Ammo boxes

Guster

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Looking for advice on what is airline approved for ammo boxes.
I'm a Canadian going on my first safari in May, just trying to get my homework done earlier. Thanks

Small Pelican case. Then take out the amount of foam to accommodate the ammo you are carrying. 11 pounds total including the case. I only shoot factory ammo. See Royal 27's post pertaining to carrying reloads.

The pelican works well or a small cash box lockable might do, depending on the amount of ammo.
The cash box is a cheaper choice

I just used a plastic GI ammo can that can be bought for a couple of bucks. It has a hole for a lock and a handle where the luggage tag can go around. You can stuff it with socks or foam rubber to keep the other ammo boxes from rattling around.

another vote for pelican..

Small Pelican case. Then take out the amount of foam to accommodate the ammo you are carrying. 11 pounds total including the case. I only shoot factory ammo. See Royal 27's post pertaining to carrying reloads.
Ditto...I did the same thing

I flew on Delta. The 5 Kg. weight limit is for the ammo and the containers used to house them, i.e. the paper/plastic/cardboard 20 round containers. It did not include the weight of the lockable box and or the locks that South Africa requires ammo to be carried in. I used a lockable plastic ammo can from Cabela's. Both of my sons did the same, no issues going or coming.

Local camera shop might have them or just order it from MEC.

https://www.mec.ca/en/search?text=pelican+1200&org_text=pelican+1200

It will do the job. When they throw it on the baggage carousel you won't have to panic that it will fall apart and spread your ammo around an airport.

Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 3.56.08 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Pelican. It has provision for two locks. I use a couple mini master locks. Never had an issue with these airlines:
South African Air, Delta, Air France, Lufthansa, or United. For management/cull hunts, I generally ship 100 rds of small caliber and 70 rds. of the bigger stuff & even with the Pelican's weight, I never exceeded the 5k limit.

I use the medium Pelican. Can also accommodate my knife and a Leatherman and any misc. tools for scope adjustments, etc...

I use Pelican when flying SAA which requires you to check separately. Otherwise a smaller, cheaper and lighter plastic Ammo can packed into my bag.

IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Pelican are pretty hard to beat; any time I've flown and shipped ammo it's been Pelican.

Pelican are pretty hard to beat; any time I've flown and shipped ammo it's been Pelican.

To me, it's just the weight and bulk. If I can put it in my bag, then I opt for something simpler. Totally agree if it's getting checked separately.

I'm guessing all of you guys recommending Pelican are assuming an SA hunt. And Pelican is fine for that.

But for someplace like Moz or Zim you need something tougher and more durable, right @buffybr ?

proxy-9.jpg

I opted for a pelican type case (it was actually a made in Canada company, and I got it on sale at Henry's). I put my reloads into one of those cheap cartridge boxes, and nestled it in the foam. My thinking was I wanted a slightly bulkier outer box for protection, but also visibility. I wanted it to not be more noticeable in case I was not allowed to pack it in my bag.

The foam I picked out I actually used in the smaller cartridge box to protect the bullet tips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross