Advice on first Dangerous Game rifle

Phil, my .416Rigby runs standard loads. I think it is more attest to how hot the load is in my .375H&H.

Yep, I figured that would be the situation. Federal lists there 400gr ammo velocities from 2300-2400fps. A 300gr .375 runs about 2500-2600, so yeah recoil would be similar.

My .416 Rigby loads were running north of 2600fps, that packs a whallop on one's shoulder.

A lot of good info to think about folks. Luckily Norma loads quite a few DG chamberings and being in the EU ammunition is currently relatively easy to get for 404J, 375H&H and 416Rigby (whilst the UK is still in it that is...)

Scrummy don't overlook the 416 Ruger. I have it in the Ruger Guide Gun and to date have taken. Cape buffalo, Lioness and Elephant with no problems. I'm holding that rifle in my Avitar! I have a 458 Lott as well that
Packs a big punch!
But you can't really go wrong with a 375!

I would probably buy .416 Rigby if I were you. Here in the USA the ammo is crazy expensive hence why I like my Rem .416. I own the .458 Win, it's a thumper but is no long range weapon. The .416 Rigby is a long range weapon.

Interesting point about range. I guess those fat 458 slugs aren't going terribly quick to start with and are losing speed at some rate...

The .375 H&H, .404 Jeffrey and .416 Rigby are legit 200 yd + guns with little effort.

Scrummy don't overlook the 416 Ruger. I have it in the Ruger Guide Gun and to date have taken. Cape buffalo, Lioness and Elephant with no problems. I'm holding that rifle in my Avitar! I have a 458 Lott as well that
Packs a big punch!
But you can't really go wrong with a 375!

Hmmmmm, The ruger looks interesting but given finding 375H&H is a special order job in the UK I think 375 Ruger might be akin to rocking horse do-do...

Shouldn't be that difficult. You need to go to the places that can sell and order ammo and ask. Try a couple of different places.
I just saw the 416 Ruger ammo available in South Africa last week but didn't ask about the 375 Ruger

Shouldn't be that difficult. You need to go to the places that can sell and order ammo and ask. Try a couple of different places.
I just saw the 416 Ruger ammo available in South Africa last week but didn't ask about the 375 Ruger

That's SA buddy, big bores are truly rare beasts up here...

That's SA buddy, big bores are truly rare beasts up here...

Fair enough! Good luck to you in whatever you decide to land on.

I like the 416 Rigby recommendation. You can buy a CZ 550 for about $1100, send it to Wayne at AHR for his CZ #1 upgrade and have him go through it to make sure it feeds/functions and is reliable and be in for about $2000.00 Another good option is a new Winchester M70 in 416 Remington. My son has a Model 70 Classic in 416 Remington and if you're not a handloader the Remington Safari Grade 416 ammo loaded with 400g A-Frames is hard to beat for a soft point. The 404 Jeffery is a lovely round, but they tend to be pricier, which may or may not matter to you.

Many of us know the dilemma you are going though. When it came to decision time for me I could not decide on one caliber ...so both a 375H&H and a 458Lott found a new home that day:whistle:.

This of course does not help you in any way...just thought it might produce a smile or two:rolleyes:

R.

You said you had a 9.3 that you liked, why not have it re-barreled or re bored into 375HH 416Rigby or that other classic 404Jeff

I first and foremost like doubles. But have a bunch of bolt guns like I have really come to like and respect the 9.3x 62 to the point that my 375 has only been out of the safe once in the last two years. 375 has is one of my all time favourites and has proven itself world over. out of the 416 or 404 I just like the 404 best. Both will do everything you you have stated you want in a DG rifle. If I could only have 3 bolt guns it would be a 7x57, 9.3x62, and a 404Jeff. My suggestion is buy the what ever 416 Rigby or 404 Jeff that you find first and just shoot the crap out of it and share your adventures with us here on AH.

Hmmmmm, The ruger looks interesting but given finding 375H&H is a special order job in the UK I think 375 Ruger might be akin to rocking horse do-do...

Edgars have 375 ruger ammo in stock.

My 375 guide gun took a few months, but not too many.

The main downside is bullet choice unless you reload.

I recently borrowed my PH's 416 on a lion hunt. It more than got the job done and the recoil was minimal because the rifle had a mercury recoil reducer in the stock. I believe it was a CZ 550.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg