shell upside down (i.e. standing on the open end) on top of the scope turret. If she has a trigger jerk, the shell will fall. You will be amazed how much this can improve someone's shooting. Also, have her dry firing while aiming at game pictures on which you have pinpointed with a small dot the aiming point. It unconsciously ingrains the proper sight picture in the brain...

Last edited:
I have a much better handle on the SAPS/4457 situation now, thanks to both Hogpatrol and One Day...
PS - tip for dry firing practice: stand up an empty shell upside down (i.e. standing on the open end) on top of the scope turret. If she has a trigger jerk, the shell will fall. You will be amazed how much this can improve someone's shooting. Also, have her dry firing while aiming at game pictures on which you have pinpointed with a small dot the aiming point. It unconsciously ingrains the proper sight picture in the brain...
I like the idea of the pictures of game with a dot, haven't heard of that before.
The balance trick is pretty cool too, although I know she's gonna make me do it as well.
BTW - I have slo-mo video of her shooting my 375, she's all trigger...no flinch.
Now me, that's another story...

One thing to keep in mind when choosing an ammo case is that some countries / airlines require the ammo box to be taken out of your duffle and checked as a separate bag. It’ll need to stand up to the baggage gorillas. I had this happen last year when flying out of Windhoek, Namibia.

One thing to keep in mind when choosing an ammo case is that some countries / airlines require the ammo box to be taken out of your duffle and checked as a separate bag. It’ll need to stand up to the baggage gorillas. I had this happen last year when flying out of Windhoek, Namibia.
Which is why I like the Pelican 1200.

I just checked South African Airways and it allows 5 kg per license holder.
Since both the firearms we are using are in my name, I am the license holder and therefore only allowed 5 kg total and 200 rounds per caliber.
Shouldn't be too much of a problem considering I get to take out the weight of the case and only weigh the ammo.

Still having a problem finding the actual chapter and verse in the TSA rules on ammo.
Little help?

Not always leaving South Africa I had a ticket agent disagree made me reduce ammo case with ammo inside to under 5kg when I protested he just said it’s my airport so extra clothing had to find room in backpack. Too big a case for 40 rounds
No explaining what each airport ticket counter may do now I use 1200 pelican case.

Just got back from Dulles (VA) CBP office- now that was an experience.
If you live in the District/Maryland/Virginia area and have a question about this, send me a PM.
It's not related to the ammo box and I don't want to hijack the thread.
At the same time, it's not worth starting a new one.
Not always leaving South Africa I had a ticket agent disagree made me reduce ammo case with ammo inside to under 5kg when I protested he just said it’s my airport so extra clothing had to find room in backpack. Too big a case for 40 rounds
No explaining what each airport ticket counter may do now I use 1200 pelican case.
Wife and I have separate 4457's and will have separate SAPS as well.
This means we can each take a 5 kg (case + ammo) Pelican 1200 case for each of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg